Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Slaught´s portfolio thing wip

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Slaught polycounter lvl 18
http://slaughter.jimdo.com/

Not really a portfolio, just a little side to show off my stuff.

It´s made with one of these webpage generator things...I suck. frown.gif
I made the banner tho.

Looking for some crits and comments. grin.gif

Replies

• nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Hahaha, about three years late, but hey.. You finally got one!
    I'll post some crits later.

Grats!
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool! Simple and clean!
    Great work u have in there.
    Btw I must finish the William murderface texture i started when u release the SDK long time ago smile.gif
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Cool stuff, very good meshes! I think you should make some more textures, the armor guy looks impressive, will you finish him?

Im not sure about the photo in the contacts page, i think you shouldnt look that excited, that is creepy! wink.gif
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think your webpage is actually very effective. Not too busy.

As for the work, I think it shows a lot of promise. I was once told that I should shy away from recreating pieces that are already in games (like your TF2 sniper)because they will immediately compared to the source material, and if yours isnt' better, than it will be more obvious, than if you had done another concept. (not sure how valid that advice is, but it sounds about right to me).

I also think that you have some nice models but they would "shine" even more if you textured them.
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! grin.gif

@Davision
    Okay, I´ll replace it with a less creepy one. laugh.gif

@aldo
    I see what you mean, I will keep that in mind.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Nice body of work Slaught, the TF2 sniper looks great! The site itself is straight-forward enough, nice banner at top. Btw, are you going to add the older sdk's to the download section?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I thought it was odd that your textures weren't displayed with your models but in the 2d section, and that you had some 3d models in the 2d section. usually a 2d section is for paintings and concepts, textures are lumped in with the models so you can easily look at both
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Slaught I think you need to make your big pictures bigger and show more angles of your models. You can easily show one large image at least 600 pixels tall that has several angles of your models. Most companies need people to model and texture at a minimum, but since you have so many models that are not textured, it can leave the question in the viewer's mind can this guy texture or does he not like to finish things. In my case for example, if I didn't have to texture any of my models I would of had a full time job years ago. wink.gif Sorry for the nit pick but that is mostly the reason you can miss an offer. Nice work though really like your modeling skills just show your texturing skills more.

Alex
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ironbearxl
    Thanks.
    Yeah I´ll add every sdk I released, just didn´t get to that yet. grin.gif

@sectaurs
    I wasn´t sure how to place ´em.
    I will put the textures of my models in the 3d section.
    But what about the skins I did for other models?
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I think it would be great to tack the textures with the models on an image to show it off better so people would not have to go in and out of sections to look at parts of the same subject.

But don't get me wrong those are great models.

Man with shotgun for one.
  • sebas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebas polycounter lvl 14
    Looks promising, great shapes. You should try higher poly resolutions... keep it up!
  • _Eclipse_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Eclipse_ polycounter lvl 10
    add more screens, and of course more finished models and it will turn very nice. Definitely promising
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    A-NUMBER-ONE. show us "the skills" immediately--DO NOT start with a "home" page, you should go right to the art.
    no potential employer is going to give a bottled fart about what you've got on your "news" or whatever.

a good friend and someone who has vetted portfolios exhaustively told me to imagine whoever's viewing your portfolio as the laziest, most burned out and angry person, and that's before they even see your site. do nothing to anger or frustrate them further, send them immediately to what they want to see. the fewer clicks to the content, the better.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    haha love the photo now! great` sdk's and work - thought i agree with the other comments that you need more 'complete' work, as well as more angle/shots of each piece...

and with gauss's comment - i'd make your index/home page your 3d gallery, but still keep the 'news' page for those more dedicated and interested veiwers....
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the comments and crits!
    I appreciate it. grin.gif

Made most of the suggested changes...I took some new screenshots of the sniper and thought of using that system for every finished model.

First frame: 3 views of the model without texture, second frame: same views with texture, third and fourth frame: for texture and/or equipment.
    So you´d have one row per model.

I was also thinking of adding some links to sites of artists that inspire me (you guys laugh.gif )...should I ask every one for permission or is it safe to assume that it´s ok?

@sage
    I´m one of these guys who can barely finish anything I´m afraid. laugh.gif
    Most of my finished models with textures are too old and are not up to par with my current work so I kept ´em out.
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh lawdy is dat sum update?

I threw out what I didn´t need/liked anymore and updated the page with more recent stuff.
    Most of the screenshots are actually pretty large but some get scaled down pretty hard when the exceed a certain width...still gotta figure out a way around this.

All SDK´s can now be downloaded directly from the page.
    It´s still missing a few older models but most of the content is up.

Please let me know what you guys think. :)
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Everything is looking awesome :D bigger pictures for shure!
    big fan of your mesh work :D
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    needs moar finished stuff !!
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    Agreed, I think when you present your portfolio to others, most of it should be complete. wips are good for forums like these for people to see your progress along the way