Home Technical Talk

Artweaver paint app

mod
Offline / Send Message
rooster mod
Anyone playing with this?

i started a hunt recently for some new and interesting paint progs, came across a few that I like, but I think this one seems to be the most promising, and free!

http://www.artweaver.de/index.php?en_version

it has (from my playing) a pretty decent (so far) brush engine and colour bleeding which is pretty much all I want from a paint app. only thing missing is SAI's realtime horizontal flip preview

check it out :)

ps: another much more limited app, which I kinda liked the feel of (well, the watercolour brush)
is twistedbrush free edition: although I'm pretty sure I'll focus my attention on artweaver for now

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Gimp for Painters and Gimp Paint Studio
    its so sad that booth links are not written in English or offer at least a rough translation.
    In a way thats a bit drag down for me to even test it out because support / read about sources are difficult for me to translate.
    But certainly booth very impressive - I wish the official GIMP project would steer more towards a professional target audience like Blender for example does. Like now its often to crappy to start with it mainly because of the GUI which is so eewh
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    oh thanks that was a interesting read,

though from a technical perspective the Japanese link seemed to be more interesting with 2 new brush engines or so it looked to me. Almost like openCanvas and some zBrush lazy mouse or gravity brush.

its nice to see such projects evolving
  • thinkinmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thinkinmonkey polycounter lvl 15
    Lampoly, really thanks: now Gimp looks more artistic and in a so simply way!
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys should check out ArtRage if you haven't. Very solid real media sketching program, and it has a free version that has most of the good features.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I never liked the interface of artrage- ugly and non- productive in my eyes. Sai on the other hand nails it pretty well - super customizable and easy readable interface without any fancy effects or experiments that went wrong.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I have artrage and like it, but I much prefer a more customisable brush engine like sai and artweaver. I'm actually finding artweaver's brush interface much more intuitive than sai's, although there are a few clunky bits to artweaver that are getting in the way (switching brushes, changing bleed ammount, etc) many instead of click drag, are click, click drag. which is a bit annoying
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    here is another one:
    http://mypaint.intilinux.com/?page_id=9

this one is even used for the next Blender Movie "Durian"
    http://durian.blender.org/about/
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I've been following Mypaint for a while, but I want a windows 0.7 build!
    I'll give Artweaver a go later. I've been reading the blog of the GPS-guy for a while too, but haven't yet tried the application. The recent release of english documentation will probably change that :)
    (ps. Google Reader can now automatically translate a blog into any language. Not perfectly, obviously, but it works well enough for most purposes.)

edit: what's the link between Project Dogwaffle and Artweaver? lampoly suggests that Artweaver is a renaming of Pdw, but that's still around too, and certainly looks much different. Oh, and that one's still payware, too.
  • thinkinmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thinkinmonkey polycounter lvl 15
    I'm with MightyPea: MyPaint looks really good, but the Windows version has no layers feature.
    Anyway, Artweaver and GPS are really good to do good painting.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hmm, i tried mypaint (if its the one I'm thinking of) and the brush engine was baffling. Looked like you could get some decent results if you really wanted to put the effort in, trouble is I don't.. just want somethign thats easy and flexible. definately designed by a robot programmer (no offence programmer types!)

edit: oh, by the way while I was searching I came across a really nice simple animation program called pencil. looks very handy for making animatics/storyboards