Home General Discussion

Computer scientists add smell to games

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/article6162217.ece

Lengthy article, but very very interesting concept. Below is the opening paragraph, and some examples from the end of the article. Check it out.
Professor Bob Stone loves the smell of napalm in the morning. He’s less keen on raw sewage, burning vegetation and diesel exhaust, but at the click of a mouse any and all can be wafting through his office at Birmingham University. It’s just one of the techniques the computer scientist is using to make video games more realistic. Stone is helping to develop technology likely to end up in home games consoles to create realistic “smell effects”. Players will experience the odours of, say, the racetrack or the battlefield. His research also has a more immediate goal: to train future recruits to the British military.

Mix your own

Biopac’s SDS100 scent delivery system works with more than 100 pre-packaged aromas. Here are a few we mixed earlier:

Battleground
Scents available: weapons fire, gunpowder, burning rubber

Military encampment
Scents available: rubbish, lit cigarettes, whisky

Eau de Grand Prix
Scents available: race-car exhaust, leather glove, burning electrics

Soldier’s homecoming

Scents available: coffee, apple pie, and, er, “seduction”

Replies

• Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    This has been invented 15 times in the last ten years, and every time the 'new' inventors falls on their ass because there is 0 interest.

I think the only reason this keeps getting invented is to get a ton of investor cash, then cut and run. Just like the phantom, and several flying car projects being funded by people with more money than sense.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Mmm...the smell of sewage and rotting corpses.

Dumb.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    side effects of inhaling chemicals all day? yeah im interrested!
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    dunno, kind of like the idea of smell of gunpowder and motor oil.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    ... and the iFart craze dies a very quick death as sales suddenly plummet.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    I can smell the sex.
  • JesterBox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JesterBox polycounter lvl 18
    I'd use it with Cooking Mama!
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    This will happen at some point but a method like this is too messy, expensive, and potentially dangerous because of allergies.

What will eventually make this work is direct nerve or brain stimulation to create virtual smells that will be just as real as the genuine article without any need for refills or mixing of random substances to form smells.

Its something to look forward to was work in wetware and virtual senses moves forward be its a ways off before this will ever be practical.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    No thanks. :( I actually thought it would be some real progress in virtual senses this time, but same old same old.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I want to do the testing for a snoop dog or .50 cent game.

booze, women, and blunts

sounds interesting..
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Some day, someone will write a virus for the smell-software and we'll all hate everyone who ever worked on getting smell in games in the first place.

Next up, games that actually give you realistic pain!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    smell-o-vision... wow when will people get it? It hasn't worked over the past century it won't work over the next.

Skip right over smell and get crackin on a holodeck!
  • Mental_Hernia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, such an overwhelming pessimistic response. I know that there have been similar ideas in the works or tested in the past, but didn't know so many had started and failed.

Daaark wrote: »
    I think the only reason this keeps getting invented is to get a ton of investor cash, then cut and run. Just like the phantom, and several flying car projects being funded by people with more money than sense.

Does no one see this as a realistic game implementation in the near (or far) future? I can understand the problems with requiring an additional piece of hardware (or whatever module that this system's scent-producing wax comes in), but surely this is a possibility. Maybe not in this mentioned form, but at some point. The evolution of 'the game experience' can not forever be based on visuals alone. Look at how audio immersion has affected users' experience. What used to be simple 8 bit audio has turned into fully orchestrated musical soundtracks and unique sound effects, not to mention surround sound speakers and headphones that can accurately mimic surround sound.

[edit] jacose, I had the same thought when it comes to a neurological method. Although it depends on the actual hardware or 'kit' released, you wouldn't have to worry about the wax or allergy issues, and definitely not filling up the office with the elegant scent of raw sewage and rotting zombie flesh.

I'll have to go back and try to find an article published about a science team creating a neurological-based method of 'tricking' the brain to feel certain emotions. One example they listed was the ability to synthesize the feeling of meeting God. From what I remember, the scientists were able to trick the brain so that the patient felt a combination of euphoria and what they described as 'divine presence'. I'll try to find that article.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Hey! We could become smell artisans if all art jobs are outsourced.... Little from A, mix with B.. Walah, the smell of a rotting zombie with a tad of cologne.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    I think there's a pretty clear idea of why most senses work well and are improved over the years, whereas scent has never caught on:

Visuals = pleasing to the eye

Sound = pleasing to the ear

Feel = Using vibration controller feature... no comment

Taste = Not going there yet

annnnnd

Smell = rubbish, lit cigarettes, whisky, weapons fire, gunpowder, burning rubber, race-car exhaust, leather glove, burning electrics, etc etc = not pleasing
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Mezz wrote: »
    ...Smell = rubbish, lit cigarettes, whisky, weapons fire, gunpowder, burning rubber, race-car exhaust, leather glove, burning electrics, etc etc = not pleasing

Those smells can be pure sex to other people :)

One thing to remember, it wont be accurate, as most sounds for games aren't accurate, they're made to sound cool, guns are made to be sound cool, cars are made to be sound cool in most games too,

so when you're playing that shooter the developers would cocktail together the most awesome smells only, not the rotting corpses or the sewage.

I'd say, if the device could become cheap, and work properly, it would be an interesting thing to add to an elderscrolls type game, where you 80% of the time walk around and smell flowers.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Would this become one of those preference things, like with the art in games? :P

"I know -insert game here- is popular, but I just don't like the art style that much"

to...

"I know -insert game here- is popular, but I just don't like the simulated smell types very much. I'm less of a death and carnage person, more a fantasy flower scent-type."
  • fast1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha that would be pretty weird wouldn't it?clear.gif
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    What needs to be implemented is, an abandonment of physical senses, to interface directly with the brain.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    gotta be nasty playin a horror game or a ww2 game with burning corpses n shit. specially if the odour sticks to your curtains and cushions and shit. "hey man, your crib stinks of death.."
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, when I was fighting through the hordes of rotting corpses in the sewer levels of Diablo II I wasn't exactly thinking "Man, I wish I could smell this."

Nor was I thinking, when playing Fallout 3, what an entire world of people who had never bathed in their whole lives smelled like.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    "No Smoking, Pets or Smell-o-Vision"
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    Nothing makes me vomit faster than a bad artificial smell of something unpleasant...
  • Mental_Hernia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing makes me vomit faster than a bad artificial smell of something unpleasant...

How often does this happen, exactly?
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    one cool feature with this, is that you'd be able to smell the gunfights.
    so when you smell gunpowder, you know someone just duked it out in that place.
    or maybe you can trace the bad guys by their sweaty armpits.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have this image in my head of an enclosure with an air vent pointed at you and a tie rack inside. Hanging from the tie rack are little trees, and when prompted, the tie rack rotates to slot 8 or sweaty armpit, and the vent gives you a blast of the sweaty armpit goodness!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    People buy these . I'm sure the same sorts wouldn't mind a whiff of Silent Hill.
  • Mental_Hernia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quokimbo wrote: »
    I have this image in my head of an enclosure with an air vent pointed at you and a tie rack inside. Hanging from the tie rack are little trees, and when prompted, the tie rack rotates to slot 8 or sweaty armpit, and the vent gives you a blast of the sweaty armpit goodness!

Dude...I'm not diggin that. Not at all
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    computer games always can produce smell you just have to push too muich operation through the bus, over parts that are not cooled
    this wil give the burnt corpse smell everyone is fancy for