Home General Discussion

DVD Menu Storyboard Help

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
Hello all! I'm finishing up my Associates in Computer Animation degree this semester and I have to put together a DVD Portfolio for the class. I'm more of a web development guy myself, so DVD's are foreign territory. I think a web portfolio is more current anyway, but there is debate for both.

Anyway, I'm having difficulty deciding what the Menu Storyboard should look like. I have 3D images, 3D movies and graphic design work. I guess my first question would be, should I be including my graphic design work at all if this portfolio is tailored towards getting me a job as an environmental artist?

I don't want the menu's to be hard to navigate, obviously, but having organization and having things simple is a fine line. I can organize things down to the bone, but in the end it would difficult to navigate. Have any of you had success in coming up with a practical storyboard? Here are some of the ideas I've had:

2009-04-23_1359.png

Do you think I am on the right track?

Replies

• Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Go for the second one. It's more straightforward, and will be easier to manage for you. It's a win/win situation. :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Still overly complicated. Just put video on the dvd; you are going to bore recruiters if you bang on loads of stills at a few seconds each. Put a web address at the end of the reel where they can see further stills if they are interested; best way to do it really.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would you agree that Graphic Design design work should be kept out? Initially I would think that yes, keep it out because it's not going towards promoting my 3d modeling and texturing skills. But then again, it does show I am able to work with photoshop and illustrator. And what about concept art? Put that in with still images?

@Blenderhead: I would be showing the images via a slideshow though, not individually. I hardly have any video work.
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simpler is always better with that kind of project... Id loose the "play all" features and just make a simple menu that you can access all areas of the disc from one screen. Most DVD authoring apps will let you add chapters, which could be used to skip from image to image, or one animation to another.

-N
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Stradigos wrote: »
    @Blenderhead: I would be showing the images via a slideshow though, not individually. I hardly have any video work.

Then I suggest sending a URL with some of your work instead of burning DVD's if its mostly images you have; unless the studio has specifically asked for slideshows instead of online galleries...which I would find odd.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then I suggest sending a URL with some of your work instead of burning DVD's if its mostly images you have; unless the studio has specifically asked for slideshows instead of online galleries...which I would find odd.

I like the online route myself, but like I said, I have to do this for the class I'm taking. I guess it doesn't hurt to have a DVD too though.
    Mechadus wrote:
    Simpler is always better with that kind of project... Id loose the "play all" features and just make a simple menu that you can access all areas of the disc from one screen. Most DVD authoring apps will let you add chapters, which could be used to skip from image to image, or one animation to another.

I have roughly 24 still images, making a chapter for each would be crazy.

Come to think of it, I could make a turn table for most of the models that I had still images of. And for the game level shots I'll use fraps to get a recording.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not why this was obvious to me before, but I think I have my plan of action now.