Solid Snake

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
snaaaaake.jpg

examples of normal/diffuse/spec.
snakebodymapsr.jpg
snakeheadmaps.jpg

looking at it now, there's some rigging issues i need to address, but i'll get to that later.

tired now :(

edit: the gun was from my CSS folder, made by (folder name says): Hav0k.

Replies

• Loraine Howard iii
    so far I like what I see, how many polys is he? I think the gun is the best part right now, try to add more detail in snake suit and face. I feel like they need more polish like they gun.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    what if he has to pee?
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    i do like the overall model... but i dont know.. his face really makes him look like a heavy drug user or something :O ... nice stuff tho :D
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    oops, let me clarify/add credits.

the gun was from my CSS folder, made by (folder name says): Hav0k.

it's only intended to be placeholder until i can be arsed to build my own (not a bit hard surface fan... it bores me).

@ Dekard: he doesn't, he's solid snake.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    needs more cigarette

never noticed that lil red laser dot thing on the l.a.m. before, will go have to go back and fix that on my socom
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Why present a render of a character with such dark colours on a black background? Bizarre.

He doesn't have much muscle definition on the texture either. He has huge eyebags too.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya I was going to say the same... Its very difficult to see the character clearly with the background so dark. A nice medium gray would be great for showing him off more
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    he looks like a zombie - with the agressive and red eye's. I think the presentation rendering could use some background lighting/shading like the classic 3 point light - or change the background to non- black
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Heya Lee! Looking good! Nice to see you've got him this close to completion, which is more than I can muster most of the time.

My main criticism at this point is that this doesn't look like Solid Snake. It looks like Snakes drug addict pedophile cousin stole his outfit and is posing as him. The face needs a lot more work basically. The little hair lock you've got in front needs to be modeled such that it it grows up and then falls down. Not just a flat poly facing down.
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha love the style on this one! Especially the face.
    good work!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nice work so far. I agree with the drug comments, his eyes could be less red, reduce the bags under his eyes, and overall make his face less droopy. I think with a few small changes (because really minor things on a face can really through things off) it will look really awesome. Keep going dude.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I just noticed this but could it be that his legs are uber- long stretched? To me it looks like it was scaled by 1.25 till 1.3 if you compare them with his chest and arms
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    I love everything except the face man.
    agreed^

definitely lookn forward to updates! :D
  • GusandoX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GusandoX polycounter lvl 12
    I cant say I agree with the texture of the model , the normals look too symmetrical, the eyes are the same as the skin tone..wtf? and not sure but looks like you modeled out the hair versus using planes.. another wtf? you should look at the game for reference and also not sure again but from the way the t-page is set up looks like you painted the clothes , like straps and vest on the main characters model , versus modeling those pieces seperately on top on the main character model and then proceeding to texture them. theres just so much more detail you could have put in the suit alone.

I googled this
    take a good long look
    keep in mind all this model has was a diffuse, no normal or spec map i think
    SolidSnake.jpg
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    GusandoX wrote: »
    I cant say I agree with the texture of the model , the normals look too symmetrical, the eyes are the same as the skin tone..wtf? and not sure but looks like you modeled out the hair versus using planes.. another wtf? you should look at the game for reference and also not sure again but from the way the t-page is set up looks like you painted the clothes , like straps and vest on the main characters model , versus modeling those pieces seperately on top on the main character model and then proceeding to texture them. theres just so much more detail you could have put in the suit alone.

I googled this
    take a good long look

The straps look modelled to me, as for the hair, normals + opacity tend to not work very well so I see where he's coming from.

As for the eyes, well yeah, the need a bit more spec and more white on the diffuse for sure. His eyes do look pretty red at the moment.

/edit also he could do with a bit more pocket thingies taht are hanged from the straps etc, and you can just link those to the rig instead of attaching them to the mesh, I think.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    GusandoX wrote: »

I googled this
    take a good long look

here's how i actually made him (in terms of clothing layers).
    snakeprogress.jpg

here's the max wireframe.
    snakewires.jpg

i've done some tweaks to the face high poly today, to try to remove the bagginess from under the eyes.
    i'm having trouble with getting the eyes to look right though, i always seem to come out with too much or too little spec, the colouring i'm putting down to (in that render) the shader in marmoset, as the eyes and head shared the same .obj export they both used the skin shader which has a pinkish hue. next time i'll be sure to export both sepperately to try to get more control.

i'm also working on some ammo, and grenade pouches to clip around his belt. after that though, i need to call him done and move on. spending too much time on one character is something i've always been guilty of, so this is as much an exercise of pumping things out as quick as possible, as it was at remaking a favorite character of mine.

oh, and why would i use a mgs2 snake reference if i'm remaking him from the first game?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    snaaaaake.jpg

face looks better now... i think :P
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Better indeeeed. its still pretty hard to see whats going on with that black background and light setup-
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yeah i dunno how to mess around with the lights/background in marmoset yet =[
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Looks better without the eyebags, but he still looks like a burns victim who's had a stroke with that facial expression. The forarm textures make the fabric look look like big heavy folds but the geo is skin tight. Tht anatomy in the legs of your Zbrush sculpt is bizarre.

Keep going though, looking better and the gun is nice work.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Looking awesome indeed! but seriously gir, change the bg colur :/
    Also,i think you could have reduced the polys at places,esp that kneepad :)
    as far as skin is concerned, put some yellows in i guess :)

yeah i wondered why Guasandox posted that picture as this snake is from the original :P
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    That face looks a lot better. The other face reminded me Ed Norton from the Honeymooners. Keep her up.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    try importing a cube of your chosen colour with inverted normals around the character
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    a friend of mine did his own rig, no real lighting, but i thought it looked cool seeing his face move :o

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKUmRz31E_A[/ame]
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    the video and all the screens are TO DARK its almost impossible in each of the them to really read anything from the shape and exporession. You really should change the lighting or background or perhabs change your monitor - because at least here on a professional CRT it simply looks to dark.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    hope you didn't pay a lot for it, cos all 3 of the monitors i've seen it on looked fine.

also, if you didn't notice, i said someone else rendered the video for me, so that's nothing to do with me, and finally, i asked how to change the background in marmoset, and i've only just got a response on that.

i don't mean to sound like a dick, but seriously, learn to read content, not just look at pictures.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    fine its not like I need to comment here
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    look man, i'm not saying you're wrong, i'm saying i asked how to do what was asked, and when i post an update of something that I'VE done, i'll be doing those things. this was just a facial rig test that a friend did, that i had no control over. i thought it was fun to watch and assumed it'd be fun for others.

i've got no problem with criticism, constructive or otherwise. it's something i'm quite used to. what i dislike, is people repeating the same things over and over, when if they opened their eyes they'd see i'm already doing it.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I'll chime in with the others too. Can't see shit

It's hard to crit a black model on a black background
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Dont just change the background, it wont help much if the rest stays as it is. Try to load a light rig with a more diffused setup. Shapes shading to black = never :P
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    yeah i dunno how to mess around with the lights/background in marmoset yet =[
    It's under Render; just below the shadow distance and camera field of view sliders, there's a background color thing which pops up a color picker. Alternatively, you can flip on show skybox, right next to it, for a skybox.