Home Technical Talk

intuos stuttering

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
This is driving me mad. I am not sure if its the intuos drivers or zbrush but I am getting variable performance from my intuos and at time its like painting with a brick ie lumpy stokes, lack of pressure sensitivity etc.

anyone got any ideal drivers driver settings that work really well.

I am running windows vista ultimate 32 bit

I am even now thinking now it might be the pen itself . I do take my stuff to studios on freelance jobs and it might have got bashed around a bit

my graphire had no issues like this and had great pen pressure in both pshop and zbrush

Replies

• numo16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    numo16 polycounter lvl 9
    which intuos is it? I've noticed my intuos4 occassionally acting odd in zbrush
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    did the error occure from one day to another or is this a new setup that's giving you the problem
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    seems that when I first used it it seemed perfect, but I am not sure, just seems to have creeped in.
    I now have a second monitor and an external driver connected, but I don't think thats it
    its an intuos 3 BTW
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    - got VIsta+ ? then perhaps disable the tablet/writing recognition feature in the OS
    - try reinstalling the drivers
    - if it is just zBrush and not for example PS or msPaint check knowledge base at zBrush
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah its one of those things where its either I am 'just jabbing it too hard' to quote kryten form redf dwarf:)
    or the drivers are borked
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Not to worry you, but my Intuos 3 did that in two situations:

1) It was too close to my laptop, picking up a lot of radio frequency interference
    2) While it was on its way to dying completely

I hope #2 is not the situation you are experiencing because I also carted mine back and forth a lot and got it bashed around quite a bit...
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    I had the exact same problem and it was because of Vista's built in tablet stuff getting in the way of the Wacom drivers.

I'm not using Vista at work so i cant see the specific option names, but if you go through and turn off/disable ALL of the pen/tablet/writing recognition features it may fix the problem.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Illusions wrote: »
    Not to worry you, but my Intuos 3 did that in two situations:

1) It was too close to my laptop, picking up a lot of radio frequency interference
    2) While it was on its way to dying completely

I hope #2 is not the situation you are experiencing because I also carted mine back and forth a lot and got it bashed around quite a bit...

Intous'es can actually die ?? That's honestly the first time I ever hear about that. I also take mine back and forth a lot, but do handle it with care...
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah , I only just bought it a few months ago.
    It is very close to my laptop though as my desk is very shallow and the wacom and laptop barely fit on it.
    Could be interference I suppose.

I turned off vistas inbuilt tablet stuff already and set all my graphics drivers to maximum performance

Its very weird as for a a few hours a day it works great and I can get some very fine detail and then the next day its all blobby strokes again.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had that happen where pressure sensitivity just craps out and I get stuttering. For a while it was only happening in photoshop and I thought it would only happen if I switched to something else while it was loading. But then it happened a few times out of the blue while working in Mudbox and also in max, its harder to tell in 3ds since it already stutters horribly... I normally end up restarting the system and it works again for a while.

It was happening at work Vista and home XP. Now it only happens at home. I did switch from wireless headphones at work to wired and I still have wireless at home so maybe that's the culprit?

I've never had a wacom die on me, freaky to think RF interference could do it...
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Have the same problem Vig mentioned on my Int 3 on Vista. Restarting helps but its annoying when it just randomly starts stuttering and I lose pressure sensitivity and have to restart.

This dying thing dosnt sound good and I hope its not it as I only got mine like 6 months ago.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Autocon wrote: »
    This dying thing dosnt sound good and I hope its not it as I only got mine like 6 months ago.

I had mine for over 2.5 years before it started having that problem due to its eventual demise. The USB cord becoming damaged was most likely the case. Otherwise the only other time I've had that stuttering was due to RF interference from my IBM laptop (if it was less than an inch away it would start up). RF isn't going to kill it, its just going to interfere with the pen and tablet communicating with each other.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    its behaving ok tonight. I am going to test in out on my other laptop which has xp installed and see if there is any difference.

seems like there is no definitive answer to this. I was hoping perhaps someone knew of a really stable driver version
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know if this is related to your problem or not, but I used to get stuttering on the cursor position from signal interference when I was using a CRT monitor if the tablet was positioned too close to it. I moved my chair back (I keep the tablet on my lap) and it went away.