Home General Discussion

Deadliest warrior - Warrior culture vs warrior culture

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
http://www.spike.com/video/deadlier/3135016

Anyone catch it?

I think it´s pretty fun in a silly, manly caveman way. Who hasn´t taken part of a "samurai vs vikings" kind of discussion before? There is absolutely nothing of value in it really. You just get to see men bust shit up (dummies, fake human bodies, shields, armor) with medieval weapons. What´s not to like? :)

I think it would be interesting to see vikings vs samurai as mentioned earlier. Trailer shows what I can imagine is a spartan vs a viking though, humm. :)

(Oh and you can catch the first episode on youtube. Just search for it.)

Replies

• AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Shit, how did I miss this?!?!?

Vikings would pwn Samurai, btw ;)
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Awesooooooooooome :D
  • Elhrrah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elhrrah polycounter lvl 8
    I can't wait to disparage it for its senseless edge-bashing.

In all truth, this show sounds like the sort thing that would be on Spike; it still should be entertaining.
  • JesterBox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JesterBox polycounter lvl 18
    *Spoiler alert*

I saw the Galdiator vs. Appache, Appache won... BULLSHIT!

They made the Gladiator act like a big retarded ogre "ME......SMASH...TINY...APACHE!"

They should do a Mike Tyson vs. Bruce Lee special.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    hahaha... totally irrelevant in terms of combat... skill and experience and training would favor the samurai or any other 'professional' or trained warrior, but that's not to say a viking doesn't know combat either... but honestly in a one on one, it comes down to who gets lucky enough first, the better fighter can pull up lame or trip on a rock giving the initiative to the other. I think shows like that are just an excuse to build and test cool shit.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey hey! The samurai vs viking episode is actually out. Haven´t seen it yet. Next one is spartan vs ninja. Knight. Yeah i´m with you on that but to be honest. Seeing and testing cool shit is basically why I watch it. :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gwFid8-Nss[/ame]

:D
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a 2 or 3 body sword is probably worth more than an estate... you're going to meet edge on edge with another sword and potentially destroy it? o_o I call shenanigans on their experts.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    sir-knight wrote: »
    but honestly in a one on one, it comes down to who gets lucky enough first, the better fighter can pull up lame or trip on a rock giving the initiative to the other.

Honestly? Have you been in a lot of fights to the death? :)
  • [Deleted User]
    but honestly in a one on one, it comes down to who gets lucky enough first, the better fighter can pull up lame or trip on a rock giving the initiative to the other.
    Also, lightning could strike one of them.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaskad wrote: »
    Also, lightning could strike one of them.

Or both.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vermilion wrote: »
    Honestly? Have you been in a lot of fights to the death? :)

is that an invitation? :D I like my history and I'm a sponge for useless info.

if you think about the amount of work that goes into forging a high quality sword or weapon and it literally takes months if not years to properly forge a sword of this caliber, do you expect that a lifetime warrior would risk chipping the blade?

I bought a hand forged sword (the chinese version of the katana, it's bigger) and the guy who sells them also has a hand in forging them, he said for folded swords there is a high failure rate in the tempering process. You temper or harden the steel by heating it up and dipping it into water... well this also has the risk of shattering the blade, even with modern technology in assiting the forging process. To get one sword, it would often be the lone survivor of an entire batch that were destroyed in the process. This isn't just applicable to japanese or asian swords, this applied to european as well.

Think back to the day when none of these technologies existed and you had to do everything by hand, that increases the value of the weapon.

I study martial arts as well (and for a good number of years), and in practical sword technique (and hand to hand), you don't meet edge on edge, force vs force is never going to work. There's methods to blocking that accept and redirect force to minimize impact, you ever heard of rolling with the punch? Well that principle applies to weapons as well to absorb and redirect energy.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Samurai wins for sharpness and slicing, Viking wins for size and smashing. The european sword wasn't used for cutting, it was to break bones, thats why they were so heavy. Its an interesting topic like ultimate fighting. Force and power tend to win though.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is that an invitation? :D I like my history and I'm a sponge for useless info.

if you think about the amount of work that goes into forging a high quality sword or weapon and it literally takes months if not years to properly forge a sword of this caliber, do you expect that a lifetime warrior would risk chipping the blade?

I bought a hand forged sword (the chinese version of the katana, it's bigger) and the guy who sells them also has a hand in forging them, he said for folded swords there is a high failure rate in the tempering process. You temper or harden the steel by heating it up and dipping it into water... well this also has the risk of shattering the blade, even with modern technology in assiting the forging process. To get one sword, it would often be the lone survivor of an entire batch that were destroyed in the process. This isn't just applicable to japanese or asian swords, this applied to european as well.

Think back to the day when none of these technologies existed and you had to do everything by hand, that increases the value of the weapon.

I study martial arts as well (and for a good number of years), and in practical sword technique (and hand to hand), you don't meet edge on edge, force vs force is never going to work. There's methods to blocking that accept and redirect force to minimize impact, you ever heard of rolling with the punch? Well that principle applies to weapons as well to absorb and redirect energy.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said, I just thought it was pretty funny that it sounded like you were speaking from experience :)

My fiance and I just watched the samurai vs. viking episode tonight and the comparisons are so rigged that it has me yelling at the television. For those who saw it... honestly, a viking trying to chuck two spears at a time is supposed to be competitive with the Japanese archer? If you start the combatants 100 meters apart, it wouldn't even matter what else the samurai is carrying because the viking would have been a pincushion before he ever got into spear-chucking range.

Gladiator vs. Apache was equally ridiculous - the whole notion of a show fighter having a chance of defeating what's essentially a guerilla commando is nutty. Again, any Apache with a functioning brain picks the dude apart at range and only closes in when victory is assured.

Naturally, I'll be tuning in next week for the utterly absurd spartan vs. ninja. Spartan 4TW!! Oh, and has anyone else noticed that the narrator sounds like the survivor from 300? Lovely touch!
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rory_M polycounter lvl 10
    vermilion wrote: »
    Oh, and has anyone else noticed that the narrator sounds like the survivor from 300? Lovely touch!

Yea I was like, "I know that voice!" hah, David Wenham.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Ninja?!! Ninja didn't fight battles. They walked up behind people and shanked them in the backs. They were about the equivalent of mafia hit men, and didn't fight in organized battles. That would be the job of the Samurai.
  • BARBEERIAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The show is a cool concept, but it's annoying how it all seems to boil down to whoever they give the bow to. Sure Vikings threw spears, but I'm pretty sure they used bows to hunt as well and it should be in their arsenal. Yet poor old Mr. Viking gets no bow, and thus gets his ass kicked based simply on the fact that he's got to run his ass off just to get into spear chucking range while the Samurai sits there merrily dinging him with arrows.

The Gladiator one was kinda lopsided too. IIRC Gladiators were limited as to what type of weapons they were allowed to bring into the arena (ie: no bows), but none of those restrictions are placed on the Apache who gets to bring his bow for the easy win.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    And most ninja weren't even assassins. It's a modern myth that got exaggerated in the 70's and 80's.

Ninja started out as mountain folk who were basically told to drop their beleifs or convert by the sword. They started hiding from the 'regular' Japanese, and began developing stealth and disguise techniques to keep from losing their beliefs. Eventually, one clan realized the potential payout therein, and hired themselves out as assassins.

And a ninja wouldn't sneak up to you in the shadows and stab you in the back - he'd ingratiate himself into your household as a servant or the servant of a retainer - or possibly as the retainer himself. And you would mysteriously be found dead one morning, while the "ninja" moaned and wailed in grief with all the rest of your loyal peeps.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It's not as good as the animal version that a drunkenly stumbled across late one night on Discovery channel.

Lion versus Tiger!
    Lion wins!
    Next week we'll pit him against a rhinocerous!
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARBEERIAN wrote: »
    The show is a cool concept, but it's annoying how it all seems to boil down to whoever they give the bow to. Sure Vikings threw spears, but I'm pretty sure they used bows to hunt as well and it should be in their arsenal. Yet poor old Mr. Viking gets no bow, and thus gets his ass kicked based simply on the fact that he's got to run his ass off just to get into spear chucking range while the Samurai sits there merrily dinging him with arrows.

The Gladiator one was kinda lopsided too. IIRC Gladiators were limited as to what type of weapons they were allowed to bring into the arena (ie: no bows), but none of those restrictions are placed on the Apache who gets to bring his bow for the easy win.

Hehe, They even show him shooting a deer that is way off with a bow so it´s pretty retarded that they didn´t let him use that but hey, Maybe they didn´t use it for warfare. "Cowardly" and what not. :)
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw the first one and thought it was cool, and set this one to record...

I know who wins know, thanks for spoiling it for me! :P
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zen archery is also a crock, it's about being at peace and tranquility as you draw and release the bow, and not caring where the arrow ends up. It's a far cry from actual combat archery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_in_the_Art_of_Archery

that katana probably also would've went through all the carcasses if he had hit with the fastest part of the blade (the tip) A lot of that stuff seemed to me like pure brute strength with little regard to actual technique.

The test against the chainmail was cool... and seeing the naginata chop off part of the skull and maim the jaw was pretty painful to see. As for the axe? The guy had to hack at it several times to dig it in to get the result... that was funny, one hit and there was barely a mark.. then it cuts and the torso is completely ripped open.

Also.. fail on the springsteel longsword as it bent stabbing into the dummy :P
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    it's the Dungeons and Dragons katana wars all over again!
  • JesterBox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JesterBox polycounter lvl 18
    Pffftt.... Samurais and Ninjas are soooo over-hyped.

Pirate has a gun, end of story.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Samurais had rifles ;O

Which makes me wonder why they didnt include that thing :/

EDIT: Have you noticed there is a soldier with an automatic rifle in the opening? Wonder what he will fight against? All of them at once?
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are some really peculiar matchups later in the series - I think the solider is for the green beret vs. spetsnaz episode. The real 'jump the shark' episode coming up is IRA vs. Taliban. Can't imagine who they'll get to be the pro-Taliban team...