Home Contests & Challenges Archives Game Art Workshops

Workshop #1- Blenderhead

Andreas
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Andreas polycounter lvl 11
Kinda went a bit crazy, so I'm way behind.

preview01.jpg

Modelling the letters was a bad idea. Took an entire evening just for that.

preview02.jpg

Hopefully will have the panel done by tommorow, then on to the main body.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like your biggest problem is trying to dive right in and do all of your details first. Really its best to get a nice, clean blockout of all of your forms and shapes nailed down first, and then when that is all done, you can go back and make it messy by adding all of the detailing etc.

Also, is that the mesh *after* sub-dividing, or is your cage really that dense? Its hard to tell but it seems like you got some areas done, sub-divided, and then went back to model more stuff in, without first getting the shape modeled entirely. Thats a big no-no in my book.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I agree. In a production environment this would have been the worst possible way to work. That second image was a screengrab of the mesh subdivided once.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah ok, next time post wires of the cage, or the sub-d model pre-subdivided, it just gets confusing otherwise.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    preview01y.jpg

Finished the panel. No floaters where there aren't seperate parts on the actual object.

preview02.jpg

If it seems really stretched to you guys let me know, this new widescreen laptop is driving me mad, all my work suddenly seems stretched haha.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you're making your hard edges really hard, zoom out a bit and relax on the super sharp stuff. You'll notice when you have the rest of it blocked, gotta force yourself to zoom out a bit and make sure you have an idea of the whole, not just focusing on the small details. =)

The sides of that little panel are actually straight, it almost looks like you modeled in the perspective distortion?

As far as the monitor goes, wrong resolution? It looks fine here.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha yeah, I modelled that in. I'll pull those edges up. Good tip in the zoom/edges/blocking out thing too, I'll definitely address that thanks. :)

I also sorted out the widescreen issue; hadn't configured it in the the nvidia panel yet. :\