Home Technical Talk

Looking to buy a new prebuilt pc suggestions?

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
Hi, I'm looking to get a new pc I'd like it to be winxp 32bit, I'd rather pay the extra to have it preassembled should I just go with dell? I want it to be dead guiet if possible. I'm looking to spend 2500 on it.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can i ask why you want xp32? Xp/Vista 64 will let you take advantage of the extra ram that is cheap as hell these days.

I would look into a nice i7 system, with atleast 6(12 would be better) gigs of ram, and then pretty much any video card 8800 or better will be suitable for anything you can think of doing
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't go with Dell personally - they are good machines, but usually over priced. We use all Boxx workstations at work, and they are AMAZING, but pricey too. At home I have a custom built computer from AVA Driect - I was very happy with their service and warranty, and their prices are not too bad either. Plus its almost completely silent, which was a big selling point for me. If your looking for an off-the-shelf solution tho, Id go HP.

-N
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The win32 request while looking to spend $2500 is a bit of an oxymoron, as you won't be able to use most of the ram that you're looking to buy.

You're in vancouver, go with NCIX.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    lenovo thinkstation perhaps? i've had good experiences with that stuff so i just wanted to throw the name out. new models S20/D20 due very soon.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    earthquake, what's the deal with 64bit xp, does it work, is there incompatability issues? I'm not a fan of vista I'd rather use xp and we're still on xp at work.

Oh yeah, and what is the consensus on video cards these days, we have these quadro fx 1700's at work they seem kind of lame. Is everyone one here running gaming cards they are half the price with way better specs.
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive got 2 geforce 9600GTs (because 2 of them was still less than 1 quaddro card) and Ive been very happy with them so far. They do everything I need, and run about any game at max settings happily.

-N
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I forgot to mention this is for maya/photoshop game performance is not a concern.
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mainly use max/photoshop, and they do pretty good *shrug*
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm worried only about the video card compatability with maya, would suck to buy 2 geforce cards and then have to rip them out and replace.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone used maya with the GTX 275 cards?
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    malcolm wrote: »
    earthquake, what's the deal with 64bit xp, does it work, is there incompatability issues? I'm not a fan of vista I'd rather use xp and we're still on xp at work.

Oh yeah, and what is the consensus on video cards these days, we have these quadro fx 1700's at work they seem kind of lame. Is everyone one here running gaming cards they are half the price with way better specs.

I'm using winxo64 at home, and with the exception of some pretty obscure stuff that I can't find drivers for etc it works a charm. Also, it runs 3d apps monumentally (not monumantally really, but you get the point) faster than winxp32. All in all, I don't see me changing my windaz any time soon.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN wrote: »
    I'm using winxo64 at home, and with the exception of some pretty obscure stuff that I can't find drivers for etc it works a charm. Also, it runs 3d apps monumentally (not monumantally really, but you get the point) faster than winxp32. All in all, I don't see me changing my windaz any time soon.

Yeah same deal here, running xp64 with very little problems, i think the only thing i ever had a problem with was like an obscure old ass webcam. I guess just google your hardware + xp64 before you buy it.
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    My thoughts:

1. win XP 32 is almost dead(near complete EoL). On the other hand it cannot support more than 3,5Gb of RAM(with dirty tricks). x64 is superior in all the aspects. Vista also offers DX10 and video memory virtualization(which is VERY important when dealing with big meshes... and xp64 cannot do this).
    Some shops add an option that allows you to buy Vista now and to upgrade it to W7 for free. Windows 7 is an improved Vista(less space, more optimized )... but it has not been released yet.

2. Why you want a pre-built PC? With 2500$ you could made one by parts very good... Look at Newegg(usa) or Alternate( if you're in europe). There's nothing better than to make your own machine!

3. Some hardware recomendations:

- Intel Core i7 920 D0 stepping = 289$. Won't go for the 940 nor the 965... they're too expensive.

- A decent motherboard ( I like the DFI LP UT X58 or the EVGA X58 Classified, but I'm an OCer ... probably a Gigabyte X58 or an Asus P6T will work too ). Like 250$.

- 6Gb of DDR3 tri channel ( 1600-2000Mhz ). The OCZ Platinum has a reasonable price and features. You can get it at www.memoryc.com very cheap = 108$. Unfortunately there aren't good 12Gb out there... I would personally go for the OCZ Blade or the top A-data but they are OC-centric and very very expensive.

- Shappire Toxic Radeon 4870 1Gb GDDR5 = 220$ ( although I always liked the XFXs/Gainward/HIS )... and don't expend more on this because the new Radeon Dx11 is coming on July...

- Vista x64 Home Premium with the W7 option = 220$ ( or 0$ if you work with linux or you're a proud jailed pirate bay's acolyte :p )

- 1000W power Corsair = 260$

- Cheap ATX Box = 75$

- 2x Western Digital 10000RPM SATA2 300Gb(that's 600Gb) Velociraptors for RAID 0 = 2x 230$ = 460$ ( forget SSDs, they SUX... the write speed is bad, they're too expensive, their size is too small and they degrade FAST! ).

- Acer G24 24'' 2ms 50000:1/400cd 1920 x 1200 vga/dvi/hdmi = 379$ ... or the Asus 24'' 1920x1200 2ms 450cd if you need something cheaper... Although I might buy a smaller one like 21'' or Crysis won't move at that resolution :p ...

- X-rite i1Display 2 monitor calibration toy = $ 259.00 ( fundamental if you're a pro or a color-maniac like me ).

Total: 2500$.... and you get a very nice computer with some OC margin too...
    If you prefer AMD, wait 1 week and get a Phenom II X4 955 AM3, but I think the i7 is a bit faster(but more expensive too).
  • Dr Stench
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would go for an AMD processor. I'm an AMD fanboy though.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay well I've decided on a pc setup now I just need to pick the video card. I'm currently looking at

geforce gtx285 1g anyone using the gtx cards with maya yet?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Can't absolutely guarantee, but the few times i tested some shaders and viewport stuff in Maya, it worked fine with a GTX280. I wouldn't worry about it at all actually, it'll almost certainly work.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    You know that you can have a custom-built machine assembled for you, and get just the parts you want, right? maybe http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/CyberPower_Gamer_Infinity_8800_Pro_SE/
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm wrote: »
    Okay well I've decided on a pc setup now I just need to pick the video card. I'm currently looking at

geforce gtx285 1g anyone using the gtx cards with maya yet?

Maya + gamer card, you're virtually garunteed to have some(usually minor) issues. They refuse to support anything other than high end workstation cards. That said i would still save a few thousand and go with the game card, you'll get better overall performance(dealing with shaders, game-art type stuff, etc) for much cheaper. Hell really if you're getting an i7, with enough ram, a 6800 GT or anything better will be fine, so gtx285 you will be very happy with, and probabbly have trouble finding things that will slow you down.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Yah. No previewing DX shaders with many "professional" cards.