Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ground Control II tank

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
wasker polycounter lvl 7
Hey dudes (and dudettes?) here's a tank I did for a school assignment, we got to chose between 4 exisiting concepts for the game ground control II,

poly limit 3.5k
2 x 512 maps and 3 materials were allowed, i used a phongx2 and 1xblinn for the tracks
1x256x128 for the track

All normal map details were modeled as seperate meshes in maya and then projected onto the original surface. the bullet holes and correded surfaces were modeled in zbrush and cut out and placed in photoshop.

Deadline was yesterday so I might aswell share it with you.

comments, crits and hits are appreciated.

lots of love
w
presentation2small.jpg
w1500.png
my.php?image=presentation2small.jpg

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like what you did, nice work =)

Have the concept handy?
    What about in game "sized" screen shots?

Crits:
    - The top turret seems a bit dense?

- You could probably push the spec and diffuse a bit farther. You could use the spec to shine up some of the edges on the normal map. It looks like you might have done it a little? But it might not be enough to show up.

- Since this is a RTS unit you probably need to push things a little farther then you would for a FPS game so they show up at the actual game size and concentrate not so much on the sides but on the top. If that makes any sense at all.

- Even at this size its loosing some of the detail in the diffuse and normal. You might have stayed zoomed in too much and not stepped back far enough?

Nice stuff though, do more =)
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice - the Ground Control series are awesome games. The only crit that I have is that the diffuse map is sort of weak for the amount of detail this model has. I personaly think that if it were desaturated with perhaps some more accent colors in it the overall model would look a little more believable. Just my 2 cents tho, its better than any lowpoly work Ive ever done.

-Nick
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    if i were to criticize the design... nah, won't do that.
    yeah i agree, the diffuse texture is VERY plain.
    it needs more welds, more stuff.. more.. add some tools on there, like hacks, shovels, chains, barbwire, stowage, anti-skid pads, attachment points for maintenance, engine cooling grilles... anything.. just make it look more interesting.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bah hell, couldn't help it, military meshes is down and i got nothing better to do:

changes.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deja, ha couldn't resist, oh well those are some good ideas. =)
  • Chclve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the tank i chose for the assigment.

Ps. I know the textures are lacking, but im trying to get better :)image002k.jpg
    tankpresentation.jpg
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Dejawolf has some clever ideas that add detail and personality.

I'd play around with some (hand painted?) Ambient Occlusion. The lighting on RTS engines generally isn't anything special and your unit would be rather small; therefore, it never hurts to make the forms a bit more obvious by having concave areas be darker and convex edges be whiter than normal.

Secondly, dirt! You have some, but some thick mud could really add character. On top of that, it would make the wheels obviously assymmetrical (as opposed to white discs), which shows the rotation nicely.

Anyway, good work :) .
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, mud adds lots of character, along with general grime in all sorts of nooks and crevices.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    I'd look closer at the concept and texture in some of the small details. Like the letters/numbers on the turret. And as said before, get an AO-bake in there, and get some dirt going :)
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also had the same assignment. Here are my results:

Tried a lot of different textures since thats my weakness and what I should practice. So sorry for the long jpg.

Presentation2.jpg