polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Szark polycounter lvl 12

Replies

• Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    It is rather interesting that the liscence is going back to Rebellion. They were the ones who really started off making proper AVP games. They made the Jaguar game and latered produced the first PC game. Both were pretty good. I still think Monolith's treatment of the second PC game was the best installment of an AVP game to date. I am reasonably confident that Rebellion can make a solid AVP game, but I am a touch worried about their art. The Aliens and Predators look pretty good. But the screenshots of the humans are looking a bit...off.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    i dunno, I was kind of disappointed in the monolith version of AVP. The predator and alien mode were alright, but the human one didn't do it for me.

The rebellion PC one was fantastic though--incredibly tough, had a much more authentic-to-the-films sense of lighting and atmosphere, and I think had a bit of randomness put into the enemy spawning, making it always nerve-racking and tense.

In the monolith game i never felt like just a single alien was dangerous. In the rebellion one...man, just one of those guys could take you down.

The monolith one had much better multiplayer though. Playing as the alien was a hoot!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some odd screenshots, looks good tho, can't wait. I've liked every installment so far, some more then others but they've all been fun.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    I do wish the lan will be awesome, it should be! Is that the ut engine? Very intrested in a good multiplayer fps and this got potential. :) Is there any PCs here working on it? GL
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    This is a game i will buy for sure!

The first AVP from rebellion was a good game, very atmospheric.
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    oah how cool is that, a new AVP game? Cant wait to play that.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I think the feeling that AVP1 was more atmospheric just comes from the fact that the game was a lot darker than AVP2. They tended to keep the environments a lot more sparsly lit. I will admit that this did allow for some much more chilling lighting effects, and made the environments feel more tense.

At the same time I felt that the story, pacing, and controls in AVP2 were better than the first game. Monolith managed to weave three different stories together effectively. The consistent hints to events in the other story arcs helped keep the player engaged. The human campaign featured some tense game play in the first "empty" level. The Alien's campaign was especially fun when playing as the facehugger and chestburster in the first and second levels.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i remember shitting myself while walking down a corridor as a marine...

hope they can give that atmosphere again.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Hope it has no saving and actual positional audio this time around. Rebellion did it right (and also took plenty of time for it - AvP started its development in 1996 as a Win and PSX title, PSX version dropped as it evolved though, probably for the better. Time and Rebellion equals fun thing.)

And I hope 'stranded' is back! That map made AvP ideal for coffee breaks.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I think it looks good but holy shit somebody needs to turn down the spec levels!

If it has the lighting and atmosphere of the first, its gonna be an instant hit.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah if this is as good as the first one then it should be awesome. From those screenshots I'm not hugely impressed with the visuals, but it's certainly not looking bad.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    the jaguar version ov A v P was great. Its one of the first games I ever played and was fully gripped by.
    Played the demo of the monolith version and it had all the fun sucked out
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    screenshot quality looks terrible.. looks fun tho :)
    odium: i think if you watch aliens again, you notice a lot of very strong specular. everythings wet and slick with moisture, so I figure they're actually on the mark.
    the alien screenshot tail attack looks very nice
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Which reminds me, have they mentioned MP at all with this? While I was never a big fan of deathmatch type games in this, having coop and playing as a Marine would be insanely good.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    rooster wrote: »
    screenshot quality looks terrible.. looks fun tho :)
    odium: i think if you watch aliens again, you notice a lot of very strong specular. everythings wet and slick with moisture, so I figure they're actually on the mark.
    the alien screenshot tail attack looks very nice

While I could agree with you on that point, I can't let the fact even the Predators arms look like plastic wet slime slide by, so to speak :p

Still, early days. :p
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    odium wrote: »
    While I could agree with you on that point, I can't let the fact even the Predators arms look like plastic wet slime slide by, so to speak :p

Still, early days. :p

scales man. they SHINE.

snake_1.jpg
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Thats a dull shine, which would look about right. Totally different.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.gametrailers.com/gametrailerstv_player.php?ep=61&starttime=575

AVP gameplay. Graphics look quite similar to the older games... not sure if that's a good thing for gameplay reasons or bad because its been so frikin long since the older ones.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    i remember shitting myself while walking down a corridor as a marine...

man, just hearing those radar blips at the end of the trailer gives me the hibby jibbies!!!
    one of the most terrifying games i ever played!!!!
    couldn't bear more than 40 minutes straight play, i had to quit and let me heart slow down

the gameplay doesnt feel as atmospheric... seems quite different
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh, I'm not fussed about the graphics (looks a little fullbright in the outdoor scenes, but still, it's nicely detailed) so long as they can still nail the atmosphere of the older games. Audio's always more important than graphics when building up fear and tension. Definitely looking forward to this one :D
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah the sound of the blips is what made the game fun playing as marines. There is just something about it, maybe your heart just wants to sync with it.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone remember how good the damage models were in 99 version of AVP? I mean holy shit you could just mutilate stuff. The predator's spears would pin whatever body part to the wall. And doing wild mele attacks with the alien always left people totally fucked up.

If I remember, you could even rip off individual fingers and things.

It would be cool if they did something like that in this game.... just sayin...
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    No, what a new AvP needs is an awesome lighting engine and some awesome sound design...

I'm talking some type of Doom 3 style real time lighting combined with say the sound of Dead Space... With Motion Trackers...

I hope we have just seen some of the more "brighter" areas, because I wouldn't mind some really gloomy areas ala LV-426...
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    as long as there's 3 way team combat multiplayer, and I can crawl on the ceiling and pounce on people's faces, I'm set.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    don't forget the ability to shoot out lights!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I see nothing wrong with the human models. This looks badass. Rebellion are a talented bunch.