Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Normal Guy Next Gen

Been busy recently but finally got some time to work on piece for my portfolio. My attempt here was to create a real person into a next gen character; and by real person, I avoided celebrities, people with obviously interesting facial features, etc. I just chose one of my friends (thanks Hai, you're a good sport) and tried to get the character as close to him as possible (I felt getting subtle features right was more challenging). These are still WIP but most of the textures have been made (color, normal, spec, gloss, SSS). I tried to keep the count low as well; he's at 4422 as of now (although I know I can add a few more here and there probably). Crits and comments appreciated!

haiRefs.jpg

haiFront.jpg

haiBack.jpg

haiBust.jpg

haiProfile.jpg

haiClothes.jpg

haiHandsSide.jpg

haiFeet.jpg

haiFaceWires.jpg

haiFrontWires.jpg

haiBackWires.jpg

Replies

• Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Too low-poly to be next gen...
    Maybe bump it up to like 10,000 Triangles, give or take.
    You should at least have the toes modeled, and the fingers rounded, you know?
    Also, the shirts arms should hang a bit....
    Other than that, it is ok... I wouldn't call it next gen at this point though, as I said

Also, the silhouette is rather boring, and it lacks life...
    sorry for being so harsh on it, but its true
    -Andy
    (thanks for putting up with it, haha)
  • bounchfx
    those loops you have modeled out in the back? that's what normal maps are for. I'd probably use those polys to round out the fingers more, since they are squares.

don't concern yourself with SSS

also, as mentioned already, for next gen you might want to get it to minimum 7-8k tri's.

in fact all the stuff joopson/andy said already applies, guess I just repeated most of it.
  • whats_true
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    You MUST be talking about Current Gen, because Next Gen has wayyyy more tris then that. Think Crysis mate.
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    ...next is already past, and what is ahead is yet unknown
  • rdramsay1121
    Gotcha guys; was a bit confused as to what constitutes next gen. I keep mentioning next gen as current gen game art (thinking newer shader & normal mapping as next gen). So, apologizes for the confusion there (was that a noob mistake? heh). In that case, yes, I was going for current gen specs (4000 ~ 7000 count). I do agree I should add a bit more polys here and there (which I have begun already). So that leads me to a few questions:

joopson: I read you on the shirt hanging lower; as for the silhouette, what do you suggest? I modeled the form as I saw from the references... I'm not sure what I can do to add life to him, as you mentioned.

bounchfx: why no need for SSS? also, the extra loops I felt were needed to get proper deformation... but you think I don't need them?

many thanks to all, will be posting updates soon
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I don't think you've captured the likeness very well, so if that's your intention, I would start again with the head. It justs looks like a generic head from a PS2 game. Try sculpting a head in Z-Brush.
  • rdramsay1121
    Try sculpting a head in Z-Brush.

I build my base low poly mesh in Maya and then add the details in Zbrush, then get the normal map thru Zmapper. I don't work straight out of Zbrush and import the lower subdivided mesh into another package, if that is what you are suggesting (just not my workflow, and also like I mentioned this is "next gen" as you guys are mentioning, I'm really starting to lose track of what people are considering next gen nowadays... might just repost this thread with a new name next time)
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    I also think the likeness is very off. Study your friends facial features/proportions carefully. Also he doesn't have gray hair either. Also the ankles are too wide.
  • Dodgeas3d
    I think guys r right, you lost everything here. Dont hook up on the "next gen" or "now gen" graphics words. All its obvious here that you lost shape and anatomy here, moving too fast into texturing not finishing model in zb, its not just for details (wrinckles and such small things) but shape and anatomy.

No body shape
    No skint texture varations
    No cloth weight and strechness.

Here is good sample where to go:

Check how eyes are done, ears face skin, hair.... and look at your model.

Upcoming Resident evil

929197_20090108_screen005.jpg

Goodluck!