Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gladiator Planet

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
wester polycounter lvl 13
For my senior project i'm creating characters to a world of gladiators. I'm going to post all of them in this thread as i make em.

It's basically a planet of aliens, creatures and beasts centered around millions of gladiator tournaments.

The first are the moderators of the fights. They aren't the main inhabitants...but they are from this planet. They ride on their mounts in the arena, making sure no one tries to escape. Since they are small, there are many of them in the arena at once.

The Lowpoly is done and baked...I just have to post a picture of it. I'll do that after class.

Pg4copy.jpg

Rider-1.jpg

Rider2.jpg

Rider4.jpg

Replies

• wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not exactly finished....still WIP. I have some pieces to duplicate, some normal map issues here and there, as well as some overlapping to fix.

Render.jpg
  • rjhalvorson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Character pose for some reason feels a lot like Sebulba from star wars.

The only thing that stands out to me is that he's got really long forearms and it seems like it would be really hard to hold up those massive hands/forearms with such a little bicep. If he's going to be in the arena, I would be concerned.

Looking forward to seeing more.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    That's an awesome character, I agree the forearm is massive compared to the bicep.

You can probably just scale the forearm+hand down in the lowpoly model.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i agree. I'll fix that asap.

Thanks guys.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    DUDE!!! This is the first time I've actually seen your concepts for these guys. The character matches pretty well with the concepts. You going to stick to those colors as well?

Looking good man. Low and high turned out pretty legit. Keep up the good work bud. Finish that mount and weapon!
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    Great work Wes, can't wait to see the color maps :P good luck!

I'm a fan of the massive forearms :P
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Anthony. Yeah im going to keep around the same color pallette....i might change it up abit. It's always easier for me to see the color on the actual model, than the concept.

yeah, i like the massive forearms too adam hah. im going to make them smaller and see how it looks. i'll probably keep em big though. Just cause i think it'd look rad having his arms kind of hang from the mount.
  • torontoanimator
    i like the back armor detail, but really whats the point? i mean, some of it looks like its there just for the sake of being there ya know? not that detailing is bad, i just think it should serve a purpose lol, good job still tho, love the face!
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, funny you shoul dsay that. that's what my instructor said.

My mentality going into this project was that i wanted it to be high detail, high frequency detail. I'm doing it on purpose...although i understand that it should serve a purpose.

But looking at actual gladiators, roman warriors and stuff....the symbols and marks they had on their armor, shields and swords were pure decoration. Be it for luck, religion or what have you. So they are just designs, made by the aliens...religious or cultural.

Honestly, i just wanted to make my shit look cool haha.

But i will put in to account on the other models....its functionality.
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your thumbless badass is coming along really well man. I like the subtleties in the skin variation. looking forward to seeing the other gladiators
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    i like the back armor detail, but really whats the point? i mean, some of it looks like its there just for the sake of being there ya know? not that detailing is bad, i just think it should serve a purpose lol, good job still tho, love the face!

I think the back armor does make sense, because these guys are riding on animals that seem to be running fast and if they fall it will protect their back from the impact, just like you see on motorcycle riders.
    02-041WHRD.jpg?t=1241631413

Good work so far Wes, I think you got good detailing work going on. By far the best characters I've seen in school so far, cant wait to see them textured. Keep it up dude.
  • Rokkx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick says mmm needs more "thumbzz" :p
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    wester: I think what's throwing the idea of purposeless detail is that it is kinda plain at the moment. It is detailed, but not ornate enough to read as "decorative". It reads more like regular production quality armor in a sci-fi setting.

Some of that you could likely get away with in texturing, but having a specific motif or pattern that is recognizable as decorative (to humans.. as they are your actual audience) can really help sell your intentions. Even based on say the alien's head, or their mount, or some symbol that is readily repeated in their banners or architecture.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Page1.jpg

Almost done with this little guy. I have alot of work to do on his skin texture though.

His armor isnt even textured..it's just a solid color for now to see how itll work with the rest of him.
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's pretty good for a first pass Wes, I really like where it's heading. The color scheme works well. I'd imagine you're going to really spec up the armor to make it pop off the body?

Have you tried experimenting with using more patterning along other parts of the body, his arms for example, to try and break up some of that more monotonous brown tone that tends to run along the back half of the character?
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man!

Yeah im going to really spec the armor up alot. Since it's made of brass/copper, i'm going to really push and pull those highlights and lowlights.

I am actually looking at other animal references to find some good patterns to put on his arms, side of his legs and back.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work man it's looking great, digging the concept and how much you've kept to accuracy.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Character pose for some reason feels a lot like Sebulba from star wars.
    Didn't Sebullba walk around on his hands? I guess the drippy tendrils might give them a little bit of that sebullba look? maybe the skinny apendages?

It reminded me more of a dolphin when I first looked at it.

Looking great, really nice work! The forehead might be a little too bulbus compaired to the concept but its a change I like.
  • psychoticprankster
    This looks pretty cool. Im gonna keep my eye on this one. charcter art interests me alot.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will: thanks man! I loved your windmill by the way. Emer showed it in class and it was badass.

Vig: haha, definitely does look abit like a dolphin with that snout. I didnt even realize. I guess my sub-conscious mind is a dolphin lover, who know. yeah i wanted him to have an interesting profile...the bulbous head was a conscious change :D

Thanks guys for the crits. I'm excited to see how you guys like the finished product. He's almost done so stay tuned!
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Nice design. I could see some funny animations with these guys.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Wes,

I'm diggin the work thus far. Really looking forward to your textures and shaders. Keep at it!
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update.

Finished the armor textures. I'm moving at a snails pace unfortunately, but im working on it. I still have some stuff to do on his body textures.

Working on the weapon right now, when im done with that im going to finish up on his body textures. I'm trying to have him done by the end of the night.

Rider_Textured.jpg
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks great wes
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    the execution as some design flaws imo. - i noticed even without looking at the concept art:
    gladiator_plan_edit_01.jpg
    compared to before:
    gladiator_plan_edit_02.gif
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing around his neck is cloth....like horses with saddles, so the saddles don't irritate their skin. It just looks like tubing because it's untextured. Also those "shapes" on his shoulders are of the same material for the same purpose.

The long arms were a design choice i thought would look "cool" with him sitting on his mount. It would really create an interesting silhouette with him on the mount.

agreed on the feet being too small...they should be abit thicker.

The only problem i have with your paint over of the design as a whole..is that i like the dangly pieces of flesh. It breaks the silhouette making it more interesting IMO, and will add for secondary movement when animated.

The holes in his leges were also a design choice i thought was nice. I didnt want him to have boring legs, so i thought ways i could make him look more alien.

Thanks man, i'll make some of the adjustments when im done texturing everything.
  • SinisterUrge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks excellent so far, the character has a real flow to it. It doesn't look stiff and rigid
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the Rider finally. I still have some problems with him that i'd like to fix, but it's time to move on. This is afterall for a grade and a class. So i must move on.

RiderComplete4.jpg
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    favorite part is the color change from the back to the front abdomen :P very natural looking
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks bud. I'm pretty happy with how he turned out.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty cool of RenderHJS to make that paintover for you, although I think most of the content there is simply personal opinion. Render has a great eye for detail and his artwork is all superb but I prefer your version as it is.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    textures make a difference - I like already alot more now

some presentation critique though if you don't mind
    your rendering has a gray layer which is common if you leave everything to default at rendering like just white lights (main source for grayish renderings) but also environment settings can change the outcome of the rendering.
    ridercomplete4incolor.jpg
    I took your last rendering and applied a quick light shade pass in PS (just some soft light layer blend with a warm light colour) and some minor blooming effects. The background has also some warmth so that the overall image transports better life and a warm climate.
    just a screenshot from the PS layer stuff:
    ridercomplete4psdsettin.gif

if you want to render those with MR you could use for example the glare shader which creates nice blooming effects. Also I would place a background light (behind the character) in a cold or darker colour (green would work too but looks sometimes odd). This little extra light in the background makes your character pop out even more because you have 2 light sources from different angles with different colors giving a better contrast over the body. And the front key light light yellow with a touch of orange if you want to fake warm climate.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oooo i LOVE it renderhjs!

yeah i've had alot of problems with my rendering, yah know it's not really anything i've had time to get around to. I love that Unreal looking blooming effect too. I'm not sure how to do those things in 3ds max. Could you give me a quick run through of how to get the glare shader?

I'll work on the rendering tonight and post it up! Thanks for the paint over too man. Looks so much better than my render ha.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    I love that Unreal looking blooming effect too
    Better yet man, get this into Marmoset!

Check it out:
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=61346
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Nice tips renderhjs, and nice character mister wester.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright gamedev. I'm on it. I've been hearing and seeing alot about this marmoset lately. I'll give it a try and see how it looks.

Thanks
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    wester: I assume you dont use max 2010 yet because in 2010 the glare shader is enabled by default - in previous version (starting with 9) it has to be enabled in a textfile. Once its enabled under render settings you can drag it into a material slot to edit it's changes (because its a shader after all).
    Some complete walkthroughs are available here:
    http://masteringmentalray.surpass.nl/content/view/36/10/
    http://www.dmmultimedia.com/3dtips_04c.htm
    http://www.evermotion.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39551

as for the warm cold contrast - its one of many to add more depth and information to your rendering,
    cw7.gif
    you basicly have 2 opposed color groups that create contrast when using against each other. A typical interpretation would be a dawn or night scene in where the environment is already blue or pink tinted and a key light in fron of the object would be a fire.
    Or if you have a daylight the skydome reflecting blue and the self illumination or sun reflects a warm tone on the object from the front - because often in photography one would like to have the sun in ones back and not in front.
    there is some rough basic written in wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_theory
    (scroll down to Warm vs. cool colors)
    Some popular examples of this technique (used a lot lately)
    1.) very obvious used here:
    http://www.bingegamer.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/duke-nukem-forever.jpg
    2.) in the earlier screen of GOW it was more visible - after that they often went more towards brownish and orange
    http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/blogs-prod-static/mediam/GearsLove.jpg

The 3 point lighting was mastered in the film noir genre back in the 1940's till late 1950's. Because most of the media was in Greyscale and color contrast's for example where simply not possible they used this technique in order to pop out the characters better. Modern film noir's like blade runner use this technique alot - but its a general standard in filming today anyway.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_lighting
    the way I use it in combination with the cold/warm contrast is to use the blue color as backlight and the warm one (usually an orange or yellow) more in the front or at the side.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked with the lighting abit more. Added that, hot to cold thing renderhjs was talking about.

Rendered in Max still. Trying to figure out Marmoset at the moment.

Rider_Render1.jpg
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Looking pretty solid Don.

Not really feeling the blade end of the weapon atm. I dig the way you did it in the concept. Seems slightly flat and boring without some electricity surging through it. You planning on a particle effect or post render touch up? But the staff part of the weapon is looking pretty dope. I like that addition of the hand guards.

Now just finish that mount and you'll be set. Keep up the good work.