Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Underworld Scene

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
DarkAlleyEthics polycounter lvl 8
I am beginning a scene from the movie Underworld for my portfolio. I will post my work as it's created. Any and all feedback is much appreciated.

This is my reference:
UW_port_ref.jpg

This is what I have blocked out so far:
UW_Blockout.jpg

Thank's for checking it out!

Replies

• DarkAlleyEthics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm about to start the floor and I was wondering how most of you would attack this. I was thinking a combination of modeling and zbrush. An advice is appreciated.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do not know Zbrush, so I would be modeling everything. I am anxious to see more!
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    I definitely would sculpt those broken pillars. I just see those pillars as zbrush rich targets.
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
    off to a great start with your blocking Dark. From what your reference shows (and what my memory serves from the scene in the movie,) there's really only that one rubble pile in the corner of the scene. I think you could get by without a lot of z-brushing.

I think what is really going to sell your scene will be the lighting and how you lay down your grunge. Best o' luck. I look forward to seeing more!
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    check adam brome's site.
    he made this exact enviro
  • DarkAlleyEthics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the replies so far, definatly helping me get started on the right track.

The pillars are getting zbrushed for sure. I can't wait to do those.

I'm kinda bummed that this scenes been done before but I love it and I plan on seeing it through. Plus Adam's super talented and most definatly someone I look to for inspiraton anyway.

Thanks again for your replies, please keep em coming.

Here's the block out with a bit of modeled terain. The zbrushing on the terrain would mostly be to add cracks and chips and make the broken areas more detailed. Plus I want to get really strong in zbrush and I feel like this would be a great opportunity to practice.

UW_Blockout2.jpg
  • DarkAlleyEthics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm, he must have removed it, because I don't see it on his site. I'll do some thread searching. It's got to be here somewhere. Thanks for the tip btw.
  • DarkAlleyEthics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More to the terrain:
    UW_Blockout3.jpg
  • DarkAlleyEthics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe this is as far as I will take the terrain for zbrush, unless anyone has suggestions on that. My plan is to take this floor into zbrush and use chipped/cracked rock alphas create a nice detailed normal. I will do the same with the pillars as well as sculpt them a bit. For the rebar coming out the top of the pillars should I model those or use decals? They're not to close so I think I could get away with decals.

I'm now working on the stairs and platform in the back of the room and will update when I have a something nice to show. :)
    Update:
    UW_Blockout4.jpg
  • DarkAlleyEthics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added the stairs to the back of the room. Still working on the scale of everything so it all matches up:
    UW_Blockout5.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    DUDE! Awesome! I fuggen loved that scene from the movie as well. Good choice! I removed the scene long ago from my portfolio as it was some of my earlier work and no longer find it useful for what I'd use it for. I have, however, uploaded it here for you to browse through if you're interested.

It already sounds like you're off to a better start than I was; I never bothered sculpting anything and in retrospect that was a big mistake. Can't wait to see yours finished!

EDIT: I just had a quick browse and found I still have all the reference shots I had taken. I assume you have your own, but a few more won't hurt!
  • DarkAlleyEthics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SICK! Adam, thank you so much for these links! That's more reference than I can shake a Lycan at, but I see now so many small details that I never knew existed, for instance all the busted up electical conduit and switch boxes. Excellent share dude! I'm super inspired to take on this scene now! Thanks Again!

DAE
  • DarkAlleyEthics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I couldn't get anything good going in the texture department (need to update my texture library), so today I continued to model from the new reference provided to me by Adam.

Here's my progress:
    UW_Blockout6.jpg

I'm going to keep modeling tonight and then try and do a combo of texturing / zbrush tomorrow.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    all the textures needed here can be found in any urban environment, go out and take some photos and make your own, good skill to have
  • DarkAlleyEthics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    all the textures needed here can be found in any urban environment, go out and take some photos and make your own, good skill to have

No doubt, thats how I've built my library so far. I'm going to run into San Francisco tomorrow and get some more good reference. grunge safari ftw!