Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Japanese Helmet

Hi everyone,

I just signed up for poly count yesterday. I am a student at the Art Institute of Orange County. My major is visual game and programming. I worked on this piece about a year ago. I will be sure to post more of my work later. I modeled everything here in 3ds max and I did the texture and lighting in Maya. Tell me what you think.

Thanks!

DannyBriggs_FinalRender.jpg
IMG%5D

Replies

• whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Its to dark on the helmet from the lights to distinguish any type of detail.

What have you worked on recently?
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    Hi Daniel,

I'm assuming the focus of the scene should be the helmet but yet my eyes are directly pulled to the blown out light on the left side. I would try to tone that down and focus the lighting more on the helm.
  • DanielB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo,

Thanks for the critique I agree completely. I think toning down the light will make the helmet stand out a lot more. I tried to go for a high dark/light contrast. I was hoping the rays of light and high specularity of the helmet would give more eye movement. Another thing I noticed was a slight stretch on the front of my wooden stand. The original .jpg is a lot larger and I feel it holds up better at that size. I need to find these old files and do some touch ups. Thanks again for the post.

"What have you worked on recently?"
    whats_true,

Well since then I have been working a lot programming games in XNA and C++. As far as 3d models I did some work on a video for a car called the Amphigator. It's made by a car company in my area and it drives on land and water. I made a base human model which I eventually turned into a boxer and did motion capture for. I made a 1 minute length playblast of a car chase showing off different camera techniques. Along with some random props. Here are a few renders:

3653056480_96e34420fd_o.jpg
    3653056642_665a53a4de_o.jpg
    3653056690_a47fe40ec7_o.jpg
    3652234585_8cf4298a0f_o.jpg
    3652235465_37527d91f9_o.jpg
    3653031656_4d22011bb5_o.jpg
    3653032434_23e4434abc_o.jpg
    This is an older render of the volkswagon bug it looks more complete in the video.
    3652261655_9a0ca39058.jpg
    3652261635_a078f720f4.jpg
    3652260071_c0abf24bf6.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWAhZU7uicw[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJscUf-G7Bk[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttlVKJ5x9Gw[/ame]

The latest project I have been working on is my first time using dynamics, particles, and fluids in Maya. I am making a war scene with lots of gun fire and a tower that explodes and crumbles to the ground. I am compositing it in layers using After Effects. It is really cool so far I will start posting more of my latest work as I fix it up.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPQgPul83K8&feature=channel_page[/ame]

For some reason youtube discolors my videos. This last one is not nearly as dark in the actual .mov file. Does anyone know what it is doing that?

Sorry some of my youtube videos get fuzzy for some reason.

Thanks again for your two posts. Please tell me what you think about my work I am very curious what everyone has to say. Thanks!

--Daniel
  • DanielB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also fixed the image size of the Japanese Helmet. Sorry for double post, here it is:

3653458772_9c23691202_o.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It all looks pretty good =)

Crits:
    - Overall I see a common theme of very little ambient or 3 point lighting. In general terms a black background without strong rim lighting is going to make it hard to distinguish the forms.
    - The 3D text isn't helping things too much, makes it look amateurish. Also the name implies its an amphibious vehicle but its set in a very industrial scene.

Without seeing any wireframes I would say you need to work on textures and lighting.

Looking forward to seeing more, keep it coming =)
  • DanielB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Vig I appreciate it.