Home Technical Talk

Very odd Problem with displacement map

Krisonrik
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Krisonrik polycounter lvl 17
I am running into some very strange displacement map issue. Here are 2 different renders using Maya 2008 and Maya 2009. Both of these renders were based on exact same file. I couldn't find an answer or solution to this anywhere on the web. Please help. There are some functionalities in 2009 I would like to use, so please don't tell me to stay with 2008 as an answer. Thanks in advance.

normal_render5-19.jpg

problem_render5-19.jpg

Replies

• John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like an issue with your UV seams.

you know how uvs are unwrapped in islands? well it could be that the color information on your uv map isn't bleeding far enough outside your uvs. it might now show up in 2008 because it might sample the pixels slightly differently or something?

just a guess. i dont know what the hell is going on with that weird triangle up top.

Try playing with your uvs.
  • Krisonrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks John for replying.
    Well I thought about the color bleed, but this is generated through mudbox 2009 and I can't find a setting that allow me to change default bleed range. It's very odd that I've posted this problems few times on different forums and nobody could give me an definite answer. As if I am the only person in the world who encoutered this problem.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    I'm more curious about your work flow. That model needs a lot more work before it's worth considering using a displacement map. It might be worth forgetting about the issue all together. what are you trying to achieve exactly?
  • Krisonrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I am planning for a full animatable character. The hair will be done in shave and cloth will be done in nCloth. I'm only showing the head portion of the model. It's a full body model. A lot of the suttle details are not showing. I'm still tweeking the SSS shader. I'm kind of regret using Mudbox as my sculpting program now... since my computer isn't good enough for mudbox 2009 and it would lag badly around just 1 mil polygon.
    Here my work flow, at least my plan.
    1. low poly mesh, UV from Maya
    2. Mudbox sculpt
    3. Modo projection painting.
    4. Import lowest Lv of Mudbox sclupt back to Maya
    5. Adjust the shader and texture in Maya,
    6. Rig the Character.
    7. Add Hair and Cloth,
    8. Try a little posing.
    9. Lighting rig.

I'm not sure how much flaws are there in my workflow, but I've never worked in a pro studio so it's kind of trial and error.