Home General Discussion

day rate, entry level?

hey guys,

quick question -- what is a reasonable day (or hourly) rate for an entry level 3d artist? i'm fresh out of school (bfa media arts) with most of my experience in the graphic/motion design field.

i found some entry level day rates for motion graphics on some other boards, but i'm not sure what it would be for a 3d artist (i'd primarily be modeling characters for 2-4 weeks).

thanks,

rob

Replies

• Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Usually you're paid a yearly salary, not by the hour. Every studio is different, though. There have been a number of these threads here on polycount. Usually people are pointed to the various game industry salary surveys on gamasutra and other sites.
  • monstro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i know (about yearly salary), but i am asking for a freelance job i am inquiring about. they'd like to know a daily/hourly rate. my bad, i should have been more clear. i searched for "day rate" and didn't find anything, i'll search gamasutra. thanks.
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    take what you can afford to live on, and continue to perfect your craft. finding out the common wage for a 3d artist and hard lining your employer may backfire. Add up your bills, your food, ect... add a fun time 100 dollar bill and do get moving on the project...

Im currently freelancing and my employer is in the same geographic area as me, so they understand the cost of living, and basically, its that... as a freelance artist starting out, you better be happy doing what you you are doing. because from what ive seen, especially lately, I cant seem to find a way to stroll straight into 7k a month like in the IT business where I came from... but then, its not really about the money to me. I work twice as hard and about 1/3 more hours for almost half the price, but I couldnt be happier.

having said all that, if your contracted service is indeed equal to the hired counterpart.... a contracted service should net like 15-20 % more than a hired drone typically, due to insurance, benefits ect depending... at least it was like that installing networks and PCs.
  • monstro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i'm not looking or expecting a huge, bloated pay -- they are the ones asking about it and since i have no previous 3d freelance experience, i'm not sure what i should respond with. i just want something fair and am trying to figure out how to...price myself. i'm a hard worker and expect to put in a lot more time/sweat/effort than i'll probably be getting paid for and i'm okay with that right now because i'm trying to get my foot in the door.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    I charged $20/hr at my first job, after 3 months they hired me on salary.

My 2nd Job was paid hourly at at about $21/hr
  • monstro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Rwolf, I appreciate that.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Lots of good points.

I have a very good friend who is a full time freelancer and he reckons he charges about 2-3 times the cost of an onsite employee. Freelancers usually charge at least double because half the time they don't have any work, and the employers know this too.

While that may sound high, it's not since the company who hire him don't have to pay him any bonuses or pension, or sort out healthcare.

So, back to your question. Fresh out of school with no experience, but with an education and some skills - take the minimum wage and double it.