Truespace to be buried

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
renderhjs sublime tool
saw this today
http://www.caligari.com/News/news_200905/LetterFromTheFounder.html

community reactions:
http://forums1.caligari.com/truespace/showthread.php?t=8396

sketchup on the other hand has succeeded with google, its even accepted in some bigger studios like massive black
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlgtLXhwJSM[/ame]
google vs. microsoft 1 - 0

anyone tried truespace before? - I only have odd memories like a very colorfull interface (not to my liking back then and now) with big icons and editing in the 3d view.

Replies

• dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    truespace was the first 3D program I learned to use. I used it to make 3D cockpits of WW2 airplanes.

That was version 2 or 3 I think. Kind of sad to hear that it's gone, but I'm kind of surprised it lasted this long.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Sketchup didn't need google. It was a great program on its own, which is why google bought it up. I still don't get why ms chose one of the most developmentally challenged 3d apps on the market to invest in. I can't believe they would have even considered putting it up against google/sketchup so it must have been for other reasons. The collaborative stuff they were boasting of in version 7 was awful, and very far away from being useful for much of anything. The accelerated 3d viewport stuff had potential though...

I bought version 7 out of curiosity, as I often just like to tinker around in other apps. There was some interesting stuff starting to happen, but so much of it needed so much more polish. I think it would have taken them a few years just to make what shipped in 7 useable. The app was apparently in a transition state from old architecture to new and it really showed. You still had to do stuff using the old tools sometimes, which made it feel like using 2 different apps.

Forgot to mention that one of the reasons I was interested wasn't for the core tools like modeling or animation or anything. They had the start of what could have been a cool interactive 3d authoring system for making games and such... part of what the collaborative stuff was about. The system was nodal, kinda like using kismet in unreal tech, but in a 3d app. Blender game engine can do similar things with its logic brick system too, along with some python scripting - again with the benefit of being tied into a 3d app.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    RIP. :(

Truespace is what I learned on. Though probably in many wrong ways as when I moved to a higher end program, I had to unlearn or relearn processes because of Truespaces workflow.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I still think that google took a major role in the sketchup success. Not only did they help promote the application but they also made sure that a free powerfull version was available.

The last updates on sketchup really were impressive - they really are doing well. Especially the prefab browser is very inspirational - something I would like to see in max by default included.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    I don't argue that, I'm just saying, it was doing well before google got their hands on it and would probably still be in a good position on their own. Integration with google just guaranteed exposure to the masses - even if most of those would never actually buy it. Mindshare = future sales.

I remember looking at it for doing level design/prop stuff even way back before google, because comparatively there were even less innovative tools like that around. It offers a very unique, organic way to do precision work and a 'do more with less' approach to tools, which I've always preferred. I'd love to see more of the 'classic' 3d apps like max introduce tools and workflows like that instead of just cramming more shit into every release. =]
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    truespace 2 was my first
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    it was truly awful but had a nice renderer and looked pretty overall
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    3SE was my first. it was a really cool program.. when it wasn't constantly crashing.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    trueSpace2 was my first too. A cherished Floppy disc version sent by mail by a friend, and installed on my buddies win3.1 since I had no puter at the time.
    Sad to see them go. Hopefully the guys originally behind the project could focus on more specialized tools. I remember that the booleans and metaballs were very powerful in ts3, so why not some sculpting stuff. Plus they had real lowpoly stuff in the latest versions right? That could make it a cheap silo+sculpt kind of thing.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs wrote: »
    I still think that google took a major role in the sketchup success. Not only did they help promote the application but they also made sure that a free powerfull version was available.

The last updates on sketchup really were impressive - they really are doing well. Especially the prefab browser is very inspirational - something I would like to see in max by default included.
    Agreed x10.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Yup, truespace was my first too. I messed around with v2 - and made my first animated sequence. It looked pretty cool at the time. I kinda liked the simplicity of it all - until I got introduced to Maya.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Good. What a piece of junk. Got worse with every release. It was too bad too. It seemed like they could have really done something, if only they made more effort to make it usable, and to fix all the little issues with how it worked, instead of brute forcing forward with each release.

By the time of the most recent release, nothing worked properly, and none of the team could tell you why.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    what i really loved about TS3SE was how easy it was to learn it.
    you pressed the little "?" button up in the corner, and moused over the tool you wanted explained.
    and it'd give you a really nice explanation, and even play back a short video of how it could be used.
    oh and booleans.. jeez, i used those things all the time.
    and the material editor was pure joy. so simple. i had a large library of horrible looking chrome materials, haha.
    one of the huge drawbacks of 3SE was UVmapping. you had planar maps, and that was pretty much it. i used to sit and drool at how you could UVmap really complex shapes in 3ds max.