Home General Discussion

best book i've ever read.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
i've stumbled across a really great book called The War of Art.

It's a really good book that is very insperational. Unfortunately for the book it would probably fall into the self help section, but my local bookstore had it next to the art section for some reason and it was recommended by the staff. Good thing too or i would never have stumbled on it.

I recommend you read the excerpt from the book at the bottom of the page i linked. It's unnerving how close to home this book hits.

i can't recommend this book enough. I'm already reading through it a second time.

edit: lol, can't believe I wrote it wrong.

Replies

• TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    You mean you've stumbled onto a book called 'The War of Art' - I don't think Sun Tzu is likely to appear in the fine art section :)

It's a great book, I bought it when I was freelancing and having a tough time making ends meet. Pressfield's blue collar, lunchpail approach really made so much sense and helped me keep cranking through some lean times. Good stuff.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    wicked, thanks for the reccomendation man, Im gonna see if I can find this at my local chapters tomorrow, sounds interesting.
  • Mental_Hernia
    Wow, that hits home on so many levels. First thing I do tomorrow is track down a bookstore that has this in stock, and crack it open immediately.
    You know, Hitler wanted to be an artist. At eighteen he took his inheritance, seven hundred kronen, and moved to Vienna to live and study. He applied to the Academy of Fine Arts and later to the School of Architecture. Ever see one of his paintings? Neither have I. Resistance beat him. Call it overstatement but I'll say it anyway: it was easier for Hitler to start World War II than it was for him to face a blank square of canvas.
  • Mezz
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, that quote is amazing... I really want to get my hands on this book! Sounds like a great way to help focus my often-waning resolve.

Thanks for the recomendation!!
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Umm...I've seen watercolours of Hitlers...they are OK...but he certainly approached WWII with more conviction (IMO) haha. This guy makes some pretty broad statements (woman with cancer goes into remission because she is happy? yeah...) but what he is primarily talking about does hit home hard. Thanks for this; I might pick it up. If I can fight off the resistance to do so. :)
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    getting to see some images done by hitler isn't that hard to achieve o_O

in fact i think some of his paintings are pretty well done
  • fast1
    nice, i will check it out.clear.gif
  • lefix
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    just wondering.does this book actually offer a solution to those problems of is it just for amusement? although both would justify a purchase ;)
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    lol apparently the more afraid you are of a calling, the more TRUE it is to your nature, right so ... in that case i need to pick the most terrifying vocation that appeals to me... yeeeehaw
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    brain surgery it is.
  • Mark Dygert
    Read the excerpt, I'm not sure where exactly he's going with it (probably the point of an excerpt). He sounds a bit bi-polar. It's probably an interesting read but probably not really something practical for a balanced life?

You're never going to eliminate resistance so why not learn to flow around it? What if fighting your resistance actually makes more resistance? What if flowing around it and leading a balanced life actually removes more resistance?

Does he speak about balance at all or does he just try and sell people on declaring war on their friends, family, job and bank account as they chase down a near unattainable goal?
  • man_o_mule
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    Well he is a writer. He did take some liberties and makes some over the top bold statements to emphisize a point, and in some cases, to make the book a bit more humorous.

I believe the point he was making with hitler is that he was never famous for his art, and he gave it up. Of course it's only speculation as to why he gave it up, but it makes you think, which is a good thing.

Rawkstar/ Blenderhead: I think your taking that a little wrong. It's not the act of the vocation that you fear, but the dedication, the commitment, and being unsure of what the outcome would be. Brain surgery would sure be up there. not sure how many years of school that requires, but the book isn't for people who don't know what they want to do. Most people who pick up the book probably already know what they want, and just lack the will and motivation to follow through. And no, the humor isn't lost on me.

Vig: The book is broken into 3 parts. The first is part is about resistance and the many ways that it can show it's self. It's really strange reading this first part as it personifies fear as an evil being but says it's part of you. and it's 50 odd pages long. so the entire excerpt is from this part.

the second part of the book is all about how to combat resistance. I dont want to go into detail about all the methods he gives but they are all very reasonable and not too hard to work into your life. He doesn't say anything that would make me declare war on friends, family, jobs or bank accounts.

The main thing he emphasizes about doing art is that the work is more important than the outcome. It's the thought of sitting down and doing the work that brings on resistance, and overcoming that and actually doing the work day after day is what it's about.

The third part of the book is a bit strange. talks about muses and inperation. Has lots of stories of his life and other people that emphasize points he is trying to make.

This book is more for people who are struggling to start or struggling to keep at it.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    good to hear you found something that has contributed to your life, i love these moments when you find something that makes you go 'aha!'

sometimes its something that not everyone can take something from- i sort of agree with vig about flowing with resistance- or I think rather I bargain with it :) (somtimes I get ripped off..) so i guess its natural when told something is a life changer, some people don't find that it is, or they have different attitudes. its just a matter of perspective.. chances are though that if someone finds it useful a ton more people will too

a couple of books I've been reading recently have given me some epipheny-like moments- a theory of fun, and the art of game design. The latter, specifically, when it begins to talk about listening to your subconscious- treating it as another person or entity entirely. I used to do this when I was a kid, but i never thought about it much until now- and sure enough I found it really works for me.

maybe other people already do this consciously or intuitively (and I think I have intuitively) but I found thinking about it in the way the book described to be very helpful. it even advises you to thank your subconscious for good ideas, since the more you recognise it's value the more it pipes up when you need it (so goes the theory :) ) </ramble>
  • Daaark
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    man_o_mule wrote: »
    I believe the point he was making with hitler is that he was never famous for his art, and he gave it up. Of course it's only speculation as to why he gave it up, but it makes you think, which is a good thing.
    The jew beside him in painting class made a much better painting. He snapped his brush in half and said under his breath, "Now I know what must be done!"

Don't sniff paint kids.
    nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Ahh good to hear he is a little realistic and doesn't drift off into some ideal dream world where everyone should be devoted 100% to some selfish kind of happiness. Glad it helped ya, and the fact that you're reading it again means a lot too.

Roo, ha, yea bargaining, especially with your subconscious. I do this a lot too. Sometimes it goes as far as giving personalities to some of the objects or a scene I'm working on. It helps to build some of the scene history when I ask them "what are you doing here? How old are you? Why don't you get along with the other crates?" It sounds insane but it helps. Especially with the point and click adventure games I work on when a big chunk of the game is having players answer some of those same questions.
  • lefix
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    just ordered it from amazon. now i'm curious :)
  • Xenobond
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Aww, no Kindle edition? :(
  • Noren
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Neox wrote: »
    getting to see some images done by hitler isn't that hard to achieve o_O

in fact i think some of his paintings are pretty well done

Yeah, what's with all the Hitler bashing lately?

Just kidding!
  • super_villain
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
    Might as well throw this in. It's an auction for Hitler's artwork that took place yesterday.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090423/ap_on_re_eu/eu_britain_hitler_watercolors;_ylt=Apkpj6EZ1tsoq0y2.8CeqASs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTFpMjRkMDE4BHBvcwMyOARzZWMDYWNjb3JkaW9uX21vc3RfcG9wdWxhcgRzbGsDcmVwdXRlZGhpdGx

You would think that a guy that had achieved world wide fame, was eccentric, and committed suicide would be able to get a higher price for his artwork. Seems that mass murder/world war thing came back to bite him.

Ok, enough thread derailing...
  • Bort
    Offline / Send Message
    Bort polycounter lvl 18
    Bought the book dues to mule posting about it.

Arrived three hours ago and I just finished it.

Excellent read. I've always been a bullshitter and this was a good kick in the pants.

He does go a bit loopy towards the end but brings it back together in the end. If the thread has peaked even a nugget of interest pick a copy up.