Home General Discussion

EA sends out brass knuckles with godfather 2..oops!

ericdigital
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
I thought this was to entertaining not to share

http://kotaku.com/5207521/ea-ships-illegal-weapons-to-press-wants-them-back

EA shipped out brass knuckles with copies of godfather 2, which coincidentally are illegal in most states. How in the world did legal miss that!?

brassknuck-004.jpg

Replies

• Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    they were to busy adding zeroes on their paychecks to really look into it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    That is hilarious, but I would've preferred a tommy gun.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    is this a jest? oh my....
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Brass knuckles are illegal? Why would you make those illegal while guns still aren't? :/
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    *whistles Team America theme tune*
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuckin idiots, hope they get taken to court.
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    Actually, now they want them back. They realised they fucked up as the weapons are illegal in most states and ask for the consumer to return them.. The morons.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for reading the original article InProgress haha :D

dFacto has a point. What a screwed up country.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well. Guns are illegal to.... as long as you dont have a license. Maybe it´s the same with these?
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think so, it def seems odd that they would be illegal, I know they are a weapon but I imagine you need some kind of permit. It's just funny that EA completed overlooked that possibility.

If I recall, though I may be wrong. Rockstar shipped out metal bats with gta4 as a promotional thing too? Anyone know if that's true?

**EA..my bad =P
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, Shiiiiiit.

But i dont think rockstar made this game... right? :/

UPDATE: After a little research we found that according to California Penal Code even shipping brass knuckles may be illegal.

According to California Penal Code Section 12020(a), it is illegal to for someone to:

Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives , lends, or possesses any cane gun or wallet gun, any undetectable firearm, any firearm which is not immediately recognizable as a firearm, any camouflaging firearm container, any ammunition which contains or consists of any flechette dart, any bullet containing or carrying an explosive agent, any ballistic knife, any multiburst trigger activator, any nunchaku, any short-barreled shotgun, any short-barreled rifle, any metal knuckles, any belt buckle knife, any leaded cane, any zip gun, any shuriken, any unconventional pistol, any lipstick case knife, any cane sword, any shobi-zue, any air gauge knife, any writing pen knife, any metal military practice handgrenade or metal replica handgrenade, or any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, billy, sandclub, sap, or sandbag.

The law is punishable by a imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in state prison.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Unless your beating up a rabbit or a dear while hunting, I don't think you need a permit to own these. They are just illegal in states because they are meant for one purpose, punching teach out.

EDIT:

*...any zip gun...*

Were can I get one of these!!
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brings a new level of awesome to bear-hunting.

(Sorry for the spam)

But still. How did they aquire these in the first place? I mean, If they are illegal it wouldn´t be possible to get them. Right right? Or is EA dealing with the underworld now?
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    "any shuriken"

I'm sorry, but are shuriken attacks really something that needs to be addressed?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    If you've ever been to a redneck flea market in the south, you'd know the answer to that question.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your right notorious, not rockstar*

I'm not sure how EA them selves obtained the brass knuckles but it seems you can buy them right online http://www.brassknucklescompany.com/CRE/

I assume the seller themselves has the proper permits same as any one who sells guns..though unlike buying a gun maybe you don't need to show your allowed to carry one of these, I'm not really sure.

On another note I like that company's motto

"Be stronger, better, safer!"
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto wrote: »
    Brass knuckles are illegal? Why would you make those illegal while guns still aren't? :/
    Its a per state law, and in most countries they are flat out illegal country wide. In some states it was passed just to throw another reason to lock up unsavory types. If you round up a bunch of "mugs" chances are not many of them had guns or where even doing anything wrong. But considering every joe thug running around had a pair of knucks, it was easy to come up with something that sticks.

They get sold all the time in shops as "paper weights" or mounted in "display only" cases. They probably would have been fine if they took one of those routes. If someone tampers with the product and turns it into a weapon I don't think the seller is liable. Even if the only tampering the person did was to remove a half loosened screw, ha.

It's kind of the same loop hole some gun sellers and owners exploit "well make a display model that's easily modifiable and by pass a ton a of laws, what you do on your own is up to you, oh and by the way there are some instructions taped to the inside of the case..."

Still, you gotta wonder what they where thinking.
  • Wheel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doesn't this stink of one of those Sony stylee " we fucked up accidently on purpose " type stunts. There's no such thing as bad pubicity......see what i did there lol.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    dfacto wrote: »
    "any shuriken"

I'm sorry, but are shuriken attacks really something that needs to be addressed?
    There are a LOT of ninja in CA... huge clans of them.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    ahh, i bet EA got the brass from them damn ninjas! you know they all carry them illegal nunchaku too right?
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha this is hilarious! In the UK these are illegal to have for sure, as said above why else would you need to walk around with brass knuckles their for one purpose only and thats breaking someones jaw with the first swing lol.

Reminds me of TK Maxx selling a coat with a pocket knife on a chain lolol.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Illegal or not, who ever even thought this was a good idea? This doesn't do anything that help enforce the 'games promote violence' brigade. It's not like the brass knuckles are collectible in any way. You can't use them with the game. What really is the point?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as "opps we fu*ked up" swag goes, these will probably become pretty collectible. Especially if they are trying to get them all back.

They should have sent out big goddy rings. Only the grunts working over people who are behind on their payments, would use brass knuckles. Show a little mob class EA... shesh...
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Lol funny for sure.

But are those real or just crappy plastic stuff that would be easly bronken?

But going on the offtopic, it is damn idiot guns are still allowed...
  • JesterBox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JesterBox polycounter lvl 18
    I want some.

I don't get while there Illegal. If those are Illegal so should holding a roll of quarters. Or wearing a whole mess or rings.

What pisses me off is that the "omg violent video games are whats wrong with my children not my poor parenting skills" people are going to throw this shit at the fan harder than Nolan Ryan.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    that's totally fucking insane. what are they thinking shipping brass knuckles with a violent video game anyway?

I'll bet it's an attempt for negative publicity. they were probably trying to get on the news.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Thats pretty baddass.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    As a press promotional item I'd love to get one. Yes it would be better if they were encased in resin or something so they were a thematic paperweight (legally speaking) but its a great promo piece to go along with a mobster game.

Good idea, bad execution.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    reminded me of the two worlds collectors edition, coming with a dagger ;)
    TwoWorlds_CollectorsEdition.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    PCGAMER UK wasn't too keen..
    the opening sentence goes: 'The Godfather II evokes its '60s timeframe by appearing to have been programmed then.'

...'we get grey, unconvincing cities, wonky shooting, hopeless driving, laggy controls and dialogue that veers between unintentionally funny and horifically bored'

oh dear :/
  • karlsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's totally fucking insane. what are they thinking shipping brass knuckles with a violent video game anyway?

I'll bet it's an attempt for negative publicity. they were probably trying to get on the news.

110% agreed, mostly kids will order the video game and they don't understand the laws and right/wrong uses of brass knuckles. It will be directly helping to make our kids gangsters and law breakers. this must be stopped.