Home General Discussion

I'm visiting England!

blankslatejoe
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
Calling all you Brits, I'm gonna be running around england on vacation with my GF this fall, and we're wondering what are some good places to go be a tourist at.

I'm going to be mostly around the London and Peterburough areas and will not have access to a car.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    peterborough?!

there's a million questions but the first has to be ... why?
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Go to London for a few days, you don't need any guides/people to tell you what to do there because there is so much to do! The big ben, westminster, buckingham palace, tower bridge etc. are all within walking distance of eachother, and just walking trough london is pretty sweet, there so much to see on every corner of every street(but taking the tube now and then would be advisable:P ) Just in case you didn't know: almost all museums are 'free' in london, definately visit the tates and national history museum, the buildings alone are worth it :)
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr wrote: »
    peterborough?!

there's a million questions but the first has to be ... why?

I was born there, but left when I was 2. I'd like to see it. Is there something wrong with it, or is it just a not-much-there kinda city.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    there's nothing for miles in every direction. But i suppose if you have a reason for visiting ... just never heard anyone say they want to before, heh
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hm...sounds like it's not the best place to be if you have no car... that might be a quick stop then, I guess.

Can anyone recommend some good castle ruins?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Haha, you americans and castles. ;P
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    well i can drop into london to say hello, maybe spacemonkey will be free this time too!

when scoob was here i got lost on the underground, then he, mop and i saw a few of the pretty buildings in london, had a chat about art, visited a gallery shortly before being kicked out by a grumpy old shrew shrieking "THE GALERY IS CLOSING BITCHES!", and had dinner.

was nice :P
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    if anyone fancies or beer or seven, I am up for it. just wating for my spare liver to take:)
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a meet up would be awesome! It'll be awhile yet, as we wouldn't be in town till Sept. I'll definitely be posting another thread before then. For now we're just wondering what kinds of things we'd like to see.

Can anyone reccomend a good Hotel, central to most of the tourist hubbub, in london?
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I'm staying at the paddington court, expensive, but if you buy early you cane get AMAZING deals, my room was 78% off...

Reminds me...
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Last winter I stayed at hotel 65, it was cheap(about 20€ a night per person) and the room was pretty small. But all in all it had a tv, coffee maker, breakfast included and the location was great(a 5 minute walk from sheperd's bush station, which is a 5 minute tube ride away from central london). I think it would be hard to find anything with the same location/value for that money.

edit: I just looked it up and it seems to have some bad reviews. Most of which seem to be about the mentality of the negative reviewers themselves, so if you have incredibly high standards or a bitchy attitude it would probably be best to find another hotel :P.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Pubs,pubs pubs. I loved the pubs in London,tons of good beer and especially great ale. Food was good too in pubs as well as cheap,id kill to have a few cumberland sausages at the moment.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    a meet up would be awesome! It'll be awhile yet, as we wouldn't be in town till Sept. I'll definitely be posting another thread before then. For now we're just wondering what kinds of things we'd like to see.

Can anyone reccomend a good Hotel, central to most of the tourist hubbub, in london?

my birthday is in sept, so if you're down then, i'll book a hotel room for people to crash in after we all get tanked off our asses.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Never been to to the UK.

But from what I know of my british co-workers, you will ONLY eat fish n' chips, Indian food, or anything that has NO flavour (Boiled potato, with wild rice, and steamed vegetables).

I hear the beer there is awesome, but a lot of people like the french budweiser (Kroenenberg... which tastes like Stella without the bloat).
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    fuck that shit, i'm on to magners pear cider. that stuff is the bomb.

in terms of food, i can do a mean steak, mashed potatoes, a lamb shank, some good seasonal veg.

i love cooking. the fish and chip shop here is like... i'd only offer it to a foreigner just so they can say they've tried it. and indian takeaways suck, going to an actual indian restaurant is much better.

that said, do as you will, i'm all up for a pizza and a keg :P
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah kronenburg is a bit rank, staropramen is passable as is baltika(IMHO)
    I drink red wine mainly though

Brits don't eat fish and chips all the time, its only ever been an occasional treat.

I agree indian retaurants are great as are thai and viet

loads of vietnamese restaurants in shoreditch
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hm...never been a huge fan of indian, but I do like thai. I've heard a lot of the restaurants around the london historical spots are tourist traps. It'd probably be good to get a list of decent places to go...any recommendations?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yates in leicester square is a good pub and does cheap tasty food.
    There are some rip off places, but there are some good value places too, even in the touristy areas.