Home Technical Talk

Need your input...Mouse Button Short Cuts for Max

Junkie_XL
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
Hi,

I'm working with someone whom I've known for a while at a technology company who is developing a multi-button mouse. It has about 20 buttons not including your regular left, right, & scroll wheel click. It also has an analog stick for the thumb side.

It's more along the lines of a gaming MMO mouse but he wants it to be used for applications too.

He tasked me with coming up with a pre-configured max setup for the beta and I'd thought I'd ask all of you fine folks here if you have any favorite 3ds max keyboard shortcuts you'd like to see in your mouse hand instead?

For example isolating an object (Alt-Q) could be mapped to a single button.

I imagine it might sound a bit weird but I was wondering if people might humor the notion for a second. It's close to going into production so I could maybe see about getting some people here some beta mice too.

Replies

• foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    I use a Logitech mx518 mouse and these are the mouse functions I have mapped to it.

delete
    backspace
    ring
    loop
    connect
    collapse edge
    chamfer edge
    open selection floater
    open uvw editor
    open material editor

There's more too but they are for specific functions in polyboost or orionflame

Some other good ones would probably be weld, shrink, grow, cut ...
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    split loop
    loop select
    ring select
    connect
    extude
    collapse
    cycle pivot mode
    repeat last operation
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use a Logitech mx518 mouse and these are the mouse functions I have mapped to it.

delete
    backspace
    ring
    loop
    connect
    collapse edge
    chamfer edge
    open selection floater
    open uvw editor
    open material editor

There's more too but they are for specific functions in polyboost or orionflame

Some other good ones would probably be weld, shrink, grow, cut ...

Sorry I wanted to get back to this. So are you mapping those functions to the buttons with macros? maxscripts?

The prototypes cost about $1,000 each but we're seeing if we can get that price down. I can still probably get a few to send sometime in the future if anyone is still interested. I won't have a whole bunch to send so ideally a character artist at blizzard would be the right type of candidates. ;-)
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    I've used a Nostromo N52 in conjuntion w/ a mouse before and it's a cool but slightly bulky setup. This sounds like a really cool idea for a mouse, but utterly fails IMHO if the buttons are not eventually user programmable through macros.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    you can use logitech's "set point" software combined with uberoptions to customize the mouse buttons to do whatever you want.

It would involve a combination of max hotkeys and mouse software to do this, so for example if I put "undo" on one of my thumb buttons, I am actually binding "ctrl+z" to that thumb button.

I wouldnt worry so much about a "preset default", everyone works differently and has different "favourite" tools, and a lot of people have custom hotkeys and scripts as well.
    All that really matters is that they make some decent software that lets you easily and efficiently customize every button, for every software.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    20 Buttons on a mouse? sounds cool! I always run out of hotkeys for my left hand to use so this is a great idea. Pre-configured setups are ok, but like 8FtSpider said, I think most people will want to program their own hotkeys. Automatic switching between different application hotkey profiles is a must too. I look forward to seeing more info about this product.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Yeah, I use an n52te gamer pad and I can tab threw 3 different custom setups.
    http://www.n52te.com/
    It has its own software that comes with it and some sort of built in memory device so if I take the pad to a different computer and plug it in; all the custom keys in all 3 setups stay in tact on the gamer pad. If you set it up right (which took me like an entire day to do) you have access to the whole keyboard in just your left hand and its much more comfortable than a regular keyboard also (I had to mod mine a little to sit right with me though).
    Anyways, I have grown so accustom to it I couldn't work without it; and I think if you guys were to have a look at it, you could certainly improve upon its design. I am really interested to see the proto type you guys have atm.

[Edit] I actually have the same mouse as foreverrendering, but I only use its keys for browsing the web really. I could only imagine the power of having the gamerpad in conjuction with a 20 button mouse.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8FtSpider wrote: »
    I've used a Nostromo N52 in conjuntion w/ a mouse before and it's a cool but slightly bulky setup. This sounds like a really cool idea for a mouse, but utterly fails IMHO if the buttons are not eventually user programmable through macros.

There is a software developer on board and he is indeed making customizable macros possible. Initially it was WoW that got us going. And personally the official WoW MMO mouse is a piece of crap we feel. Hold in a button and it sticks, really chincy.

It will come in two flavors, we are partnering with OpenOffice and it'll have their logo on it and colors. OpenOffice creators want to bring their product to retail bundled with something and chances are it will be our mouse. It'll also sell stand alone tentatively titled "WarMouse" for now.

We have mouse motherboards made and ready to go. Trying to find the right partner for the outer shell & clickable buttons.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like it finally surfaced. Some think it is ugly...lol
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/06/openofficemouse-isnt-free-isnt-pretty/#comments

I don't know when it will be available but I might be able to get a few people here some test samples if you want to try it out...
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I totally want to try that!!!
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Ooh! I read about that yesterday and found it really intriguing =), was already seeing a whole lot of useful applications for it, and the joystick could actually be really useful to move around in a level editor with. I would be really interested in trying this out!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hehe yeah, totally!
    I m actually trying to find a way to map maya-style viewport navigation to keypresses, kindof like Amapi back in the days, ... to avoid hours and hours of repeated mouse dragging just to rotate stuff. Such macros assigned to the extra buttons of this mouse ... would kick ass!!
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad to hear some aren't totally repulsed by my design...lol I can post renders here if people are curious about the other color schemes we had in mind while trying to find distribution partners.

They're still trying to tighten up the joystick settings and get them straightened out. I guess it works quite well with everything from FireFox to WoW.

I'll make it a polycount exclusive thing, heh. I'll be getting a few production samples that I can give away over the coming weeks I'm hearing with first dibs probably going to users here with high profile companies. We'd like some 3ds max and Maya configuration profiles to go along with the game profiles the software will have. You can customize your own as well.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Send some of those samples our way ;)

I'd be very interested to try this out!
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neat! Though I wonder how easy it is to use all of those buttons. Most of them look like they would feel kind of the same under your fingertips, might get confusing. I bet with some practice it would be all good though.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hard to tell from the pics, but some buttons are convex and others are concave so the user can get some difference in tactile feedback without having to look down.

I believe a pro version will be re-visited in the future with structural and software changes based on community feedback.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah excellent. Hopefully this makes it out to the mainstream marketplace soon, I'd love to try one out too.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Junkie_XL wrote: »
    Glad to hear some aren't totally repulsed by my design...lol I can post renders here if people are curious about the other color schemes we had in mind while trying to find distribution partners.

They're still trying to tighten up the joystick settings and get them straightened out. I guess it works quite well with everything from FireFox to WoW.

I'll make it a polycount exclusive thing, heh. I'll be getting a few production samples that I can give away over the coming weeks I'm hearing with first dibs probably going to users here with high profile companies. We'd like some 3ds max and Maya configuration profiles to go along with the game profiles the software will have. You can customize your own as well.

I want dibs for the non-high profile company guys :p. I'd love to experiment with this on various level editors i'm working with at the moment, torque, unreal, unity etc... and of course make mad useful 3dsmax setups for weird modelling workflows :)!!
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're lucky I liked Bionic Commando, Peris. ;)

The more configuration profiles for various software programs the better.

Yeah anyone who is interested send me a PM with an address you want it to go to and your current/past job. Without me asking, pior sent me his info and is already at the top of the list.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    sweet! Info sent =).