Home Technical Talk

Illusion Catalyst Tools for Max

Just saw this over at cgtalk. looks really cool.
http://www.illusioncatalyst.com/index.html

A guy made some nice toolset for max. Looks really good. And besides that, its free.

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    wow amazing,- I already started writing some custom functions but its nothing compared to that set, thx for the link will defenitly give it a try.

Even more amazing its for free- since it has some stuff PolyBoost and Orionflame do not have yet
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    wow from what i can tell from the manual this really kicks ass :D. I downloaded and installed it immediately. Ran into some problems though: for the brush thingie they say it's good to use your wacom so i tried it... but now i can't rotate my view around :(. Is there a hotkey for arc rotate or something? Oh and my monitor is too small, i can't see all the menus ;). (i belive it's 15 or 17 inch :P).
    if i get used to this it might make stuff a lot easier :D
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great, thanks bitmap!

japhir, try increasing your display resolution.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That's really cool, thanks for the heads up! :)
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome cheers!!!!
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Just started using this week. AWESOME. I'm gonna send the dude like 40 bucks through paypal. This is really helpful.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for bringing up an ancient thread, but does anyone still use this? I just heard of it and watched the videos on their site, then installed it. I like the concept, since my wacom pen is always in my hand anyway, but it just seems heavily suited for imprecise work like organics, but not very useful for hardbody subd or enviro art (again, except for terrain, vines etc).

Is anyone getting any use out of this for their day-to-day, or was it more just a curiosity that you forgot about after a couple days of playing around with the cool features?

Anyone want to share workflows or setups that might convince me to give this a real try?
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Well when not doing organics I still use its loop/ring tools sense they work with verts and polys instead of just edges. The IC.PolySplitRing extension is also great for hard surface and general use.
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hi guys,
    I'm glad to see this thread around from the times I wasn't a polycounter yet. Thanks to Bitmap for starting it and to all of you who hanged around.

I don't know how to say how much I strive for information about users experience with IllusionCatalyst. I requested good time lapses references (here) to see how people work and define guidelines for new instruments. I'm currently studying the 3ds sdk to code IC2. There are a lot of technical difficulties, C++ is not very friendly and sdk even less, just to use an euphemism. I therefore cannot say anything about timings and so on. Every time I figure out how to do something there are other two things I miss, anyway I'm holding up. :poly127:

It's still a bit too soon to open a wish list, since I want to develop a solid core, but I'm anytime open to ideas and feedback about existing and upcoming instruments. Maybe to correct a glitch is a question of seconds, but I don't even know it is a trouble for you.

@ glib: You're perfectly right, IC.Shape was developed with organic modeling in mind, but I'd like to code new tools and instruments to help the more accurate and geometric shaped hard surfaces modeling. As PolyHertz mentioned (thanks), a try at this is the experimental feature in IC.PolySplitRing (pressing shift) that draws a loop keeping constant the offset from the closest pick side.

@ PolyHertz: I kept in mind your pattern selector tool. Something nice can come from it, in some spare time I nailed down the interface and thought out usability. Cannot make promises, but it could become a new tool.

Thank you very much for your interest and support.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StncViewS: I'm hopeful, would be very useful if it could be made into a real tool :)

Also, sense you say your always looking for new ideas, their's another one I've wanted to see for a while. In my workflow I use the bridge command almost constantly, as is by far one of my most used tools, but its horribly stupid and basic. So as to get extra functionality out of it (such as the ability to create tris between two adjoined edges or make connections between two loops where only part of the geo is open) I use an ancient plugin that was designed for Max5 called PolyMagus. Unfortunatly its extended feature set ends short of what would be theal productivity booster: The ability to mass bridge a large number of selections at a time. For example:

sbridge_01.jpg

In order to bridge these areas with the default command it'd be necessary to deselect all of them, select the desired edges to join, bridge, and then repeat for every area. I find myself doing this quite a bit, and it gets to be a huge time burn. In conjunction with the pattern selector script, and/or along with polymagus functions, this could be extremely useful I believe.

Also, like the other script, polyboost (and hense assumidly max2010) don't have anything like it.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, you could do them en-masse with Border>Cap. That would make a single polygon for each hole though.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, but the hidden cuts in the geo it creates is always very bad, useful sometimes, but not in most cases :-/
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey
    thanks for the tips, the more the better. I've just got the PolyMagus script to try and take a good look at its features, and possibly figure out something better, anyway I don't want to plagiarize anyone's work. It will fit in my inspiration scripts folder. FYI current IC.Shape can bridge two edges sharing a vertex: in Draw mode by dragging out from the mesh while pressing ALT and landing over the next edge. It's not a super solution, but better than nothing.
    It took me some time to reply, cause I've been dedicated to taming the "SDK's PainterInterface beast". It seems the next IC will work on Edit Poly modifiers too. :)

Thank you again
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Hey, these tools have become a big part of my workflow now, absolutely love working with them. If there's one suggestion i could give about it right now is that it would be great if instead of a floating window, it would be in the utilities tab in the command panel, that's one less floating window and it would be easily accesible =). I don't know if this is even possible with the way you laid it out though!
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I'm doing something a bit more organic next rather than my usual mechanical subd. I'll give these a good try.
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Peris: I'm really happy to hear that you like IC and actually use it in production workflow. I'm not sure about how long would it take to make it an utility plugin, I guess it should be divided into three scripts and the whole interface would need to be reworked since the width doesn't fit exactly the Command Panel. Another issue that comes to mind is about the Command Panel that needs to be in "Modify Mode" for the PainterInterface to work. Not completely, but quite sure about it. I have a question about the interface: would you feel the same, if rather than having a quite big panel like the current one, it was much "lighter", consisting essentially of icons, like the vertical toolbar you got, for example, in Photoshop CS2? Dockable, of course.

@ Glib: I infer from your posts that your models are mainly mechanical, are there features you miss and would really like to have which would improve and ease your modeling workflow? Maybe some existing tool that doesn't work exactly as you like, or instruments you wish to see developed more. I'm not speaking about IC in particular, this is a very general question. Sometimes a good unexpected outcome can come from a need.

p.s.
    3ds Max Design 2010 has been released about two days ago, the trial is already available for download and I haven't read a single line about it on this forum... I love you guys, this is exactly the difference between who do the job, and who can only speak about it!

"Those who can, do; those who can't, teach." -- George Bernard Shaw
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    SyncViewS wrote: »
    @ Peris: I'm really happy to hear that you like IC and actually use it in production workflow. I'm not sure about how long would it take to make it an utility plugin, I guess it should be divided into three scripts and the whole interface would need to be reworked since the width doesn't fit exactly the Command Panel. Another issue that comes to mind is about the Command Panel that needs to be in "Modify Mode" for the PainterInterface to work. Not completely, but quite sure about it. I have a question about the interface: would you feel the same, if rather than having a quite big panel like the current one, it was much "lighter", consisting essentially of icons, like the vertical toolbar you got, for example, in Photoshop CS2? Dockable, of course.

Yeah a light dockable version with small icons would be really great :D. Right now i usually have the toolbar minimised and use shortcut keys to access the tools, only opening it for the stuff i dont have shortcuts for and use less often. I'm also wondering if its possible to have the three tabs as seperate toolbars. As an environment artist i don't really have any use for the face and mime tools. So for someone like me just using it for modelling, a small alternative toolbar with only the shape tools as small icons would be perfect. I almost feel guilty asking you this since your making these tools for free! Let me know if you ever need someone to make icons for this or so :D