Home General Discussion

Forum's 'Homeliness'

Does anyone remember a game dev web forum called developer's corner? I miss that site, it only had a few hundred members but in a way that was great because you got to know a lot of them. I don't get that at any of the forums I visit now, those being polycount, game artisans and cgtalk. Maybe that's a good thing, or maybe it isn't. There must be a way of strengthining this forum's community bond. I've been visiting this site for years and don't really know any of the members too well. Perhaps its because everyone is so busy being creative. Does anyone else feel this way?

Replies

• Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno, I tend to see pretty much the same peoples' names over and over again here - offering advice, poking (mostly harmless) fun at each other, showing off in the P&P forum, asking questions or giving answers in the Technical Issues forum, and so on. Names like Vig, SHEPEIRO, Hawken, Pior, and many more. Despite my post count I still pretty much consider myself a n00b (I've been here a goodly while, but go through long bursts of complete inactivity), but I still see names, and get a feel for their (online) personalities.

This place feels a lot more "Homey" than, say, CGTalk.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Pretty well disagree with you about the people and the relation to them here, at PC. But, I understand your point.

You've only been here a year, and have 78 posts. I'd say post more and you may come to find a friend or 100.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I've been hanging out here for a few months now and I've gotten used to a great number of the usual posters.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Before I started the "Polycount" program... my life was miserable, I had no friends, no life, no future... I was completely hopeless. One day a friend had told me about this new revolutionary program, and I couldn't believe it was true, so I decided to pickup my phone and order me a copy and give it a try. I couldn't believe the instance results I received!!1!

I now have great new friends, I live a rich lifestyle, and I get laid at least 3 times a day by utterly complete strangers... THANKS POLYCOUNT!

I've met some of the coolest people on polycount, just gotta hang around for a bit :)
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Hm, I generally think of Polycount as being a pretty small and close-knit community already. I don’t think there is really more than “a few hundred members” who actually post regularly. If anything, that’s its curse: Polycount is an intimidating place to jump into, with so much talent across so few people (case in point: I make games for a living yet do nothing here but troll general discussion every week or two).

Speaking of that, I’m falling behind on my quota: Your post is totally wrong and stupid. Also, your mom is not very classy. But, if you want to feel like part of the community, I’ll make a mental note that you’re a giant stupid face.

Feel like home yet? ;)
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    Jason -
    you forgot to mention that hard to reach "Q" zone , and it makes you a great hit with the ladies....
    polycount and ga i think are inbetweeners compared to the larger scale cgtalk and the smaller threedy and gameartist.net forums out there - though it doesn't hurt to be a member of all of them:D
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah intimidating is the right word haha, I come to polycount for a challenge, not only to up my 2D/3D skillz but its also challenging and fun getting to know others ideas or ways of working - a good way to get used to the work environment where you often find people arent all the same as you.

Post more and keep at the art, show your work more and take crits seriously and people will start to engage with you more - this is a games art forum and as such the community happens around the art, dont expect community experience without being a part of the art wether thats your own or a collaboration or just criticising others well :).
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    totally disagree...

getting to know people and networking is one of the main reasons i post here.

most of my facebook friends came from polycount, i've met a bunch of polycounters in person. in fact, my closest friends here IRL came from polycount.

almost every job or job interview i've had in this industry came about through referrals by polycounters.

again though, i've been on the boards in some fashion or another for about 8 years, either lurking or posting.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I recognize a lot of names here on PC and a DO feel like I know these people to some degree. Not to sound gay or anything, but one of the coolest things about polycount is the fact that you judge people solely on there artistic ability, advice they give, and general personality. In the real world people have a tendency to make really shallow judgments based on looks, money and so fourth. On polycount you get tough love and people aren't afraid to tell you what you need to hear to get better. But I guess I'm kind of going off topic now...

So yeah, just get a little more active and I'm sure you will feel more at home here. It's a bigger group than the other forum you mentioned, so naturally it will take longer; but your experience may possibly be much better in the long run too.
  • SinisterUrge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'll focus on this forum in the future. I've been posting in all of them a little, but probably best to stick with this one. It is awesome the amount to talented artists here, can't beat it.

@Jason: That's a classic, try to make this seem like a Tony Robbin's self improvement course.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    " 1. homeliness - having a drab or dowdy quality; lacking stylishness or elegance; an appearance that is not attractive or beautiful"

who you calling ugly? jerkface! ;-)
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    damn Justin, you beat me to it!
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which is why I avoided the obvious snark by saying "homey" as opposed to "homely" :D
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Brad explained it the best, you get a nice chocolaty cookie... mmmm
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    If you want friends just wear a Polycount shirt, it's the next best thing aside from the wolf shirts (which really work!).
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Before I started the "Polycount" program... my life was miserable, I had no friends, no life, no future... I was completely hopeless. One day a friend had told me about this new revolutionary program, and I couldn't believe it was true, so I decided to pickup my phone and order me a copy and give it a try. I couldn't believe the instance results I received!!1!

I now have great new friends, I live a rich lifestyle, and I get laid at least 3 times a day by utterly complete strangers... THANKS POLYCOUNT!

I've met some of the coolest people on polycount, just gotta hang around for a bit :)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHA!!!!!! Classic! Good one Jason!

Yeah man, I disagree as well. Sorry. Maybe you just need to find the right forum for you. Each one carries it's own atmosphere and attitude, and when you find the right atmosphere and get really involved in what's going on, then you will feel the sense of community you're looking for. You can't pick your parents, but you sure as hell can pick your forum.

oh, and the shirt does help. i made my infant son wear one so he would stop crying so much. :)
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    yeah man, there's lots of familiars here. granted, I fucking argue with all of them, but shit. you can't have everything.

sometimes I feel so familiar with the people here it's like I've got my hands around their real-life throat, strangling the shit out of it.
  • Quaggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quaggs polycounter lvl 18
    I thought this post would be about the lack of options for forum layouts. I am severely dissapointed.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    You definitely just gotta stick around a while man. I've only been posting here for a short while and have chatted to some pretty kewl dudes.

The vastness of cgtalk and places like that are a turn-off for me too, though. PC is definitely a lot more tight knit than other forums. Lots of tough love...but there's plenty to go around ;)
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i agree. the homelessness problem on these forums is out of control. its time somebody did something about it.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We can have a tea party at my place if that will help?... anyone.... anyone?
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    Will there be Crumpets?
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    be a tool...then you'll get lots of friends
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Once you have been around for a few years posting work and getting to know the people this place will feel like your second home. I know it is for me.

I love the fact that i knew people in the UK when i had never been there. That makes PC priceless to me in terms of a networking site.
    Its also the only reason i got my job/have a job. That's all because of how tightly knit of a community this is. I knew that i could trust the critiques of the people here to get better. Because you get to know people so well here i was connected with a friend of a polycounter who got me my job.

So id say this is one hell of a second home.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah, I recognize all the regulars easily. and not just because of their goofy little avatar picture either! :)

but as others have said, it's worth sticking around for soaking up knowledge alone if not meeting people and looking at pretty pictures. when I first came here as suggested to by Ben I was intimidated as hell (this is also when it used the super-kill-your-eyes look of neon green and black everywhere, but eventually you settle in, get to know people, and hell, maybe even get a job like many of us have, largely thanks to these forums
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno, I feel kina iffy about posting any WIP's here, because I'm part of the 'ghetto' of the 3D industry - I make Poser / DAZ Studio content...
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Valandar wrote: »
    I dunno, I feel kina iffy about posting any WIP's here, because I'm part of the 'ghetto' of the 3D industry - I make Poser / DAZ Studio content...

dont worry I dont even work in the industry and my contribution is to talk shite.. and Ive been round for ages.. love the place .. dont know why... hahaha