Home General Discussion

Lie...DETECTED!

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Rated Rrr polycounter lvl 17
thank you

Okay, so recently I had to take a polygraph test for a job I'd been waiting to get for sometime now. It was my first time ever hooked up to a machine that could call me out on my fibs and I have to say I've never been so nervous before in my life.

It was pretty straight forward, the guy sat me down talked for an hour or so about all the things I've done in my life and after that I was hooked up to the machine and proceeded to have a mini panic attack.

While I answered everything 100% honestly, all I could do was shake and feel like I couldn't breathe. After answering the questions a few times, he thanked me for coming by and lead me out the door. Now I'm waiting to hear back (which will probably take a few weeks) and all I can do is read up on how I probably failed the test.

Anyway just wanted to let that out and see if anyone else had to go through this process and if you handled yourself a lil' better.

Replies

• alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Is it normal that studios do polygraphs on their candidates? holy shit, i gotta clean out some skeletons in my closet
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    What reason was there to be so nervous?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    wtf . Is that actually legal to give someone a polygraph?

I would only agree if the interviewer was hooked up too.

talk about big brother
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    some branches of the canadian government require you to take a test like that for security clearance I believe. Of course... those can be pretty sensitive positions... game company? not so much.
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, no wonder you were scared. It scares me even, probably not for the same reasons though, this is just an enormous invasion of privacy and i would not ever take one. If you were getting a job at the FBI/CIA or something, i might understand but i still would not take one.

good luck though ;)
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I always wanted to try the accuracy of lie detectors... But not at the expense of a potential job :p
  • penrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penrod polycounter lvl 14
    Just to clarify a few things...was this a job in the game industry?? They made you take a polygraph test?!? That's pretty crazy considering how laid back the industry is.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Daaark wrote: »
    What reason was there to be so nervous?
    Because by being taped up to it you're giving them consent (you volunteered to it) to ask you anything, literally.
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    interesting...they must do some top secret shite...I work for the military doing the art for the simulations, went through a 6 month security clearance period where the governemnt varifies the past 10 years of my life...along with a drug test, badge, and finger print identification to even get into work and they didnt even give me a polygraph..eh seems like they are going through a little to much trouble.

as for being nervous..its just the fact you have a ton of stuff hooked up to you and you feel you have no control of the situation. I would also question the legality of the poly.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    kat wrote: »
    Because by being taped up to it you're giving them consent (you volunteered to it) to ask you anything, literally.
    If you've lived a decent life, and haven't committed any crimes or fucked a goat, it should go pretty smoothly.

I've been in a similar situation, being behind closed doors, and tested, while being told there would be repercussions if I spoke about what went on in there, and it wasn't even that serious.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    don't worry about it
    they make a new zero after hooking you up

though i may be stating the obvious, the first few questions are to "calm u down" to get to a point where they can find a range which is ur 'comfort zone'. its not ur normal heart rate, but its ur 'normal when hooked up to the machine.'
    then when ur asked each progressive question, they see the jumps etc to determine what a 'lie' looks like. for example, they'll ask a few questions they know the answers to, and you'll answer, but you'll still register a jump in heart rate. they need to understand what ur average jump is when u get asked a question.

they have all sorts of things that they keep in mind.
    being hooked up to a machine is daunting, and im sure they know that.

i wonder how detailed these guys' NDAs will be.
  • dehebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    never had a poly, would be interesting, but man what was the job?

I've previously worked for a BAe Systems and was required to sign the official secrets act, they do some sniffing around, contacted plenty of people; they asked permission, but ofcourse if you don't give it then you ain't getting in! at the time I thought it was kind of cool.

As long as you don't have corpses in the foundations of your house I'm sure be ok :)
  • Rated Rrr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a little bit of info, the position is for a government gig.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah. that explains it.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    should of said the only polys you deal with are gons, and stormed out.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    were you allowed to not answer particular questions - therefore avoid a negative or positive answer?
    do you like girls?
    and/or are you a terrorist..................
    and are you human?
    correct response: "my body is......"
    MV5BMTkwNTEwNTk5OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDkxOTUwMg@@._V1._SX529_SY400_.jpg
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    Well, I remember that US government admited that they have fake videos prepared to use with Saddam Hussein talking to his followers to lay down arms. I remember it quite clearly because first thing that came to my mind (and to every racional person I think) was: "yeah, and the same way you can make anyone in the world to confess to anything that would be suitable for your crusader plans."

So maybe they´re just recruiting people to make up some new terrorist. Even Bush stopped caring about Usama long time ago (right after tapping iraq oil)...
  • Rated Rrr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    should of said the only polys you deal with are gons, and stormed out.
    Not before flipping the table over.
    were you allowed to not answer particular questions - therefore avoid a negative or positive answer?
    They didn't ask me any "non-pertinent" questions or control questions. I wish I could have avoided questions, I would of skipped the whole thing.
    ghost-d wrote: »
    So maybe they´re just recruiting people to make up some new terrorist.
    Do you get dental with that?
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've seen how to fool a lie detector. All you need to do is lie about something true, and vice versa, well at least this works if it's right after one another.

It will pickup the lie about the truth and not so much the lie about the thing your trying to cover up.

Either way, that shouldn't be legal to do that for a job, at least any normal job.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    The first few questions were probably really easy ones. They do that to benchmark where you are at because everyone is different. If you were nervous going into it and shaking from the start, chances are it would read normal through out.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    The trick is to cause pain/trauma to yourself, so that your heart rate/BP/voice stress and such are the same, even on control questions. So like, stick a thumbtack in your shoe and step on it before you answer questions. :D
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    oh man. i've always wanted to be hooked up to one.

i'm convinced i could beat it!
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So...

are you now, or have you ever been a member of the communist party?
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    i always wanted to try and beat one ! i would have been excited to get this chance !
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    If you've lived a decent life, and haven't committed any crimes or fucked a goat, it should go pretty smoothly.

I've been in a similar situation, being behind closed doors, and tested, while being told there would be repercussions if I spoke about what went on in there, and it wasn't even that serious.

So they tested you to see if you had any secrets, and then told you to keep a secret? What if you went to another company that required the same thing, and then asked you questions about the stuff the first company told you to keep secret? you are still under an NDA, what do you do then? Sometimes the secrets you keep are meant to be kept, and a process like this invades that valid privacy.

I don't see where this has anything to do with having a decent life or whether you fucked a goat. (which, aside from being illegal in most places, is really no one's business. I was 16, lonely, and there weren't any girls within 150 miles, you judgmental bastard!)

Ya know, we'll prolly just have to agree to disagree, but as far as I'm concerned, a polygraph is an interrogation tool and has no place in an interview. I've held a government job which entailed handling sensitive information on a daily basis, and never once had to take a polygraph, even after something was "lost" or went wrong somewhere... times when they have a legit reason to say "Are you lying?"
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Lie detector in a job interview...that's just weird! So very weird.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Take a valium before hand?
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Remember, its not a lie if you believe it
  • super_villain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
    I got thru two interviews for a city job, and I was going to have to take a lie detector test as well. The funny thing is, the guy that did the second interview was talking to me in his office about it. He said, "you know they don't actually prove anything, right? The results could mean anything." I don't know if he thought I was hiding something, but they just wanted me for the job or what, but I though it was very interesting of him to point that out.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Vassago wrote: »
    The trick is to cause pain/trauma to yourself, so that your heart rate/BP/voice stress and such are the same, even on control questions. So like, stick a thumbtack in your shoe and step on it before you answer questions. :D

I dont even want to know why you know that..
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you do the stress/pain thing , they would know something was up and probably not even do the test. then you wouldnt get the job anyway.

only sure way is to believe in something until you truly believe its true.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    00Zero wrote: »
    only sure way is to believe in something until you truly believe its true.

Dag yo, getting all Nineteen Eighty-Four on us. Master the ways of doublethink!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    They probably do it to deter those not up to the job. Or something to hide.

The results are probably meaningless, it's the matter of taking the polygraph it's self that is the true test.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Mythbusters tried the pain beats a polygraph test. the tester could tell every time Tori pressed down on the tack.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    next time you get one just wear a short skirt and flash your cunt at them a few times. you'll totally get the job.
  • Rated Rrr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken wrote: »
    it's the matter of taking the polygraph it's self that is the true test.

That's deep Hawken :)

Well it's monday, I'm going to call down there soon and see if I need to keep looking for a job. I'll let you know.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    well dont forget to show your vag... remember to shave the initials of the guy7 that's interviewing you too!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Lou: What's your name?

Jerry: Jerry Seinfeld.

Lou: What is your address?

Jerry: 129 West 81st street.

Lou: Did Kimberly steal Jo's baby?

Jerry: I don't know.

Lou: Did Billy sleep with Allison's best friend?

Lou: Did Jane's finance kidnap Sydney and take her to Las Vegas? And if so, did she enjoy it?

Lou: Did Jane sleep with Michael again?

Jerry: Yes! That stupid idiot. He left her for Kimberly, he slept with her sister. He tricked

her into giving him half her business, and then she goes ahead and sleeps with him again. I mean she's

crazy. How could she do something like that? Oh that Jane, she makes me so mad.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Asherr wrote: »
    Mythbusters tried the pain beats a polygraph test. the tester could tell every time Tori pressed down on the tack.

Grant was able to beat it.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    So did they ask if you smoked mary jane before or something?

What kind of questions were you worried about...
  • Asherr
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    jox wrote: »
    Lou: What's your name?

Jerry: Jerry Seinfeld.

Lou: What is your address?

Jerry: 129 West 81st street.

Lou: Did Kimberly steal Jo's baby?

Lou: Did Billy sleep with Allison's best friend?

Lou: Did Jane's finance kidnap Sydney and take her to Las Vegas? And if so, did she enjoy it?

Lou: Did Jane sleep with Michael again?

Jerry: Yes! That stupid idiot. He left her for Kimberly, he slept with her sister. He tricked

her into giving him half her business, and then she goes ahead and sleeps with him again. I mean she's

crazy. How could she do something like that? Oh that Jane, she makes me so mad.
    HAHAHA!!! Yes!!!

"It's not a lie if you believe it." - G Costanza.