Home General Discussion

I need an advice

Hello!I'm new here. I've been browsing tons of forums for an idea of what to do. I was laid off from my job about 3 month ago. I've been looking for a job since then, but did not even get a single interview. I worked as a web designer for a publishing company for the last 5 years. Looks like boards.polycount.net is an active forum with active members and may be someone has some experience working as a freelance web designer. May be "Freelance jobs" category is not the most appropriate for this question, but I want to try anyways to get some opinions before I go ahead with my life. I'm wondering if it is possible in the current economy to find work for a freelance web designer and make enough to pay for rent and groceries. I was able to find a small project on craigslist and I developed a website for a company. It was a small project and took me only a week to complete. I got paid $800 for 1 week of work which is not bad. Please people give me some ideas. I have 2 kids and my wife is out of work as well. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Moved this thread from Freelance Jobs, as it isn't a Freelance listing.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there affiteSem, sorry to hear about your situation. I don't have any web design experience so I can't say how viable it is as a freelance source of income. The only observation that I can make is that most of the ads I see for web design work are looking for cheap labor straight out of or still in school. Maybe the web design industry has taken the same route as the graphic design industry where it's all about cheap labor rather than skilled labor... Maybe if you have some programming skills you can move into that industry, or if not try and learn some programming to land some of the more technical web design jobs. You might want to try this site as well as craigslist for finding some work. http://www.getafreelancer.com/ Good luck with finding some work, I hope your situation improves soon.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    I would have to agree with Ben, Web and graphic industry's have really fallen into cheap labor. The only other thing I can think of is to start finding sites you think could use a redesign and start offering your services as well as going to sites like ben mentioned.

A few others are guru.com / ifreelance.com / odesk.com

The biggest problem with the bidding sites though is your often competing with people in other countries and you'll realize you simply can't compete with how cheap they are willing to do the work. Though there is some people that are looking for American only workers. Hope things work out for you!