Home Technical Talk

Default position of Stitch Selection dialog box

Ott
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Ott polycounter lvl 13
3ds Max 2008 :poly118:

I'm using dual monitors, and of course, anytime I bring up the stitch selection dialog box, it pops it over to the other side of the country and pisses me off.

Does anyone know (outside of a 3rd party app or script) where these sort of settings are exactly? A couple of us here at work fiddled around trying to find it, but I wasn't sure exactly what or where to look to adjust these sort of settings.

Replies

• Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Also of note, I would like to reset the default position of the Flatten mapping window as well. When you are unwrapping one object and use these features they keep their position, but as soon as I go to another object the positions reset ><
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    stitch WHAT,- could you at least mention which app you are talking about

I assume max > unwrapUVW

anway even though this does not directly solve it for your:
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/reset-windows
    at least someone else mentioned the unfold mapping window disappearing as well
    the interesting part however of the script is that it actually modifes the *.ini of max where those window positions are stored and once you restart max they stay there. With the command
    getMAXIniFile()

you get your ini file position
    to use this command paste this code into your maxscript listener (f11) and hit return a string should be returned

e.g mine is:
    C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\3dsmax\2009 - 32bit\enu\3dsmax.ini

I could not find it yet- maybe you can just search for "position". Aside from that if you have 2 screens try to swap one screen to the other side till you see the window and move it back to the master screen
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Just thought I would share in case this drives others nuts -

99% of the time you'll want it to align the face your stitching to your new face and have 0 bias (ie not try and scale faces). In this case, you can just skip the dialog and use the script below (hotkey it and you'll be a stitching fool):
    if (($.modifiers[1] != undefined) and ($.modifiers[1].name == "Unwrap UVW")) do
    (
    $.modifiers[1].stitchVerts true 0.00
    )
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I lied. Seems that that little 'Scale Clusters' checkbox is not accessible from maxscript. So, unless all your UV chunks are normalized, this won't do you any good as the incoming face your stitching won't be scaled to fit.

I've got an idea though on how to get around this. Hopefully I'll have some time on my lunch to do so.

Cheers,

Tyler
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got a 'solution' to this if anyone is interested. Its now more about suppressing the stitch dialog in the first place so you can just stitch quickly, and less about the position of the window. I'll post if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Tyler