Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sniper Rifle

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
EmAr polycounter lvl 18
Hi! This is the WIP hi-poly model of the sniper rifle from our current project. I'm modeling in Silo as usual:

sniper_polycount.jpg

Thanks a lot for looking, any C&C are welcome :)

Replies

• Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    looks good, but simple, there should be more action going on on the stock frame and barrel. btw, I use silo too and was wondering what renderer are you using? looks good!
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the comment, these are standard(PrintScreen) screenshots from Silo viewport BTW. They are taken from the same viewport with different angles and composed in photoshop so the gradients match.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    Not bad EmAr. The execution is solid but I think the design is a little bland right now.

The profile silhouette drawings are cool, but when you see it in 3d it looks a little too boxy.

I'd consider adding some tapering to the main housing of the rifle... wider at the bottom slimmer at the top, just to make it more interesting in FPS view instead of looking like a flat box.

there are also some large flat areas that could use a little some more detail. I see you've cut IN to the housing of the rifle in some areas, but there are no parts of the gun that stick OUTward to contrast the design, and make it more dynamic.

The scope has some good detail going on in it, and also seems much more detailed than the rest of the rifle. Consider taking other areas of the weapon to that level of detail to add interest.

Well executed sir, but overall I think you could make it cooler and more interesting.

cheers!
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks Adam. Sorry for the late update but I had this university entrance exam(similar to SAT I guess) yesterday. Hopefully I'll be able to try fine arts departments.

Not lots of improvement but just wanted to show how it's going. This is a sci-fi rifle BTW, it's a prototype or something like that:

sniper9.jpg
    sniper91.jpg
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    An update on the rifle first:

sniper92.jpg

I started a pistol also:

tabanca5.jpg
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    I like it but the barrel looks a little plain. The main part of the rifle is pretty busy then theres just a long cylinder coming out. maybe a fold-out bi-pod might help or something to balance it a bit more. lookin good though
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks imb3nt, here's an update:

sniper93.jpg
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow. update helped it a lot!

The protruding shape below the barrel isn't really working with me, personally. I think it could terminate where the barrel starts and would be a lot better.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    now were talkin!! gooood shapes :P
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks a lot guys :) I modified the piece under the barrel, I think it looks better now, I pulled it back a little too:

sniper94.jpg
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 15
    Its coming along nicely! If i had to crit I'd say the barrel is looking a little boring, the end peice is fine though. Maybe you would consider using that protruding shape to support the barrel somehow.

Keep up the good work!