Home General Discussion

H.A.V.E. Online, is it a TF2 Rip off?

Replies

• killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    The game is being called "an embarrassment" to the Korean game industry.

i wonder where they're quoting that from. an embarrassment? really? ... hmm, it's different enough, i think, it doesn't seem all that bad. the video having similar shots, that was no doubt directed by marketing, which can be so shameless. whatever works to make money.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    I think BF:Heroes looks really similar to TF2 also.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    pretty sure class-based multiplayer FPS games have been a genre since before tf2... tf2 just made it more popular than it was. The art style isn't even that close. Shrug.
  • Thefirston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thefirston polycounter lvl 9
    it seems pretty close to tf2, but they may have been able to change enough that they can't get sued for it
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    its not like nowadays games dont copy stuff from each others :) wev been in an fps rinse and repeat for 10 years heheh. OH well, at least the art is fun to do so ^^
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    I figured it was bound to happen, but I didn't think the copy attempt would be this blatant or this terrible. They took the vivid characters of TF2 and replaced them with cheap anime schoolgirls. Lovely.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    They probably have no idea why they chose this music style other than TF2 having done so. But I think it's a little too much to call it an embarrassment for a whole country's game industry. I agree killingpeople about the marketing people and this kind of "smart" people are everywhere on the planet.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Looks pretty average yeah, but the similarities to TF2 don't bother me so much, even though it's quite obvious they were largely inspired by it.

Kinda reminds me S4 League (another Korean online shooter), which also borrowed quite a few things from TF2, but mostly gameplay elements, as despite also being cartoony they definitely had their own visual style (and the game is actually ok too).
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Well it would of been nice if they made the weapons a little more different... I can't call it a rip off, it like final fantasy 9 art style, but FPS. It's just just another FPS with cute looking characters. I think they really should of pushed the anime thing though, as in the use of weapons. Give them more anime style weapons. Huge guns found in anime and magna comics, but they didn't bother. The game looks fun though but they did rip off some of the items though which is lame....
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    It seems to me like they love TF2 and they were trying to bring that sort of thing to a new market. If it doesn't play nearly as well as TF2 but people still like it, they may actually move to TF2. The specific similarities are too strong for it to be a "rip-off", I think. Usually you try to be more subtle about it if you know you are guilty of plagiarism. To me it comes off as more of a homage and I'd like to try it.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I can see why people are reacting the way they are, but in all honesty I never thought "TF2" at any point while watching that trailer.
    Battlefield Heroes conjured more of a TF2 vibe than this, for me.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I really don't see the problem. Are all RTS games warcraft or starcraft rip offs? I think not.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    if tf2 was anything like that game i wouldent be playing tf2!
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Watching the images it looks like it were "TF2 meets Anime", but it's something totally different, maybe inspired, but that's all.

the game looks cool enough, and i thought in toy story (asian version) hahaha. The design fits perfectly their tastes, asians love anime.

TF2 is bored as hell after 2 matches. bam bam bam and all the same.
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    My first impression was. Hey look, Haruhi is in a video game.

I think it could be a lot of fun. I look forward to shattering my opponents into plastic shards.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    were do i play this game?
    do want:)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    Same here Vigman
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Gameplay wise it isn't really anything like TF2 despite some artistic similarities. You choose your character from "one of 100 models", add some decorations, choose which weapon you'd like to spawn with and then go shoot up the other team. It's closer to Team Arena than Team Fortress.

There's no question that theres been some inspiration taken from TF2, but calling it a blatant ripoff is simply wrong.
  • flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flow3d polycounter lvl 18
    kinda.... a bit I guess
    but their character design (not that its anime, more the clothes they wear) is cooler than what the fatasses at Valve came up with, so I'll grant them the right to do this..
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    flow3d wrote: »
    kinda.... a bit I guess
    but their character design (not that its anime, more the clothes they wear) is cooler than what the fatasses at Valve came up with, so I'll grant them the right to do this..

You're kidding right?
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    flow3d wrote: »
    kinda.... a bit I guess
    but their character design ... is cooler than what the fatasses at Valve came up with, so I'll grant them the right to do this..

hahaha u muuust be kidding. what valve did with the characters in team fortress 2 is near spectacular! each class has SO much character, you crazy
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    flow3D is obviously drunk and doesnt know what he´s saying.
  • flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flow3d polycounter lvl 18
    somethin bout those little pills..
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    God damnit, they beat me to it.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i'd call it a rip off. that's not simmilarities, that's downright copying in some places (one eyed-demo man, demo nades, scout double jump and base ball batter, minigun + ubercharge, presentation of the sniper class, etc.). That's like taking everything iconic from one game, put it into some different kind of "art-style" (i don't call anime an artstyle but that's a personal taste issue) - it's not even very creative and hell there are rats map for every some-how-modable-game outthere.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    download a bunch of anime skins and play a rats map in tf2 and you get this. They should be ashamed of themselves =)
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Well, the trailer is a blatant ripoff. Obviously the music is.

Just goes to show, if you're lacking any sort of creativity...add your generic anime characters into the mix. This could easily be a bad TF2 mod. Really bad. With DM gameplay.

And Battlefield Heroes doesn't play at all like TF2. Its only similarity is its painterly low poly style.
  • [Deleted User]
    They took the music, classes, and weapons from TF2, the maps from CS rat maps, the characters from anime, and made a big pile of what.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kotaku? really? a bunch of mindless idiots circle jerking the "writers"

this doesnt look anything like TF2 art style

I do however think that whoever made the video wanted to make it look like TF2 with the choreography and music and pacing.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Errr a game does something similar to another game and this is news? Seriously?
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the point here is that TF2 showed that you can be innovative and careful with your design decisions in a genre that was and is turning in circles since the release of the first DM game. If there is a lesson to learn from TF2 then it might be: Think out of the box in terms of graphical style and gameplay design or at least always think about why you chose to do what. And this is obviously there they are missing out. They just copy-cat (in gameplay and in graphics), which is a waste of programmers' and artists' skills for some kind of mediocore cash-cow.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    e-freak wrote: »
    the point here is that TF2 showed that you can be innovative and careful with your design decisions in a genre that was and is turning in circles since the release of the first DM game. If there is a lesson to learn from TF2 then it might be: Think out of the box in terms of graphical style and gameplay design or at least always think about why you chose to do what.
    Neither did TF2 invent comic shaders nor was it the first teambased FPS.

Both the graphical style and the gameplay in TF2 are amazingly good, but they are not something new. Stuff like this has been done before and will be done in the future.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Valve added a touch of humor more than anything elseto the genre. Which was dangerously tight cast as a humorless void. They successfully combined a few things that never where even on the same shelf, to make something new.

Good cooks don't invent a new kind of cow. But they constantly come up with new ways to cook the same cuts of meat into amazingly different meals.

When the world is a dark and freakishly scary place, I think people look more to humor and simplified things when they look to escape. I think TF2 hit right on a sweet spot when people where getting burned out on overly realistic and complicated games that started to mirror their lives. Kind of defeats the purpose of escapism if you run to the thing you're running from.