Home General Discussion

question about tablets

ru4it
polygon
Offline / Send Message
ru4it polygon
when looking for a tablet what should i look for, besides drawing surface and name brand

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    well there are different levels of pressure sensitivity, some pens can have different nibs for different feels.

I really wouldn't recommend buying anything other than a Wacom, Ive heard horror stories of tablets crapping out, also almost all other pens require batteries unlike Wacom.

there ate tablets from them starting at aroun $75 I think for the bamboo series smallest model.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah always go with wacom imo. You really get what you pay for in the way of tablets. I would go with a Intuos3 6x11. These are about standard at most developers, its great quality and a decent size. Wacom also makes a cheaper version of the Intuos...called bamboo, these are not as good and you can feel a huge difference between the Intuos and bamboo...
  • ru4it
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
    does anyone here use the 6x8 intuos?
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    At work I have the 6x8 intuos and I really love it, I actually prefer it over my 9x12 intuos i have at home for stuff like texture painting. my younger brother also just got a 6x8 bamboo last Christmas and he really likes it as well.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    i had a 6x8 intous great tabby, now all i use is my cintiq 12wx, my roomie had the 6x8 graphire till he got his cintiq, that was a decent tabby, better than the bamboo
  • ru4it
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
    all right then i shall get mine through newegg and save $30 w00t
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    careful you will become inseparable from your intous, you may even develop anxiety being away from it!
  • ru4it
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
  • Gill Bates
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If a Cintiq is in your budget get it! If I had to choose my Cintiq or my left hand...I would choose the Cintiq. The only downside is that its causing a rift in my marriage, as my wife get jealous of my relationship with Cintiqua :poly136:
  • ru4it
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
    i wish i could afford a cintiq but the intuos is in my budgit
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    get the intuos a5 if you have a 4:3 monitor, a5wide if you have a widescreen monitor. No sense is having all that wasted wacom space mapping a 4:3 tablet to a widescreen monitor.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Cojax wrote: »
    Wacom also makes a cheaper version of the Intuos...called bamboo, these are not as good and you can feel a huge difference between the Intuos and bamboo...
    Can you elaborate?
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    I really wouldn't recommend buying anything other than a Wacom, Ive heard horror stories of tablets crapping out, also almost all other pens require batteries unlike Wacom.

Seconded. I got one of the 'others'.... don't buy something like that. It's pure horror...

And now it's laying in a corner and waiting to catch up rust or something.

I got really annoying problems with it, changing the overall sensitivity without doing anything, then sometimes the tablet got the idea OHHHH SHINY I DRAW 10000 points/ lines... that of course screws around with your undo function a little bit ;)

And my next tablet will be a Wacom one as well Oo that no batterie function sounds really cool. Does any one know how well this works?
  • ColinR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColinR polycounter lvl 9
    Cojax wrote: »
    You really get what you pay for in the way of tablets.
    To an extent this is. I personally think their mice are awful quality wise.

This is the Intuos3 I'm talking about. Currently on my second mouse now and this one is starting to go as well, left click sometimes double clicks or does not register at all. Apart from that, I'd say get an Intuos3 like most people have mentioned.

My tablet itself has had hot tea spilt on it and still functions how it did on day one. Great piece of hardware.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    ru4it, glad you're looking at an intuos3, that's a fantastic piece of hardware. i've had mine dropped, scratched, submerged in a puddle, the usb plug bent, and it's still kicking. working good as new. toughness aside, the pen's a real pleasure to paint with. very well balanced and weighted, and nice shape.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i use 6X8 intuos 3. At work I have the bigger one, and I don't like it. I prefer 6X8 because I can put it in my lap if need be.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    I have a 9x12 intuos1.... it's a little large and I'd actually much prefer something of a 6x8 size or 6x11 for the sake of space on my desk.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Save your money and wait for the Intuos 4 :).
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Aftermath: have any pictures of the Intuos 4 been released? I hear you'll be demoing one at your GDC booth?
    I upgraded to a 9x12 Intuos 2 one year, it was too big. went back to a 6x8 Intuos 3, and never looked back.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeap we will be showing it at the booth should be a great time. There are currently no pictures on the internet of the Intuos 4 that I know of. Its a great pad thou so save the money.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I just got an intuous 3 a while back, but I Still love my graphire 2

Had that for about 6 years

If I had n't used it as a dinner tray/coaster I would still be using it ( its a bit warped)

Intuos 3 is pretty cool though
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They'll be quite a price difference between the intuos 3 and 4. so do wait, then snatch an intuos 3 for half the price ;)
  • ru4it
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
    aftermath do u have a release date or anything? cuz i just might save my money and wait
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Aftermath wrote: »
    Yeap we will be showing it at the booth should be a great time. There are currently no pictures on the internet of the Intuos 4 that I know of. Its a great pad thou so save the money.

This community is awesome.

...thanks for the heads-up btw. :)
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    I dont know if anyone has mentioned this, but when I was looking for a tablet someone told me to look at how I draw. Lots of people have different size strokes, if you have a smaller stroke you might be more comfortable with a smaller tablet, bigger stroke bigger tablet. Brands of course Wacom is the way to go. But the way you draw is something interesting to consider.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    there was a thread at 27th of February at the imaginefx forums covering the intuos4 with pictures and stuff, but it has since been removed. They hinted at a preview in that magazine, so I assume its right around the corner.

Personally I expect a may release.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=151572

The page Evil mentioned seems to have been removed. If you Google search it though you can still look at Google's cache of it, without pictures. The Concept Art link has someone's remembered drawing of it...
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it wrote: »
    aftermath do u have a release date or anything? cuz i just might save my money and wait

I know of the release date but I am under NDA so I can't disclose that info to you but I can tell you that its way sooner then Evils projected release date.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    aftermath, question: would you buy it to replace the current intuos3? :)
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I have a 9x12 Intuos 3 which I love to death. But our time has come to part our ways. I have a new love in my life. But that is my preference, to some people if things aren't broken then they dont replace.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    0309091137.jpg
    there's more shots in the guys photobucket account, posted yesterday on deviantart, so i'd guess it's due out in the next couple of weeks.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys got some balls. I just looked at that Image closer Marine and some things are missing. I know the box is real and such but mine is different then that one in some ways. I think thats a older stage of the design.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I'll say
    Anthro-Doe.jpg?t=1236708084

(also from his photobucket)
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    sigh.....

I just bought an Intuos 3 6x11 not a month ago and now they're coming out with Intuos 4. Fucking figures.

On a side note. I can attest to the difference between an Intuos 3 and a graphire. There's a noticeable enough difference in pen sensitivity that I would recommend the Intuos. I can only imagine that there would be an equal or greater difference between an Intuos and a Bamboo.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    Aftermath wrote: »
    Guys got some balls. I just looked at that Image closer Marine and some things are missing. I know the box is real and such but mine is different then that one in some ways. I think thats a older stage of the design.
    he mentions in the thread (http://forum.deviantart.com/hardware/general/1263389/) that it's the 4x6 one and it's $200, could be wacom cut a few things for the smaller one. either way, do want.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I've had a few low end tablets at work and home. I would definitely go with Wacom if you can spare the extra cash. Its well worth it. Many of the other cheaper ones haven't got the accuracy or precession and some had very wobbly lines.

I am using a Wacom Graphire A6 and its served me very well for a few years now. A friend at work has the smallest Bamboo which seems very good. Although I haven't had a go of it. I expect its pretty much the same as the graphire.

TBH I prefer smaller tablets and even though I've got a 12"x9" tablet at work, I have cut the active area down to suit my needs. I am thinking of buying a more pricey tablet that supports tilt but i'm not sure its worth it really.

anyway....conclusion

Wacom Graphire A6 will not disappoint
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    He mentions something about the final not having express keys? I hope thats only for the small 4x6 version.

Anyway, I'm saving up for a cintiq, anybody has any info on a new cintiq? :P
    But first I have to inform about the drawing surface of the 21UX, since I am hearing something about the new ones not having a glass surface thus getting easily scratched. some even having scratches on it when bought
  • brwnbread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brwnbread polycounter lvl 13
    8FtSpider wrote: »
    sigh.....

I just bought an Intuos 3 6x11 not a month ago and now they're coming out with Intuos 4. Fucking figures.

fucking. same. :poly127:
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL wrote: »
    He mentions something about the final not having express keys? I hope thats only for the small 4x6 version.

:thumbup::poly142:
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd love a 6x8 with one of those round strips and two vertical strips below it, all on the left, then no buttons at all. To number of buttons will replace my keyboard, so why have any? Let me use my keyboard shortcuts, that's what they're there for. Plus that would strip maybe 3-4" off the width of the tablet and let me get my mouse + mousepad a bit closer so my entire setup isn't so wide.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    glib wrote: »
    I'd love a 6x8 with one of those round strips and two vertical strips below it, all on the left, then no buttons at all. To number of buttons will replace my keyboard, so why have any? Let me use my keyboard shortcuts, that's what they're there for. Plus that would strip maybe 3-4" off the width of the tablet and let me get my mouse + mousepad a bit closer so my entire setup isn't so wide.
    woops, I ment to say that he mentioned something about one set of hotkeys and the circle slider thingy, instead of 2 on both sides
  • Marnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marnik polycounter lvl 8
    How about a cost estimation for a 6x8 and 9x12?
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    file.php?id=2987&sid=98e99ff08774e2a8e987c07faaa5dbeb

Yes, buttons are only on one side. But rumor has it you can disconnect the cord, flip the tablet around, and plug the cord in on the other side if you're a lefty. And supposedly out at the end of the month (March 25th is the date that is flying around right now. . . anyone say GDC?)
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Just in time for me to get one. Hopefully it will be around the same price as the old ones. Probably not though but hay! new shiny updated stuff ;D
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ooooooo!

need one of these for my laptop

will wait a bit.

Shame we can't get the bluetooth ones over here in Japan. No idea why.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We can send you one for a small finders fee*

*finders fee is subject to change without notice.