Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

feedback needed

Could use some feedback on these models. They are all works in progress and I want to get them to look a lot better.
me3.jpgme1.jpg2nd1.jpg2nd2.jpg2nd3.jpg3rd1.jpg3rd2.jpg3rd3.jpg

Replies

• Helixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helixx polygon
    Hey fwbehemoth.

At first glance your models suffer from what happened to me when I started modeling. Too much geometry doing nothing.

On the first guy for example, you started with the face and because of incorrect edge loop techniques you ended up with a ton of extra lines that you ended up using down the front and back of the rest of the model. My advice on getting them looking better is first off taking some serious time to get yourself some good reference photos to use for heads (make sure you're using at least a front and a profile when you're starting out). Next I'd suggest you check out this quick tutorial on getting some better edge loops. Not only will it make the faces look better but you'll end up with alot less wasted geometry and a model that will animate much better. Good luck with the models and thanks for sharing.
    Cheers
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Definitely check that tutorial that Helixx put up. I was going to say the same exact thing.

Ears look slightly odd. They usually stick out a tad more and not so much pinned up next to head.

Also, with the clothing. Areas where it's by skin looks funny, i.e. neck, arm, and waist. Clothing should look though it was some depth and that it's not like stuck on him.

Good start thus far though. Keep it up.

AK
  • fwbehemoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Helixx and Kincade have some great advice and the technical side of you model. What I would say, as I'm not a modeler myself, is that it's really important that you have a good understanding of the object before you begin modeling.

Are you using any reference for this? Have you done any sketches for how you want the finished model to look? If you do/have then post that stuff as well-- it'll allow other polycounters to give you more specific and helpful crits on your work. Even if you're working from reference it's still important to do sketches first as that will help you to familiarize yourself with the object before you start shifting to 3d. That way when you're modeling you can focus more on edge loop techniques instead of matching the reference.

Keep on truckin, and keep posting-- there's a lot of talented, helpful people on these forums.
  • notebookguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't be discouraged even great artist never stop trying to get better the one thing you have to think about is how is the model going to be used if these models a for a LOD Level of Detail which is basically a model of the same character but used in a game engine when the distance from the camera will nor distinguish the lower level of detail but if these are going to been seen by the camera close-up or mid level then keep working on the tutorials. My work looked like that once too.