Home General Discussion

Land Before Time: Sad Story

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
jocose polycounter lvl 11
Okay so I was looking through some animation reference today and stumbled upon some Land Before Time production cels. Which reminded me how awesome that movie was:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Jif_xomgF6I/SbVvfTdscMI/AAAAAAAABcM/imrBSqdYOtI/s1600-h/lbt+model+sheet.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Jif_xomgF6I/SbVwqcYFX2I/AAAAAAAABcU/8rXFCuCWC_M/s1600-h/lbt+cel.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Jif_xomgF6I/SbVveoiZd-I/AAAAAAAABcE/MAx76hb5b6U/s1600-h/lbt+model+sheet+2.jpg

Anways, I sent them to a friend who's an animator at a studio close by and she decided to up and ruin my day by telling me that: the child voice actress that played Ducky was murdered, along with her mother, by her psychotic father shortly after making the film:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judith_Barsi

JudithBarsi.jpg

Maybe I was in the dark, but did anyone else know about that? I can't ever watch this movie with out thinking about it now.

Replies

• Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    .. wow.

and to think I always thought the saddest part of that movie was littlefoot's mother dying.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    :|

was an awesome movie, that's a very sad story.

still however don't like the fact that there's like 40 of them now. What do they think they are, Guitar Hero?

:)
  • Mental_Hernia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is one of those few movies that I remember watching a lot while growing up. First one was great, second was alright. I think I stopped there.

bounchfx wrote: »
    :|

was an awesome movie, that's a very sad story.

still however don't like the fact that there's like 40 of them now. What do they think they are, Guitar Hero?

:)

I on the other hand can't wait for the straight-to-DVD Land Before Time 8 - Dinosaurs In Space
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I on the other hand can't wait for the straight-to-DVD Land Before Time 8 - Dinosaurs In Space

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1139111/

I remember the burger king [mcdonalds?] hand puppets you could get for the first one. ducky was the favorite on the playground.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    wow thats terrible. never realized that land before time came out when I was 1 haha, I remember seeing it when I was like 6, jeez thats movie is old. that wikipedia link is a sad story.
  • Mental_Hernia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Land Before Time XIII: The Wisdom of Friends - No way! 13? I think that franchise might have been what really killed off the dinosaurs.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Ya, you know what's sadder than a little girl and her mother being killed by the psychotic father? How they milked that whole cash cow to death.
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    awww i wish i didnt read this :(
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    That sucks.

But then, people die every day. What makes her so special?

Not trying to undercut the tragedy of her death, by no means. She's a cute girl, and is just demonic that something like that happened to her and her mother. Just that, I live in California, and a rookie baseball player just died and the news was all over it. That thought popped into my head, and drew that same line of thinking. What makes him so special? Newspaper is fill with obituaries, but no one goes all hoopla about that.
    Do people feel a connection to others if they know them in some small way, like we know her from the movie or like we know the rookie from baseball?
    idk, unexpected death is a tragedy no madder who it happens to
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    whats_true wrote: »
    That sucks.

But then, people die every day. What makes her so special?

Not trying to undercut the tragedy of her death, by no means. She's a cute girl, and is just demonic that something like that happened to her and her mother. Just that, I live in California, and a rookie baseball player just died and the news was all over it. That thought popped into my head, and drew that same line of thinking. What makes him so special? Newspaper is fill with obituaries, but no one goes all hoopla about that.
    Do people feel a connection to others if they know them in some small way, like we know her from the movie or like we know the rookie from baseball?
    idk, unexpected death is a tragedy no madder who it happens to

It's not that her death is inherently special but simply linked to a topical film that many of us saw as children. She has a story that is relevant to our lives though the film(s) she did. I don't think anyone was singling her out as more worthy of attention than anyone else, just simply that she happen to touch peoples lives through her work, and this is part of that story.

I'm sure most would agree that any other death is just as tragic.
  • fast1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice, thanks for the share!clear.gif
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I think that anyone who has contributed alot to society does deserve more attention when they pass away. Imo the idea that everyone is an equal is bullshit, but instead it is your actions that create change and status in society. What is the point of life if you arent out to create change and create things, weather it be through scientific, social or creative endevours. So what makes this so depressing is that this was a young girl that already touched the lives of thousands and the fact that she could have contributed so much more as she grew older.

And yeah this is a very sad thing, made me depressed reading about it :(.
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    Ya, you know what's sadder than a little girl and her mother being killed by the psychotic father? How they milked that whole cash cow to death.

Or that Cuba Gooding Jr is in number 13...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1139111/
    I remember the burger king [mcdonalds?] hand puppets you could get for the first one. ducky was the favorite on the playground.

Pizza Hut! I was all about the Petrie one.