Home Technical Talk

Max 2009 Snaps - Anyone else get this?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
Ok, my on going battle between 3dsmax and it's snapping tools continues. We were doing alright there and if I go back to Max9 it works how I thought it should, but I'm in 2009 now and theres a bit of a problem.

To offer some examples of my issues and to show I'm not crazy (maybe just stupid) heres what's going on.

It's basically snapping off the grid, but then I tried vertex placer because how could a script be wrong (it can, but what are the odds its as wrong as me snapping) and it's doing pretty much the same thing, where its snapping to something, but not the grid. So I'm thinking its a video driver thing that is displaying my grid all screwy.

Has anyone come across this? Is it common? is there a fix?

maxsnaps.jpg

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think if you go the Options tab of the Grid and Snap Settings, and check on Use Axis Center As Start Snap Point, you'll probably get something close to what you're looking for.

Without this turned on it will snap the placement of your cursor to whatever. It defaults to off making snaps near useless.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I ran into this same problem recently in Max 2008 and had to turn on the option Vig mentions. Why it's off by default, I have no idea...
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Whats weird though is I had it turned off in max 9 but it worked fine. Also just tried this option and its still snapping, but not to the grid, but consistently off the grid, like where it snaps is the same distance between the line as the other... if that makes sense?
  • ant_march
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant_march polycounter lvl 10
    the latest max 2008 and 2009 releases have many new defaults settings changed, just to keep us on our toes. The snapping issues have also :poly122: me , especially when drawing with splines, so I'll see if its any better with this checkbox activated.
  • airbrush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    airbrush polycounter lvl 13
    I have a tutorial on my site I made a while back that explains the snapping features. Seems like there is confusion for a lot of people at my work and in general on how it works.

Just go to the 3d section of my site www.custom-airbrush.com under tutorials....