Home General Discussion

Guy arrested for photographing sewer grates

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
This guy got arrested and held for 2 days under suspicion that he was photographing sewer grates in Manchester but was released when they couldn't find any pictures of the sewer grate on his cell
link

It made me think of all the times I've wandered around taking photos of random stuff for reference.

Replies

• Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    What the fuck? So should i be worried about the millions of photos i'll be taking while i'm over in the UK?
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    under SUSPICION he was arrested? like, he didn't even do it? wtfs
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    so i guess renting a ryder truck for my reference trip to D.C. is a bad idea huh? Man I was gonna get all kinds of reference.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    He's got a beard.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah the uk has become a bit orwellian of late
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz wrote: »
    Yeah the world has become a bit Orwellian of late

fixed!
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Is there no code of conduct or something similar for doing this? Can't you go talk to someone who owns or runs that property and tell them you are working on something and need to take reference photos? If not you end up acting like a nervous or sneaky bastard, added onto the fact that you just show up out of nowhere taking photos of sensitive areas.

In 2000 someone got arrested crossing the border from here into the US because they were going to poison the outside ventilation of a building, killing everyone inside. I forget the details, but it made big news.

These guys just had their subway bombed. How do you expect them to react when some creepy unabomber looking dude comes and starts photographing things?

Go about it in the right way.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Daaark wrote: »

These guys just had their subway bombed. How do you expect them to react when some creepy unabomber looking dude comes and starts photographing things?

Go about it in the right way.

No, the guy was doing nothing wrong. Innocent until proven guilty and all that?

People are so shit scared of terrorism and you are more likely to get hit by lightning or win the lottery. People need to stop using it as a crutch or a catch all to explain stupidity.

Anyway, Ruz is correct. The UK has been turning into a bit of a police state of late and unfortunately some police (like their US counterparts) are simply unaware of some the legal aspects of photography.

You however CAN be aware:

http://digital-photography-school.com/photographers-rights-and-photography-privacy-advice

TGZ - hope you have a cool trip! Don't worry, you won't be arrested.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    oh shit, iv done the very same thing when i was putting photos together for my texture database! whoo! this was a few years ago tho...damn, orwell is doing 360s in his grave!
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    No, the guy was doing nothing wrong. Innocent until proven guilty and all that?

People are so shit scared of terrorism and you are more likely to get hit by lightning or win the lottery. People need to stop using it as a crutch or a catch all to explain stupidity.
    People need to stop using "laissez faire" as a catch all excuse. I'm also tired of every arrest being made out to being the world turning into 1984.

There used to be a guy who would come around here and take photographs when people had their garages open, then break into cars, steal the openers, and loot them. He would pretend to be photographing other things, trees, flowers, etc, and then snap a photo of the garage contents.

How do you tell the difference?

It's not hard to give someone a ring and state your intentions. "Hello, we're working on a project and we'd like to take some reference pictures at said time and date, blah, blah, etc."
    Innocent until proven guilty and all that
    Everyone stopped by a cop is innocent. Everyone in jail is innocent. Everyone pulled over for drunk driving is innocent and claims the cop is abusing their power. As usual, the 'victims' in these things always leave out the wrongdoing on their part. Like being rude and uncooperative with the officer. I bet, as usual, the victim felt he was under no obligation to explain what he was doing.

And it's not just terrorism. How do you know he wasn't a voyeur? If you show up unannounced, and start taking pictures of random objects, while acting nervous, you are a suspicious character. If you run a warehouse, what are you supposed to think when some random guy shows up and photographs all your doors, windows, and loading docks?
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Paparazzi are taking photos of stars all of the time, it doesn't mean they're going to assassinate them though. Maybe a huge telescopic lens makes a photographer look more acceptable therefore they won't get arrested? Either way I'd expect the police to ask me what I was taking photos of and why before arresting me. There are things called background checks that take one call to verify if you've committed any crimes in the past.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    he should count himself lucky. If you insisted on looking like a stereotyped irish terrorist 20 years ago they would have fallen on you and given you a good kicking too. Just to find out what you might be up to.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    oh NO - cg-textures is a criminal headquarters of terrorists!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    police are useless, what we really need are vigilantes!
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    But who will keep them in order?
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    sounds like a big shitload of fuck to me. The excuses police make for their nazi actions these days..
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    Funny thing is that everyone can see a police state when it´s in a game - combine soldiers everywhere. But in real life, people will tolerate (and sadly some of them also support) this shit and redress it in some security actions until they realize that it´s gone too far. Or until they become the victim of the system themselves...

What does it tell you? - Argument that games affect players mind is just a load of crap (unfortunately in this case).
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Orwell! police state! 1984! Nazis! sheeple! Big Brother! remember the 5th of November! Anonymous! Scientology! Xenu! God is a lie! the Bible hates sewer grates! down with grate marriage! rabble rabble rabble rebel! rebel yell! old yeller! Old Glory! USA! USA USA!
  • SinisterUrge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @danr: what if the guy was innocent? He would be assaulted for no reason. I find your comments offensive, being Irish myself.

A perfect example of a police state was Northern Ireland in the 70s. I can't stand fascist bully boys. I hope someday we'll live in a world with no religion and social inequality.

The man in this video was harmless, its the police who arrested him who needed a good kicking.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    @danr: what if the guy was innocent? He would be assaulted for no reason. I find your comments offensive, being Irish myself.

A perfect example of a police state was Northern Ireland in the 70s. I can't stand fascist bully boys. I hope someday we'll live in a world with no religion and social inequality.

The man in this video was harmless, its the police who arrested him who needed a good kicking.

i said "would", not "should"
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Sinister - don't worry, you're one of the Riverdance people now.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    there is NO defence of this action. any action taken by any individual can be suspicious if you're paranoid enough, there just is no defence. sorry Daaark, but saying 'well he might be guilty, he looks it' is hilarious. 'he looks guilty' is completely subjective. If you walk up behind some granny and she's afraid you're a mugger, i guess you wouldnt mind if the police arrested you.
  • AshleyTayles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshleyTayles polycounter lvl 9
    I see no problem with him being questioned by a police man on why he's taking the pictures, but arresting him? WTF. I'm sure if you say to the police officer why you are taking the pictures, he will let you carry on. If some guy was taking pictures of my house, I would ask why he's doing it, if he gave an excuse like he's working on a arch vis project, then I'd let him carry on.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I take pics of little kids at the park all the time wearing my trench coat, sunglasses and large ball cap. People don't say much but I don't stick around too too long.

Is that illegal?
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    ghost-d wrote:
    Funny thing is that everyone can see a police state when it´s in a game - combine soldiers everywhere.
    For what it's worth, the Combine had no problems with me taking screenshots of the City 17 train station and their military equipment.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    For what it's worth, the Combine had no problems with me taking screenshots of the City 17 train station and their military equipment.

For how long? :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Daaark wrote: »
    People need to stop using "laissez faire" as a catch all excuse.
    The free market drove him to take pictures of sewer grates
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    The guy was near a sewer grate and was arrested because they thought he photographed it, which isn't illegal. He was held for two days and released because they couldn't find any evidence that he photographed the sewer grate.

So let me get this straight, Daaark, you're advice is to not look suspicous. The guy had it half right, he was white, unfortunately his hair was a bit unkempt and he needed to shave, so the 2 days in custody was deserved.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait a second in the UK you have a don't shave go to jail system? Well i guess i'll make sure to bring my razor, or wait that would be a terrorists act! Oh noes what shall i do!?
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I don't get what your guys' problem is. This is a serious threat! If we don't stop these people who are not photographing sewer drains, what will be next? Not photographing fire hydrants? Sidewalks?
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 18
    this reminds me of a story on the colbert report where a guy was arrested for taking pictures of amtrak trains.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/217341/february-02-2009/nailed--em---amtrak-photographer
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Clarke was being antagonistic towards the police when questioned.
    eg.
    an officer sees a suspicious man that looks like hes taking photos of the grids and sewer grates, he questions him(just like any cop would do), Mr. Clarke is offended to the point of hostility "maybe i WAS taking photos of the sewers, so fucking what? what the fuck are you going to do about it? No you cant see my fucking phone" etc. The officer handles the situation by arresting him.
    that doesn't sound too far fetched.

my friend was taking photos of a secure warehouse at 2am when he was approached by police. he was polite and explained himself and showed the police the photos he took. they let him go and gave him no trouble. though this isnt manchester..

its funny how the news story itself has footage of sewer grates being sealed by LEO...
    does anyone have any other sources for this story?
  • [Deleted User]
    How exactly can you photograph a sewer grate in such a way that it's illegal, anyway?