Home Contests & Challenges Archives Game Art Workshops

Workshop #1 - Ihazard

Well I know I'm new to the community but this looked like fun, I haven't done much subd stuff but I thought I'd give it a go..

Wip #1

Wip #2

Wip #3

Current Progress:
finished1.jpg

Just about finished methinks :poly142:

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, maybe I posted at the right time. Check out my thread if you're interested in fonts in 3dsmax.
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tut that really helped on the letters!
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nearly finished (not) blocked out most of the shapes, I had to redo the front part several times because I just fudged it up and it wasnt smoothing properly. Its still not 100% but I think it'll do for now. Now onto the details underneath :Dwip4.jpg
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    looks fantastic.

What im interested in here is the shader, looks very nice, care to share? :)

Could we see the wires for that badboy?

Cheers!

John
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My render setup is catmull-rom with light tracer. Theres a regular skylight and 1 omni with intensity 0.5 and colour of 206, 193, 158. The material is dark grey with spec level 65 and glossiness 32, theres a reflection map at 80 with first map falloff and second map on the white slot of raytrace. Makes it all nice and shiny ^^
    I'll post some wireframes tomorrow morning, my meshes are super ugly anyway :[
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Got ya,thanks for sharing....added to my polycount workshop tutorial files :).

John
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looking nice, interesting renders too - thanks for posting the setup :)

Out of interest, have you tried messing around with the "Object Mult" and "Color Bleed" values of the Light Tracer in 3dsmax?

If you set both of those values to around 2.0 (or higher if you're feeling adventurous!) then set the "Bounces" value to 3, it may take a bit longer to render, but you get really interesting bounced light effects with the saturation increasing where objects intersect. You can get some nice and sometimes more realistic renders this way.
  • alexl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexl polycounter lvl 10
    Looks great, like how its rendered too, thanks for the info on that.