Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

2 girl model crits

Good day to all!

I was just wondering if you gents would be as kind as to help me out by Getting some good Crits and opinions into these two models. Mainly in texturing, since that's what I do (I didn't model them but I Can modify them if you make a good point on the modelling)

The models in question are these: They're for a low poly indie game we're developing. So, what do you think? One still needs her hair done (the blonde one) the other is "finished" but that depends on crits!

Thanks in advance

violetgrandinprogress.jpg
jetgirlviews.jpg

Replies

• warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    both models and textures look great from a technical stand point but jesus christ the "motive" is awful ! you might wanna look for a different concept artist !
  • heribertovalle
    warby wrote: »
    both models and textures look great from a technical stand point but jesus christ the "motive" is awful ! you might wanna look for a different concept artist !

Hey there Warby. I happen to be the concept artist (char designer) too so I'd like to know what do you mean by the "Motive". As I don't quite get what's bothering you, or what you dislike. But I'm interested on what you have to say if you don't mind telling me in detail.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe he meant motif - could be the anime look that's bothering him?
  • heribertovalle
    Maybe he meant motif - could be the anime look that's bothering him?

That's what I think too but i'd like to know exactly what he doesn't like. I mean, once you stylize something you're bound to have people that like it and others that just loathe it, which is quite ok. But It's nice to know the opinions of others since so far nobody has said they don't like the style of our game (so it's interesting to know the other side of the coin)
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    nah i am down with anime .... and yes i cant spell my way out of a wet napkin :D

maybe this will help to explain because i am having trouble finding the right words that don't sound too mean:

Good:

flcl-naota.jpg

Bad:

escaflowne.jpg
  • heribertovalle
    personal taste it is then. alright that's quite fine. Well, anyone's got crits on the models/textures, improvements?
  • Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimono polycounter lvl 10
    Nice style, the painted on reflections on the metal irk me though. With the up close detail shots they look great but from further away they look more like strips of paint. I'm not sure whether it will break your style but mixing some texture into the reflections might help to break them up a bit and get it looking a tad bit more natural :)

E: P.S. More boob
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice style :) I think the motif warby is on about is infact the logo and im guessing by your examples warby you are suggesting its too clutered. Think your right heribertovalle, personal taste as i quite like it :) I would be interested in seeing some assetts from the game too if you have any.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    uhm, I couldn't really tell if it was a girl or a guy. hmm.. and Im mostly thinking about the faces.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I think the eyes are too round-- it makes them look slightly surprised. I am not a fan of the eye and gem shading either. The gems would look better with some spec and more caustics painted in, and I don't like the hard shading and double iris on the eye.

Esclafowne is one of my favorite anime series of all time, and while the art takes some getting used to I think it is still good. One of the things that is good about it is that it is instantly recognizable.

I think you are close to nailing the style, but I feel like it is just not totally there yet. The characters really strike me as a bit too 'Saturday morning cartoon' and not enough anime-- so again, it may just be that I don't totally dig the look you are going for. If not, I would also consider adjusting the mouth and chin sizes and spacing.
  • heribertovalle
    Ninjas - Eyes too round. I'll take that into good account. The hard shading has to be there because these models are 100% Self illuminated. and are usually seen from afar so we gotta exaggerate a bit.

And we're trying to make it look also a bit toon. Say, in what way does this alienate you mr. ninja? Mouth, chin sizes noted too.

Kawe - What exactly is putting you off they being girls?

frubes - Sure, what assets you'd like to see?

Kimono- what do you suggest for the reflections? We don't have reflection maps to make this look metal without hard shading? I'm not too much a fan of adding textures since it might break the style (specially when the backgrounds don't have gritty textures )

- Boobs? Come again? don't think so, blonde's a preteen, other is a 14 year old. Don't think that's needed.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    To be more specific:
    SoV_Paintover.jpg

[edit]
    Also, it is nice to see something different around here-- nice work
  • heribertovalle
    [edit]
    Also, it is nice to see something different around here-- nice work[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot.

Ok I can see your point Ninja on the face. But I believe that's just doing it in a different style completely. I'll have to search for how to adjust it with the style constraints. Thanks!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    its very cute, nice poppy style. i agree with ninjas about the eyes - specifically the double iris on the second girl, that doesn't make any sense. the smaller highlight shouldn't have a line around it also, it flattens the orb of the eye.

some elements of the models are very detailed (relatively) and others are sketchy, almost untouched. the gloves and hair of the first guy primarily, for example. i'd also look into adding some more red to the first guy's darker body color, he's/ she's too 'chalky'
    like ninja said 'she' looks too sexual ambiguous, needs more hips.
  • heribertovalle
    shotgun wrote: »
    its very cute, nice poppy style. i agree with ninjas about the eyes - specifically the double iris on the second girl, that doesn't make any sense. the smaller highlight shouldn't have a line around it also, it flattens the orb of the eye.

some elements of the models are very detailed (relatively) and others are sketchy, almost untouched. the gloves and hair of the first guy primarily, for example. i'd also look into adding some more red to the first guy's darker body color, he's/ she's too 'chalky'
    like ninja said 'she' looks too sexual ambiguous, needs more hips.

That's because the hair isn't done. The gloves are supposed to be though so I'll give it a better detail pass.

And he's a she. a girl. She's supposed to look tomboyish, but now I'm worried people think she's a boy outright. A bit more red will do too thanks a lot.

Hips will do the trick then. I'm going to try that for the second one.

Great crits Shotgun, Thank you.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Hey interesting style, I kinda like it ! :) I won't bother you with already mentioned crits.

Here are a few other thoughts :

- The specular could use some more love on the leather (boots and the gloves on 1th girl) Atm, it's like they have the same material than jacket 'n pants.

- The way the shoulders/arms are modeled on the 1th girl is giving me a "Rubber arms" feeling. This could be solved by posing her but I still think that the way you designed/modeled all these "curvatures" in the costum isn't really helping. (potential personnal taste spotted ;) ).

- I'd add an Ambiant Occlusion pass (but not black !) on the first girl as well. Atm, everything is a little bit too bright and not enough "connected". (Not sure If I was really clear on this point). I can see that you tried to fake the effect by hand, but it doesn't give the right feeling to me.

- Be sure that the "floating hairs" are always facing the camera. The profil view isn't showing the top one on the 1er Girl.

- The butt of the 2nd Girl seems very flat (modeling side)

Keep up the good work :)
  • monstro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm not an anime fan at all but i like your characters. mostly the stylized texturing, it fits very well. good job.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    right, I was typing out a lengthy reply but I accidentally pressed something and it disappeared. yay.

anyway. I was looking at this and the only reason I knew it was girls was cause of the topic. so I tried analyzing the images a little and I still can't put my finger on exactly where the problem is.

but I decided to give it a shot to help you out anyway. but if you feel any doubt about what Im saying then I'd suggest you to disregard it since I'm making some wild guesses here :)

for the first character I think the issue is silhouette. the clothing produces a pretty masculine look. the arms would look as if they had big muscles and the shoulders look broad. just look at the back view. almost feels like a monkey which I dont think is girly at all. the only thing that makes it look like a girl is the big eyes which is usually reserved for girls in animes. there's nothing wrong with round eyes. it makes them look more innocent though. not sure if you want that.

you should look into making the silhouette more feminine. that doesn't mean you have to make the actual body more feminine (big boobs etc. etc.). as an example we can actually look at your second character.

the second character has a better silhouette imo. more curvature without actually changing the body shape much. like in the back view at the bottom of the jacket it curves out and gives a nice illusion of a nice feminine waist. the things that drape over her butt could possibly enhance the butt silhouette but it doesnt show up too much in the side view. my biggest problem with the second character though is that the jaws make her look masculine. the paintover done by ninjas shows kind of what I mean.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I like the second character. She's pretty sexy. Freckles are way too big and stretched, though.

First character's design is a bit off-putting, personally. Her silhouette is just bizarre, with all the extreme shapes of her jacket and gloves. Reminds me of an anime cap'n crunch.
  • heribertovalle
    Hey interesting style, I kinda like it ! :) I won't bother you with already mentioned crits.

Here are a few other thoughts :

- The specular could use some more love on the leather (boots and the gloves on 1th girl) Atm, it's like they have the same material than jacket 'n pants.

- The way the shoulders/arms are modeled on the 1th girl is giving me a "Rubber arms" feeling. This could be solved by posing her but I still think that the way you designed/modeled all these "curvatures" in the costum isn't really helping. (potential personnal taste spotted ;) ).

- I'd add an Ambiant Occlusion pass (but not black !) on the first girl as well. Atm, everything is a little bit too bright and not enough "connected". (Not sure If I was really clear on this point). I can see that you tried to fake the effect by hand, but it doesn't give the right feeling to me.

- Be sure that the "floating hairs" are always facing the camera. The profil view isn't showing the top one on the 1er Girl.

- The butt of the 2nd Girl seems very flat (modeling side)

Keep up the good work :)

Thanks a lot for the reply!

Ok. I'm quite the amateur. I would like to know what is an ambient Occlusion Pass, I'm self taught and I don't know yet a lot of things about 3d.

Sectaurs - Glad you like the character. The bulky girl is meant to look that way, as her clothes just don't fit her and her gloves are too big. I got a very good laugh from the cap'n crunch thing :)
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only one thing jumped out at me and that's the first character's arms. Too much space in the arm pits, like the shoulders have been pulled out of their sockets. Also makes (him? her?) look strangely butch in a way that doesn't match the feminine style. So I'd pull the arms starting at the shoulder towards the body a bit so a it looks more balanced. Also on the first character, make that huge curl of hair sticking out on top into a volume instead of an alpha plane, it's too big and in a prominent area to get away with that technique (the little piece can stay a plane).

Other than that, can't really crit much on that kind of texturing as it's almost flat. Very Kingom Hearts and it works for the style.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    It looks for me that they are always looking up...
  • notebookguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Use ambient occlusion to bring out some shadows
  • heribertovalle
    Use ambient occlusion to bring out some shadows

Sure I'd love to! Only thing is I don't know what ambient occlusion is! hehe. I'm sorry for being such an amateur, would you care to elaborate on what this means for the model's textures?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    ambient occlusion differs a bit based on what software you're using, but basically, it's where you put a certain type of light into the scene that calculates soft shadows on the model very accurately. You then "bake" that lighting pass, and multiply it onto your diffuse texture.