Home Technical Talk

So I got my new pc and I hate it.

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
Hey so I got my new pc and the case fan is super loud, the hard drive is loud but most annoying when I move the mouse or certain graphical elements appear on the screen there is an electrical hissing whining noise coming from the video card? It's super annoying, does anyone know what this might be? I have the geforce 285 card. Also what is the deal with quiet pc's I thought these things were supposed to be getting quieter not louder. I turned on my old pc and you can't hear it over the sound of the new pc.

Replies

• MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hm, my brother built a shuttle pc for my parents to use, it's super quiet cos it has no real performance hardware in it, which makes the "mouse noise" even worse - I don't know what causes it, I don't think it's the graphics card AFAIK, but I know that noise, it kicks in whenever the mouse moves, usually quite high-pitched and whiny.

I don't get it on my PC here, I'd also be interested to know what causes it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 19
    did you buy a premade or build it yourself? My case came with rubber sound dampeners to prevent hard-drive vibration from being transfered into the case and it has 3x120mm fans that run at a lower voltage because larger fans running at lower voltage will push more air than smaller ones and also produce less noise. I believe the case fan speed is controlled by either my mobo or the PSU, it's been a while since I cracked it open.

Usually if you buy a prebuilt they cut corners to maximize profits, they don't really care about heat or sound.

You might want to check power saving features of your mobo, I've read that hissing is caused by voltage fluctuations.
  • SyncViewS
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hey guys,
    that fuzzy sound is way too annoying. I experienced it too, it's quite frequent in integrated audio sound cards nowadays. A friend of mine said it's due to bad MB design that cram in too many components creating interference around sensitive areas, considering a current motherboard has something like seven or more electrical layers, it's quite assured it will get everything generated by it's own components. I'm afraid it cannot be avoided on integrated sound cards.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah you got it mop it's a high pitched whining noise when I move the mouse. I had the system built for me by a local pc shop just gave them some rough system specs and a price range and they built me a computer the size of a jumbo jet with a turbine fan on top. One of my rough system specs was must be "dead" quiet and this thing is far from quiet in every way possible.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ah yeah, that'll be it. Malcolm, does your comp have onboard sound? The one I have experienced this noise on was definitely a low-end mobo with a built in soundcard.
    I guess your only real solution to that would be to get a separate soundcard and somehow disable the onboard one. That won't solve your graphics card and HDs being loud though :(
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS is it possible to get a mother board without integrated audio? I disabled the on board sound card via the bios and the whining is still present. I have a gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P motherboard no idea if that's good or not I don't know much of anything about computers any more.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 19
    malcolm wrote: »
    Yeah you got it mop it's a high pitched whining noise when I move the mouse. I had the system built for me by a local pc shop just gave them some rough system specs and a price range and they built me a computer the size of a jumbo jet with a turbine fan on top. One of my rough system specs was must be "dead" quiet and this thing is far from quiet in every way possible.

I'm running a Gigabyte motherboard and the integrated audio is fine

return it, sounds like you got ripped off. Mind me asking what you got and what you paid?
  • Farfarer
    http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/watercooling/reserator1-v2 < I run this thing with my PC, can't even tell it's on without looking at the power light.
  • SyncViewS
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    So Malcom, you got the noise directly from the board without speakers or anything else? That's odd. I'm afraid currently MB without integrated soundcards are quite rare and for very low-end PCs or less common formats like MicroATX. If it's so loud that you can still hear it over noisy fans, it could be a MB failure. Really, try to ask for assistence from vendor.
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    The noise from fans is solved buying better fans. Hds noise may be due to a cheap unit?, vibration is usually the main problem with hds. You can have an excellent hd making noise is the case where you got it, is one very bad with vibration. Good hds does not make noise at all, and almost all are under 29db.

I own a zotac gtx285 amp! edition (super overclocked) and the noise comes from the psu (its fan does not make any noise), and it's because this graphics "absorbs" too much energy. In games like crysis, the noise is quite loud, and all depends of the game. With some 3d applications i have some "mouse noise", it's something like "funny", you pan and rotate the camera and you get a shhhrrrrrrrrr shrrrrrr hehehehe

My psu is one very expensive, a corsair 620hx, and its 12v rail is of 18A. Multi-rail psus make electrical noise with all those nvidia cards (8800, 9800gtx+ and newer). It's annoying, and a possible solution is to change the psu for one MONORAIL with a 12v rail of more than 50A. I have too many friends that changed the psu for a corsair monorail of 750W and more watts, and they have a silent pc (with better cases and fans than me)

To identify where the noise comes from, you can do what i did, put your psu apart from the case, turn or the system and test your apps and games. In my case, the GPU = 0 noise. Like i'm a casual gamer, i didn't see the need to change the psu, it has 5 years of warranty, and i cannot waste more money in my system :).

If you bought your system recently, test all the components, make stress tests and if something is wrong, return it.

Is quite easy to identify where a noise comes from. good luck!
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 19
    could be the psu if it has a variable fan
  • Xenobond
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I remember having this happen on an older pc. I think that when I muted the line-in and/or mic in the audio panel that it fixed the buzzing while moving the mouse around.
  • Michael Knubben
    Yeah, mute the line in/mic. Basically, you could just turn off anything non-essential, anyway. From my experience, that should solve it
  • Psyk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    My friend just built himself a new PC for blue ray playback on his giant 10' X 4' movie screen. He's taken noise reduction to the extreme, he ripped out all the stock fans and put a giant heatsink on the CPU and replaced case/PSU fans with better, quieter ones, he also got a caviar green hard drive and fanless vid card. So quiet you cant even tell the PC is running. Of course he's not using this box for gaming or heavy work but if he did, it would still be quieter than mine thats for sure.

Funny thing is the PC was so quiet, he started hearing a humming noise coming from his monitor, turns out that when he turned down brightness that would make the monitor hum...which is quite weird.
  • hyrumark
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    I'm pretty sure it's the 285 card drawing current. I just built my new PC with a BFG 285 factory overclocked card. And when I have a heavy scene in Max it makes that noise when I rotate or pan. And I'm using a PC Power 750W power supply, really well respected power supply maker. But it not an obnoxious sound, in fact I don't notice it unless the room is perfectly quiet.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah. I have this also in Max & other 3d apps. Never with the mouse though, just with the 3d card. I've learned I guage my framerate from the frequency of the buzzing sound. :P
  • 00Zero
    i think i remember teh same exact problem with mouse movement and high pitched sound. im pretty sure it was something to do with the mic/line in as stated above. id check that out.

when i got my new comp (HP), it was kinda loud too, but it wasnt the fan, it was thing continuous zapping/electrical sound.
  • Mark Dygert
    Cheap and powerful power supplies have notoriously loud fans. To find out which fan it is, unplug or stop each fan, preferably not while its spinning.

If you unplug them all and there still is someone testing jet engines in your case, then its probably the power supply, it might have 2 fans, but really just throw the cheap piece of junk out and get something that is quite.

As for the mouse noise, I got that on an old system it never went away and I had disabled the onboard sound. It switched from a high pitched sound, to a low fuzzy sound.
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    This is my problem and the problem most users have. As i said, my psu is very expensive, and is totally silent, super silent but in games squeals as hell.

check out these youtube videos if is what you got.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4d23F2jehQ[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up_axOyd1Z8&amp;NR=1[/ame]
  • Farfarer
    I've got the Corsair HX550 (or 520? something around the 500 Watt mark) and it's totally silent, even when gaming.

My old ATI graphics card fan used to do a similar thing, though.
  • Mark Dygert
    Blaizer wrote: »
    This is my problem and the problem most users have. As i said, my psu is very expensive, and is totally silent, super silent but in games squeals as hell.

check out these youtube videos if is what you got.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4d23F2jehQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up_axOyd1Z8&NR=1
    It's almost like the sound the little StarCraft SCV mining units make when they're harvesting crystals... I wonder if its ATI specific or does it happen with Nvidia also? I gave up on ATI along time ago.

That's a lot louder then I've ever heard. The noise I've heard came out of the speakers, no sound, no noise, but a new sound card didn't get around the problem just changed it.
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    hahaha it's also like when you go to the dentist.

I gave up on Ati too, i have had 3 ati cards, and 2 got burned :S. Also, the perfomance with max was horrible, although they were nice videocards for gaming.

It happens with both brands, this problem appeared with the 8800GT with nvidia. All GT/GTX series has this annoying problem with PSUs (they demand too much energy), and the series X2 from ATI too. No matter if you have a great 1000 watts psu, if the psu is multi-rail, and the 12v rail has less than 50A, is very probable the psu will make noise.

I havent had this problem with a 8400GS, but when i changed it for the new card, bam, noise :D. I replaced again the videocard with the old one, and the noise disappeared.

Some manufactures are starting to recommend psus with a good amperage for the 12v rail if we don't want these noises. The bad thing is that they say is something "normal", it can't be helped. You can have less or more noise.

I have some friends with nvidia GTX295s (it "eats" more energy than 285) and with their mono-rail psus, they don't have noise. I have thought to buy another psu but monorail, but with so much money wasted, i opted to wait a bit.

It's a shame to have those problems with new computers.
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    For those of you who have the graphical buzzing issues, one question: Are you using the front panel headphone ports, or the speaker connection in the back?

I've had this problem before in numerous machines, and it usually ends up being the low-grade wiring that's used to run a connection from the onboard soundcard to the case's front panel. It picks up a ton of interference running across the motherboard.

If you are using the front panel, try connecting your headphones/speakers to the back and see if that helps.
  • PerfectPolygon
    I recently built an I7 machine, and its crazy fast, but makes the exact same sounds.

I read up about it and found that by disabling C1E in bios (advanced Features section), the whining is GREATLY reduced.. but still there a bit.

Everything i read pointed to it being a result of combinations of different gfx cards and power supplies- people have posted hearing this whining with pretty much all the current I7 mobo's out there.
  • warby
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    i get the screatchign sound when moving the mouse at work its a dell machine with nvidia 8800 sli i believe ... but now t hat i think of it i think i can only hear it through my headphones ( plugged to the back)
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll try disable the case fan and see if that one is the loud one. I don't know much about computers anymore last time I got a computer agp still existed. I'll try unseating the video card and see if that removes the electrical buzzing sound when moving the mouse.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I have a beast of a machine here on my desk and it doesn't even make a whisper.

you won't like it though.
  • Mark Dygert
    But the screams from its users can be heard for blocks...
    http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/1/30/

Yea yea mac's aren't all that bad or expensive. The mac mini makes a great media PC btw.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i get the buzzing in certain apps (generally 3d related).. it changed a bit when I got a new graphics card, and also happens when volume is muted/speakers off.. so im thinking its coming from the card?
  • EarthQuake
    You should look into software that will let you "tune" your cpu/case fan settings. I have a couple asus based systems here, and they come with some apps that let you use a couple pre-set settings for fan speed. Asus AI Suite is what it is.

If you cant find anything like that, or that doesnt help, a pretty quick way to check what is causing the most noise is just to start poking around, put your finger on your CPU fan to stop it, case fan, etc and just pay attention to how much less noise is created when you stop various fans. Alternatively you can try turning your system off and unpluging case fans etc, if you dont want to go poking around.

Cheap fans can cause a lot of noise, and are really easy/inexpensive to replace. Generally i've had pretty good luck with stock intel fans, but you may have gotten a bad one as well, cpu fans run in the $10-30 range for something pretty good, case fans will be like $5 or so. You really should be able to find an app(or a setting in bios) to adjust the cpu fan tho.

With the video card that you have, you might be totally maxing out your power supply(or close to it) so a good option to consider might be buying a much more powerful PSU, that way you arent constantly running at full load, this should help reduce the amount the PSU fan/s need to run. Your video card fan may just be a fucking jet engine too, those gt28* GPUs take a lot of juice, and a lot to cool them.

Any more info you can give on components would be helpful too

Case model
    PSU model
    How many case fans, what size(generally 80mm or 120mm) the bigger the better(quieter)
    CPU cooler type

Its very possible that the guys who built your system cheaped out on everything you didnt specifically ask for, so it might be better to consider returning the thing(if you're able) instead of putting money into fixing what you paid them to do.

Also, if you can find/borrow a different PCI-E video card from someone/work/etc, it would be a good idea to test that out in your system and see if you have the same hissing issues. Video cards can be a pain, because there are about 15 different companies that manufacture the same shit, and there is a good chance they just threw the cheapest possible card they could find in your system.