Home General Discussion

Zbrush4 feature hotness

The new Spotlight and Lightbox feature for z4, I cant wait to try this. This is going to be awesome. :)

http://pixolator.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=071829

Replies

• Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    This does look mightily impressive stuff. Can't wait to see what else Pixologic have got up there sleeves. Hopefully, they'll not forget to fix some of the more annoying quirks of zbrush.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Some of its cool, other stuff, eh. Its like an Ipod that makes coffee. Pretty awesome, but...why?
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
  • Helixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helixx polygon
    Ya, I hope all that image sampling is intuitive, it'll make photo reference texturing a bit simpler. I'd also like to see some bugs addressed this time. :P
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the painting bit looks cool (i dont know if htats the new thing theyre talking about) but reference? cmon, its called a second monitor, get one.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    first i'm like: what the hell? don't we already have the internet and photoshop? we don't need them together and call it zbrush. then you check out more of the polypaint stuff - which does look promising. but i bet you can make anything look awesome at 20x's the speed. . .
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    Is there anything that doesn't look slick and easy when it's synced to a Fatboy Slim track?

But yeah, that stuff does look kind of neat, but it looks like it would be imprecise compared to doing the same thing in photoshop (though it's hard to tell at that speed). Not to poo on cool new features or anything, but I hope they've got more new stuff up their collective sleeve for v4.

I doubt it'll happen, but I'd love to see them support importing PS brush libraries for texturing, and the ability to paint on multiple textures at once on a triangular mesh with a normal map applied to it. Thaaaat would be cool. And voxels. And a pony.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    According to Alex Oliver this is just a small preview of what's to come. :)

I WAIT EAGERLY!!! with anticipation! >D
    August is going to Rock Ur SOX Off!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    lets wait if it really comes this august ;) i remember zbrush2.5 very well ^^
    but featurewise it looks really good what they are implementing
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    whats_true wrote: »
    Some of its cool, other stuff, eh. Its like an Ipod that makes coffee. Pretty awesome, but...why?
    You can honestly say you wouldn't want an IPod that makes coffee?
  • iatriki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some interesting stuff in that video. at the end it says "sculpt on billions of polygons"....hmmm....I wonder if it's that useless HD geometry thingie.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I wasn't sold at the start of the video; but the texturing of the black chick kinda sealed the deal. There is definitely a lot of potential time saving application in this tool...can't wait to try it myself. X20 sped up videos always make it looks so fast and easy :P
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    It is good:)

Spark
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    Hmm PicLens in zbrush? Didnt expected this one tbh.

I'm not sure how usefull this can be since you don't really know what kind of images (copyrights) you are using. We'll see anyway.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    @buddy, well if its altered dramatically it would be no real problem legally, but a headache for the legal department, HAHAHAHAHAHHA
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Damn this looks good. A lot more image editing features, and head texturing looks more efficient than the previous Z's Hopefully I'll have a new computer by the Z4 comes out.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    this looks awesome, some of you are crazies. but we already knew that.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    that is just wut i have been lookin for. the texturing capability is insanely good. or at least it seems that way
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

What if you could have instant access to billions of images?
    It really depends on where those images are coming from. If they have strings attached and the amount of monkey work I have do to get my photos into Zbrush.

If it connects to some kind of pay as you go, i-tunes style library, I'll pass. Even if the master library is free the sheer amount of recycled materials is going to get really old, really fast. OR is the leg work still up to you to find, sort size and categorize all the images. That's where the time needs to be saved...

It looks handy, hopefully it will be intuitive and they won't be reinventing the wheel.

Considering its a free upgrade to everyone that currently owns ZB3, I'll take it. If this was all that ZB4 had to offer and it was a paid upgrade I'd pass.

• Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    I love how Pixologic has these crazy ideas. Can't wait to Autodesk buy this and make them stop!

It does indeed look great but I have some doubts it will improve much my workflow, at least not as much as Decimation and GoZ. But looking good and can't wait for Zb4!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    |Buddy| wrote: »
    Hmm PicLens in zbrush? Didnt expected this one tbh.

I'm not sure how usefull this can be since you don't really know what kind of images (copyrights) you are using. We'll see anyway.

yeah buddy exactly what I was wondering too
    it looks alright, I mean its not voxel sculpting or anything that we havent seen before it just looks like it might make things a little easier if its done right.
  • fr0gg1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    Layers anyone? =/
    Blend modes?
  • silversteez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nobody has mentioned the stargate circle of tools yet? i love zbrush, but i just think it's hilarious that people complain about it's interface being from outerspace, etc, and now they're introducing all these new image editing tools on a floating, rotating circle.

i'm pretty sure if you use the proper combination of tools in sequence, you will open a portal to another dimension.
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    pretty sure its google image search, vig
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    nobody has mentioned the stargate circle of tools yet? i love zbrush, but i just think it's hilarious that people complain about it's interface being from outerspace, etc, and now they're introducing all these new image editing tools on a floating, rotating circle.

i'm pretty sure if you use the proper combination of tools in sequence, you will open a portal to another dimension.

yeah that was the highlight for me :) cant wait to use the power of the wheel from outer space!!!
    seriously!
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i personally love the wheel in 3d coat, its fast and very useful, its alot like maya's marking menus.. looks cool, anything to make the image plane texturing process easier is a win in my book.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea I'm down with the wheel, looks like a big step forward in improving the UI to be friendly and quick. Hopefully it will be customizable?
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    It's PICLENS like i mentioned before.

piclens.jpg

edit: Hmm, its called Cooliris now :P
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah. This preview left me a little cold. Oh boy, image search inside the program...no thanks. Give me maskable sculpt/paint layers w/ photoshop like control and the ability to view & edit in realtime diffuse/spec & ambient. Oh, and add a voxel + quadify tool and you're set.
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    Looks awesome. I'm waiting to see what the improved perspective looks like. Hopefully they announce that feature next.
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    looks awesome to me. hope its easy to use. well... will see
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    hmmm... Personally, I like to use photoshop for 2d, I like to use IE for the web etc.
    Nothing with the video texture wise gets me all that excited because I can already do all that stuff in bodypaint except the one thing that looks cool where they basiclly used a liquify tool to edit the projection and then project. Other than that, you can do all these things in other programs. I fear that these additions will make the UI that much more crazy and intimidating.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    hmmm... Personally, I like to use photoshop for 2d, I like to use IE for the web etc.
    Nothing with the video texture wise gets me all that excited because I can already do all that stuff in bodypaint except the one thing that looks cool where they basiclly used a liquify tool to edit the projection and then project. Other than that, you can do all these things in other programs. I fear that these additions will make the UI that much more crazy and intimidating.

hard to tell from a sped up video but the liquify tool seems to have a really cool reconstruct-like brush? The reconstucting seems to be smoothing as well as correcting the smears.
    I am going by what I saw a little over halfway through the video on the baby's eyes. As far as I know the reconstuct brush in photoshop's liquify doesn't smooth like this?

have to agree with everyone so far..
    Don't care about an image library.
    wheel looks cool.
    waiting to see if they address
    viewport navigation ( customizable or at least a mudbox option )
    more interface improvements ( beside the wheel )
    Ability to zoom close up without having to mask out the model to size
    Perspective
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    Sorry to be a sceptic but I see this in a different light to many of you.
    This new stuff is all very well and good and in some cases may be very useful but for a company that has a track record of FAILING miserably to be ON TIME and ON PRODUCT COMPLETION (ie STABILITY etc) I see this as a distraction. If they have such a hard time getting their coding right and all then how can they justify using their coding staff time on these bells and whistle aspects.
    I would rather prefer a really boring but STABLE Version 4 where all the MANY problems and workflow stuff ups have been TOTALLY fixed.

Come on Pixologic - please do not relaease another unfinished misery product where "WORKAROUNDS" are the course of the day.

crossQuoting from ZBC. one of the few reasoned responses that aint from a wetting the pants schoolgirl

pixologic ( fuck that name fucking grates on me. they're based in anything BUT fucking logic ) have a long way to go before they've proven they can implement a toolset that is coherent within a fluid environment. seeing something this far reaching in scope gives me the heebie jeebies imagining all the ways they might've fucked up the structure and access to such functionality

ZB4's making me nervous. show me a video of how you've fixed the bullshit in v3 please and then i'll start dampening my seat
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Looks pretty promising so far. I'm kinda eager to see what all they have for this upgrade. If they add another tool to the pallet, I think my head will spin. I would REALLY reALLY like to see GoZ incorporate re-topology in a 3d app back to Z...that would rock my world and then some.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not all the impressed with the video. My biggest issue with ZBrush is that it tries to be a whole lot more than a sculpting package and I guess at this point, it is more than a sculpting package.
    Everything in that video is pretty wank, except the wheel and the image plane texture projection (which I use pretty much on a daily basis at work, through a ZPlugin) to lay down a base for my textures. I wouldn't use ZBrush to actually paint my textures. That's why I have Photoshop.
  • Holi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holi polycounter lvl 16
    it is cool, but tools who can drop photoshop from my pipeline would be cooler (color correction plz)
  • anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It obviously isn't hooked into Google Image Search. In the video he searched for "wood" and not one erect penis image came up.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    I think Zbrush is already an amazing program, and to be honest, I would love more for the developers to incorporate intuitive ways to improve the current toolset rather than adding more bells and whistles. But maybe thats just me. :)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    On second thought, at the rate these developments are coming ZB-6 will sync with your home security systems, and ZB-8 will basically be Skynet.
    Oh Noooo...
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    zbrush 12 will incorporate real clay which you have to shovel in to your cd slot:)

TBH zbrush is already cool apart from the weird perspective, but that not really a huge issue for me anyway
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I hope a new feature will be "stopped zbrush from crashing when you save a file".

Really looking forward to the other stuff too and very interested in other features they have.
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Mongrelman wrote: »
    I hope a new feature will be "stopped zbrush from crashing when you save a file".

Really looking forward to the other stuff too and very interested in other features they have.

Hook your save into SubTool master's save and that'll stop the on save crashes.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    damn that's honestly the best shit i've seen in a while. o_o
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers Kary, I'll give that a shot and see about getting the others at work to do it.

Is there a way to "hook it" or do you just mean to save manually via subtool master?