Home Technical Talk

lcd monitor saturation?

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
Hey we're testing out a new dell 2408wfp at work as we're looking to upgrade the artists here. I've got the monitor at my desk and it's very saturated, especially when it comes to red. I've looked everywhere and messed with all the settings and dials and there is no way to desaturate the picture. Anyone know of a way to desaturate the monitor, an external app would be acceptable. I remember on my ati card at home it has a saturation slider for the display but we're running geforce at work and all the latest forceware comes with is the ability to make it more saturated. Very gay anyone have a solution?

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    hey malcolm how do you like it so far? i use a 2208 WFP ultrasharp at home and it's probably got the same panel because i can't get the saturation and brightness below a certain threshold. the price is nice, but in the year i've had it, trying to do anything color accurate has been a huge headache. i've tried calibrating on the software side to no avail, although by no means am i an expert.

still. big no recommend from me, since you guys are still evaluating it, but if you find any way to get a decent picture out of it, hope you can share.

are you still at blackbox? we just had another vancouverite join us down here at the EA singapore art team.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Get a hardware calibration tool. You can't judge an LCD monitor without it having been properly calibrated. Compare it with a properly calibrated (also hardware calibrated) CRT monitor to check the colours.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i really ought to invest in one, the spyder II we used at my last job was invaluable. still, just a rudimentary playaround with the particular monitor malcolm and i are using proves that you can't bring the settings to an acceptable range...

really hoping someone can prove me wrong here :(
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL wrote: »
    Get a hardware calibration tool. You can't judge an LCD monitor without it having been properly calibrated. Compare it with a properly calibrated (also hardware calibrated) CRT monitor to check the colours.
    Yeah every artist should be working on a calibrated monitor anyway. Do your TV's while you're at it as well.

If you're at EA, I'm sure you've got a few calibration kits kicking around.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ehehe you guys recommending calibration kits aren't reading malcolm's post very well.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Are there any options for manual color calibration in the service menu?

First,turn off the power.
    Holding the "menu" and "+" key turn the power back on.
    Press the "-" key.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly wrote: »
    ehehe you guys recommending calibration kits aren't reading malcolm's post very well.
    Woops.

Maybe this thread will help?
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Hey Snowfly, no I'm not with blackbox any more I decided to quit ea and try something new I'm at a place called bigpark now. Well besides the monitor being oversaturated the quality is amazing, perfect viewing angle clarity and colour is great. So far my ghetto work around is setting the monitor into srgb colour profile in the hardware menu and then use the nvidia software to adjust digital vibrance which is basically just saturation and saturate the monitor until I'm happy with the result. I'm not entirely sure if I'm happy with this workaround so I'm going to work with it for a couple days and see if it works out.