Home General Discussion

Eat 3D announces The Fountain Part 1 - High Res Modeling

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Riki polycounter lvl 9
May I introduce to you an exciting new training video brought to you by Eat 3D (www.eat3d.com).

In this demonstration the instructor creates the high res version of a complex modular fountain from scratch with 3ds Max 2010. The sculpting portions of the video are done twice, once in Mudbox 2009 and again in Zbrush 3.1.
This is a 2-Disc Release with over 8 hours of demonstration and has something for everyone.

To watch a sample of the video please visit this link:
http://eat3d.com/fountain_highres

06_06_09_fountain_highres.jpg

Regards,
Riki Babington - Eat3D Admin

Replies

• Riki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riki polycounter lvl 9
    I was planning on sending the press release tomorrow, but thought it would be a good idea to post here before everyone else sees it. :)
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, gonna pick it up right away, can't wait :)
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    crazy balls! This couldn't have came at a better time. Very excited to see both mudbox and zbrush. Props!:thumbup:
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    awesome dude, thanks!
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Good stuff, looking forward to watching this.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oooooooo!!! wish this was available a month ago
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    $70? Jesus I got to get into the video tutorial business.
  • Riki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riki polycounter lvl 9
    Download is only $55 which is cheap compared to most. If you really want to make some money start a school, my friend mentioned hes paying around 80k for the art institute.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    kick ass man!!! really nice
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    cool stuff, nice move to cover both sculpting apps.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    if there's any video tutorials i would recommend, it's the eat3d broken pillar and next get texturing.
    so i've been looking forward to this one just like other people have been looking forward to terminator: salvation :)
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    Wow looks great Riki. I hope you have mad success cause you deserve it. I look forward to hearing about the opening of an Eat3D school. :)
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Riki wrote: »
    I was planning on sending the press release tomorrow, but thought it would be a good idea to post here before everyone else sees it. :)

You just don't want the competiton :) Yeah , seriously, when I worked for a school one student in one term paid my yearly salary, I'm not sure where the money went from the other 179 students a year...
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats on another fine release Riki. I will buy this like the others and thank you again for maintaining a quality that is high with these releases.

What will part 2 be? and is there only a part 2 in the works?
  • Riki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riki polycounter lvl 9
    Murdoc wrote: »
    You just don't want the competiton :) Yeah , seriously, when I worked for a school one student in one term paid my yearly salary, I'm not sure where the money went from the other 179 students a year...

wow, its really gotten out of hand lately. It was really expensive back when I went to AI in 01 ( I think somewhere around $850 a class). I was able to get out of there with an associates degree but I have a good friend going there now for a bachelor and its just crazy. Im still paying on mine, some of those guys will be paying for the entire life! :p

Thanks to everyone else for the great comments, I hope this one keeps eat3d going for sure, things are tight but as long as I can keep it up I will. :)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Riki: I have to say, that your tutorials are simply the best of their kind. I have learned so much from them, and I constantly refer people to watch them for themselves on these forums. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to seeing this one for sure.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    badass. Once I get a job again, this is mine. :)
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Looks pretty good man..I might have to check this one out.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Riki, there was no chapter on sculpting the bowl trim in Z Brush, but there was one in Mudbox. Was this intentional or accidentally missing? It goes from the prep chapter for the bowl trim then to sculpting the bowl trim in Mudbox chapter and then to the placement of the bowl trim chapter. All of the other elements had chapters for both. Regardless this DVD set is great. Very cool stuff. I'll be waiting for Part 2. Congrats on another great release.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Man I'm glad you went for the two app idea!!
    Makes me want to pick it up!
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Picked it up. Really like what I've seen so far. Congrats and thanks.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    gonna buy it when I have some spare cash
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    DO WANT! Now, I just need the money to buy it, as it looks awesome!
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey Riki, there was no chapter on sculpting the bowl trim in Z Brush, but there was one in Mudbox. Was this intentional or accidentally missing?

Hey TelekineticFrog,

The video should definitely be there, but it looks like its missing from the menu listing.
    You can find the video in the source folder at Eat 3D - Fountain High Res - Disc 2\content\source\27_BowlTrim_ZBrush.mp4
    We should be able to get this fixed pretty quick...thanks for letting us know :)
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    Bought it. :)
    Thanks for covering Mudbox and Zbrush!
  • Riki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riki polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Riki, there was no chapter on sculpting the bowl trim in Z Brush, but there was one in Mudbox. Was this intentional or accidentally missing? It goes from the prep chapter for the bowl trim then to sculpting the bowl trim in Mudbox chapter and then to the placement of the bowl trim chapter. All of the other elements had chapters for both. Regardless this DVD set is great. Very cool stuff. I'll be waiting for Part 2. Congrats on another great release.

Thanks for letting us know about this! Its fixed and you can redownload it from your account files on eat3d.

Thanks again everyone, a review of this DVD is somethign that would help us out a lot!
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to fix that and get it up with the new menu so quick. I checked it out this morning and it seams all in order now. I figured the chapter had been made just accidentally didn't make its' way in there. Guess you get a gold star for customer service again.

If anyone is on the fence at all about getting this...get it. Really great set and has a ton of useful info and is very thorough.
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know the economy is rough and some are out of work but this is something we should all try to support if possible. Riki and his crew have clearly put a lot of hard work into this. It's great for artists and for the industry.

Environment artists should see this as essential learning as it covers relevant tools and methods for what you'll be doing to create content. Additionally it's great for getting up to date with the latest for anyone who is still using old school methods or just starting to learn.

I'll try to write up more specifics on the DVD to help those on the fence after I've gone through it more but I've seen enough to know it's a great pick up.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Just bought the download version going off the good feedback in this thread. I'll watch it later today and see how relevant it is for a Maya - Zbrush workflow.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    just bought it. Ive liked all of the eat3d stuff I've bought so far. There's always something new to learn :)
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Pseudo wrote: »
    Just bought the download version going off the good feedback in this thread. I'll watch it later today and see how relevant it is for a Maya - Zbrush workflow.

Let us know. I'm not touching this until I know how 'easy' Max makes it. Maya can be a bitch for modelling stuff like this. I'd be more impressed if it was both Max/Maya then Zbrush/Mudbox.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    awesome release Riki! Will there be another VFX dvd coming?
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For those wondering about Maya so far it's pretty straight forward. Block out your shapes, manipulate geometry, use edge loops to get the geometry you need to turbosmooth your geometry for the high poly. I imagine Maya has an equivalent to turbosmooth. I haven't seen anything yet to alienate Maya users.

Riki has some great work methods that I'm already using in some new stuff I'm working on. So besides learning how to make cool stuff you get some great tips on how to work smarter and faster. He's very efficient.

Also I bought the download version as well. Nice speeds on the download. Took about 15 mins per file.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Yup, this defiantly was one of my favourite eat3D videos so far, and for the most part is is fairly relevant to maya (max 2010 seem to have added some great cutting tools... cool beans). As said in the starting of the video though, as long as you are comfortable with your software, you will be able to take what Riki does in Max, and port it over to (hopefully) any other modeling software, but i am STILL lost with how you do Path Deformation in maya, as well as the bending in maya (would that just be a lattice tool?).

Great job either way, and doing both in Mudbox and Zbrush is amazing, I definatly saw both strengths and weakness's for each package depending on what you're sculpting, which was very interesting.
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason - It's been a few years for me but I think Maya has a bend tool in the animation menu that works similar to Max.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Great video so far, it does a great job of breaking it down to modular pieces and sets up a good workflow for modeling one section at a time and re-using as much as possible. The only thing that differs from the Maya workflow is Symmetry.
    Watching the video makes Maya's "duplicate as instance" workflow look horribly clunky by comparison.

Jason - Create Deformers -> NonLinear -> Bend will allow you to curve it along a cylinder. Unfortunately, anything more complex than a cylinder gets a little more complicated.
  • Riki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riki polycounter lvl 9
    I had to use maya at SOE and its like tieing my right hand behind my back. Not to say maya isnt capable, but I have max so engraved into my brain that it was torture. The main thing I didnt like was the destructive workflow in maya. I know maya has a history but that thing gets filled up so fast, it even records each cut and other simple operations. With max you have a very non destructive workflow with using the modifier stack.

Anyway, i dreamt of making a maya/max dvd but anyone who knows a lot about maya would dismiss my maya skills haha. Plus I think it would take me 3 times longer to produce the video. I did on purpose try not to use the same approach on every piece, but there are a lot of similarities. That is why I used the path deform on the base, but a bend on most other things. Also with the details I did splines only on one, because I know it can be near impossible to replicated in maya, so I did the other one with polygons.

Thanks for the great feedback, Id love to see someone reproduce this in maya, xsi, blender, modo, or whatever. :)
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Really nice tutorial, when is the next part coming out., I wants its now!!! LOL
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Just bought it, downloading now. I can't wait! Your Unreal Materials DVD saved by butt this semester. I haven't tried the pillar one yet, but the next-gen texturing techniques was very good too.

I wish you would allow these to be put into School Library's though. My professor is constantly on the look out for DVD's like this. Any plans for this sort of stuff in the future?
  • Riki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riki polycounter lvl 9
    Stradigos wrote: »
    I wish you would allow these to be put into School Library's though. My professor is constantly on the look out for DVD's like this. Any plans for this sort of stuff in the future?

Tell your professor that we do offer a great deal for universities to have access to a streaming version of the video either on their private website or even on eat3d. We are currently working with several large schools and its really simple to implement. You can understand why we dont want a large school to buy a single copy and give it away to all their students for free.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Kickass stuff, looks really useful!
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Tell your professor that we do offer a great deal for universities to have access to a streaming version of the video either on their private website or even on eat3d. We are currently working with several large schools and its really simple to implement. You can understand why we dont want a large school to buy a single copy and give it away to all their students for free.

Yeah I understand completely. That's great though, I'll pass it on for sure. Thanks!
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Hmmm, looks interesting. Might buy it when I have a little bit more free time to spend on it!