Home Technical Talk

Alchemy betal 0.7

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
Awesomesauce....
http://al.chemy.org/download

FInally a release that doesnt rely on leaf monsters! also we have pressure sensitivity!

Just messing around in this new ver.

instantjonessm.png

Edit: Fark... slightly misspelled the title :/.

Replies

• tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    ha. i'm quite fond of that term that's been coined : leaf monsters. real excited with this release. karl's done a wicked job and there's some well worthwhile additions / tweaks been made. hope folks continue to pick it up as a fun tool to ' get the juices flowing '
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah good news, got the email yesterday
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    ha, what exactly is a leaf monster?

Very happy about pressure sensitivity in this release
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    For me, Alchemy provides little more than a way to quickly sketch something symmetrical. I think the program could be a lot more useful/powerful if all the features and effects were affected by pressure sensitivity, rather than its being one tool. Moving in the right direction, however! I like it.
    Alchemy-2009-04-09-15-40-22a.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW wrote: »
    ha, what exactly is a leaf monster?
    Just about every thumbnail ever done for Dom War in which someone used Alchemy, turned into a leaf monster. Drove me nuts. "check out my big sacttered pile of crap, tait I creative!? I cans grip wacom pen wiff ass cheeks! SQUEEL!"
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, I was noticing that too. It was a big spree of "doing it wrong." Scribbling a bunch of shapes to make a big mess on the outline in Alchemy is no different than were you to just scribble a bunch of shapes in any other application. I like Alchemy for its stroke smoothing; controlled chaos stuff is only powerful when you use your imagination to expand upon the broader shapes.

Ah well, it's fun to use.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    haha yeah, i found alot of people were doing that and yeah it is fairly annoying to see people doing it.

Oh well at least it caused some people to break out some more interesting shillouettes :).
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Vig wrote: »
    Just about every thumbnail ever done for Dom War in which someone used Alchemy, turned into a leaf monster. Drove me nuts. "check out my big sacttered pile of crap, tait I creative!? I cans grip wacom pen wiff ass cheeks! SQUEEL!"

I'd say that it really depends on how you're using it and what mode you choose to work with. This software has some great potential (like Vrav said). I personnaly tried to use it as a photoshop alternative and not as a pre-alpha-sketch-concept-leafmaker-stuff, and this is working pretty well so far.

For some reason, I get similar feelings (with mirror mode enabled) that I get in Zbrush or Mudbox... Weird :]

Anyways, this app deserve a try for sure !
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No doubt its great if its used right, just like any tool. But too many people picked it up thinking it was a make art button. They never took the time to refine the leaf monsters into something useful. The few that did use it properly cranked out some nice stuff. Just too many people thought it would crank out a concept for them with no effort, instant leaf monster... surprisingly very few of those entries are still going, I'm shocked =P