Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WiP] 80's Action Hero

Hey everyone,

This is my first time posting work on Polycount. I've been doing 3D for about four/five months now and I'm starting to work on my portfolio. I just started this character the other night, so there is couple hours of work put into it already.

I have a tendency to jump around from characters too much, so my goal for this project is to have a full completed character for my portfolio. (modeling/mapping/texturing).

Any Comments or Crits are greatly appreciated.

wip1n.jpg

Replies

• c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    looks awesome dude, but BIGGER knife!
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    yea it's a great start! I agree with cold about the knife, it's about the size of a paring knife right now. the wrinkles on the pants and boots need to be refined and are rather lumpy atm, as are the soles of the boots. I'm also pretty sure there are more than four loops of laces on most combat boots.
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob07777 polycounter lvl 14
    I agree with the two above, first of all about it looking awesome and second of all about the knife and folds. I think those poutches might be a little small too, the only thing he could carry in those are some matches or a credit card. Can't wait to see more, great start
  • chademond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone, I really appreciate the comments and crits. I'll be reworking a lot of this model today based on you guys. Cheers!
  • chademond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update:

I fixed some of the things you guys mentioned like the straps/folds/containers.

I also removed the knife for now, and am considering different places to put it.

C & C Welcome.

rambowanabee01.jpg
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Shouldn't the waist of the pants be up to the belly button for and 80s action hero?
  • RobStites
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobStites polycounter lvl 8
    skayne wrote: »
    He looks very generic. I realize it's a work in progress but I feel like I see things like this all over the place. I don't really understand why I see so many generic male and female anatomy sculpts... do people really want to see that in a portfolio? I understand their importance as studies but without application to a character I don't see how necessary they are in a portfolio. But yeah, I know this is more than just an anatomy sculpt.

So i'll return to my first comment, he's generic and ultimately he lacks character. I don't really know what's best for a portfolio but in my opinion companies will have seen hundreds of generic male army characters, find a way to make him stand out. A bigger knife will be cool but won't make him feel any different from the countless other models out there that look like this.

Also I'm not believing the folds in his pants, those intense wrinkles in the crotch/ waste area make me think the pants are tight... but are obviously baggy; I'm just not believing it.

Talking to recruiters and artists in the industry, what they want to see in portfolios seems to come down to personal preference a lot of the time. I've been told they want to see more unique objects and I've had a recruiter tell me I should have more crates and barrels in my portfolio, so take your pick. Really when it comes down to it, just try to make cool looking shit, they might love it or they might hate it. :\

Back on topic, what kind of sweet ass haircut is this guy going to have?! Spiky flat top, mullet + bandana? I NEED TO KNOW!

Also, those pants need some pockets.
  • chademond
  • chademond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's and update: tried to give him a bit more... character :)

update3.jpg
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    ear + fingers give some love to please :D

also A symetry those wrinkles on the pants , way to uniform right now

not a fan of the beard sorry :p

also give some hair stubble under hoodie/scarf if you decide to add a beard there.

other then that looking good :D
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah I also don't dig the beard. Combined with the bandanna it makes him look like an old chubby biker, but clearly that's not what the rest of his character suggests.

I think the veins in his forearms are too strong and too smooth/continuous. They really pop and make the total symmetry obvious.

Other than that I like what you've got going on and I look forward to more updates.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    no way, the beard is rad.

only thing that's been bothering me is his triceps, they look too low, usually there's some space between the elbow and the bulge. maybe super huge arms do that? just doesn't look right to me.
  • chademond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys, I added the beard at the request of the art director that this character is for (for a game).

Here's a quick color test I did to see how things look. Ill be fixing all the things you guys mentioned right away.

colotest.jpg
  • warriah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warriah polycounter lvl 12
    hmm i liked your pants wrinkles in the first post, should have kept them.

i think the overall anatomy could use some tweaking, forearm area, the back of the arms, the rib cage and the triceps like killingpeople mentioned

i would look at kimbo slice for some reference if you havent already, because it really is starting to look like him with the beard and all heh
    http://bigsteez.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/tankkimbo1.jpg
    http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/watchdog/blog/kimbo-slice_image.jpg
    http://fiveouncesofpain.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/img_8367-shamrock-and-kimbo-02.jpg

just my two cents.

keep it up
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    i always thought recruiters are looking more for skill, whether it's demonstrated on a super generic anatomy study or on an interplanetary hyperchicken... that shoots lazors. As long as whatever you're doing is executed really well.

Anyways, character is looking cool (liking the massive beard :P) tho the anatomy is a little shaky in places as has been said. The boots are kinda bugging me, might consider doing them in sub d and just detailing in zbrush if that (can't all be richard smith :P).
    As far as design goes he is lookin a little plain, tho maybe just throwing in a huge gun would fix that =D
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    holy shit its KIMBO SLICE!!! hahaha...

needs more chest hair please! looks sweet dude
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Dont worry about those haters, the bead rocks. :) lol.

At this point i think your not too ready for textureing yet. You still have those modeling issue to address in the pants and arms. Wrinkles in the crotch and fixing some anatomy issues.

I think this dude is coming along nicely and you should go that extra mile to make it shine. Think about what the others said, and keep pushing it, making it your own. Best of luck, I think this could come out really, really nice.:thumbup: