Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jedi

After a badass trailer form Blur i got really inspired, and decided tos tart a new character:
36jedi.png
My main concern at the moment are proportions, i want to block them before i get to the real sculpting, so every advice would be helpful.

Replies

• t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Right now the proportion of the head to the body gives the impression that he's not very powerfully built. Then again Jedi's aren't bodybuilders, but a bit more mass on his shoulders and scaling the head a down a bit would be more appropriate imo.

Either way I like the head and the hands. Good start.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Nice start ! At first glance, I'd say that the head is a bit big (especially the neck) and the hands a bit flat and too long as well. I may due to the angle, though.

can't wait for the next update.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good so far, the head is great, I can already feel the personality :D
  • adamlewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good start. I agree the main issue right now are his proportions. Here's a simple liquify edit to give you some ideas:

jediliquify.jpg
  • morte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tahnks for replies guys!
    t4paN- Thank you, gald you like it! well you certainly got the point, i would like him to be build rather like some average guy rather than some superman proportions.
    Renaud Galand- thank you!
    hobodactyl-glad to hear that, thanks!
    adamlewis- big thans for this liquify image! On that one he seems a bit to tall for me, but it really helped me see some mistakes i did.
    So here is a new one, i am quite happy with this, i will shortenb his feet a bit, but besides that, i think it is ok. what do you think?
    36jedi1.png
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice improvements ! The legs still seem a bit short to me, though.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    did u use the base mesh from arshlevon ?

i ask because i can see a lot of similarity and some of teh common proportions mistakes that occurs from using that base mesh.

the whole posture of the body looks awkward and the boots look a little too big. the leges look a little short too. i kind of agree with the paint over from adam since it gives teh character more powerful proportions.

i would make the head and hands a bit smaller too.
  • morte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renauld Galand- thanks!
    MM- nope, to be honest i don't really know who arshlevon is. Everything here is done by me. Thank you for your feedback! :)
    update:- new proportions fixes and i've started sculpting the boots.
    36jedi2.png
    Regards!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Me rikey.

The the jaw/throat area is looking a little saggy, so I'd suggest pulling it in a tad and suggesting more Adam's Apple. Not too much, just enough to make it a little more slim.

His shoulders seem a little narrow, at least in my opinion. You might do well to experiment with different shoulder widths.

I'd also make his thighs just a smidge bulkier towards the hip. Not enough to give him chicken legs, but they might look better if they aren't so straight up and down.

Lastly, it may just be me, but his feet look slightly long for his height. It might just be the way they're shaped that's throwing me off, however.
  • morte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    many thanks for comment Swizzle!
    new image, i didnt work on this much since last update:/ Do you guys know some good tutorials for cloth or folds?
    36jedi3.png
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey morte, looking cool !

here's something you will find usefull for sure :

http://www.selwy.com/2009/zbrush-clothes-tutorial/
  • morte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huh a long time no post, been doing other stuff:)
    Big thanks for the link Renauld!

A bit thinkgs to do, but now i feel the high poly part is slowly ending.
    36jedi4.png
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    dang man. great update!
    You have some great fabric folds sculpted there. I loovveee sculpting fabric. Its fun. Its zen-like.

The jedi face is looking swell too, I wish though that I had some bigger shots to look closer at though. From this distance it looks like the hair and beard could use some work. Its not bad, but its not great.
    Another thing is the deco design on the belt. You could do a lot better. Right now it looks like you masked that area off then extruded it and left it at that.

Aside from the obvious I assume you just haven't gotten to the hands yet. But i know you will! So kick ass! Looking good! :)
  • adamlewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work morte, you've made excellent progress with this character. I think you could still spend a lot more time working on his hands though, as they still appear very soft and undefined. It might help you to first block out the forms into simple shapes (rectangles for the fingers etc.) and concentrate on the gesture before defining any of the secondary features.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    great update man! really nice start on building up the cloth. you are getting really close on wrapping that up. some areas like underneath the arm on his lats seem a bit repeated, and the cloth buildup underneath the belt doesn't work too well IMO. You may be better making two big leather strips that go underneath the belt in place of it. The cloth tucked into this area however works really well. I know a Jedi is supposed to be very simple, but adding in these leather pieces may help add just a little extra but not too much. The boots look great but the faces of them feel unfinished over the shin, and the hands need attention that I think you just haven't gotten around to yet. The head is looking really good and i like how you sculpted that out. Post up some head shots and views of the back. I posted a quick paintover of the leather strap idea i'm talking about. Keep it up man, this is going to look great!!!!!!! oh! and make a nice hardsurface lightsaber to boot! :)
    36jedi4.jpg
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    i think youve gone a bit pinch crazy on the boots
  • Ancient-Pig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ancient-Pig polycounter lvl 18
    Lookin' great! I agree about the boots.. the folds are too tight.