Home General Discussion

Adobe PS CS4 update

robioto
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
robioto polycounter lvl 19
Anyone try this yet? The website says they addressed performance issues. I'm going to check it out today, I doubt the update can be any worse than CS4 as it is.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=4292&fileID=4003

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let us know! I haven't tried it yet, mostly because we'd have to switch to vista to take advantage of the hardware acceleration, since xp64 doesn't support it.
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 19
    I haven't really done what you guys would consider thorough testing. I will say that initially using the default canvas size the brush response seemed improved. I didn't notice the lag that I had before. As I switched brushes (and I was just using the standard brushes it ships with) some brushes lagged and others did not. When I moved to a US paper sized canvas the lag was back. I don't have these problems in CS3. I'm not using a super high end computer but the specs should be fine. A Dell m6300 with 4 gigs of ram, Vista 64, 2ghz Intel Dual core, and quadro 3600 should be enough in terms of specs to paint in CS4 without frustration.

Maybe this update will resolve some issues for other people with different system build though. As it is now though I don't think this is the silver bullet.
  • Waz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz polycounter lvl 17
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Let us know! I haven't tried it yet, mostly because we'd have to switch to vista to take advantage of the hardware acceleration, since xp64 doesn't support it.

Not true, download this here: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=4056&fileID=3769

Lets you use hardware acceleration with winxp64. Using it myself for the last couple months and it works perfectly.
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    EDIT: WAZ beat me to it

go to this link
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4056
    and run the AllowOldGPUS_ON.reg and the graphics acceleration will work for xp64. to be honest not that impressed with the 3d painting, its definetly an improvment, but only really works well with a high end quadro. bodypaint,deep paint, mudbox and zbrush are still far better than cs4 for 3d texture painting
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    the 1px white line between your pixels when zoomed > 500% is still there, BAH.

Turning off the ogl stuff fixes it (did before as well), just hoped this update would make that not quite as 20000000% fucking retarded.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose wrote: »
    the 1px white line between your pixels when zoomed > 500% is still there, BAH.

Turning off the ogl stuff fixes it (did before as well), just hoped this update would make that not quite as 20000000% fucking retarded.

view --> show --> pixel grid ?
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    lol, people always blame the software
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Didn't know that setting was there, thanks. Had no idea; thought it was a bug with open gl; since when you turn it off, the mysterious pixel grid is gone.

not sure who at adobe thought it was a good idea, but our uses of photoshop are a little outside the "normal" boundaries of what photoshop is perceived to be used for i think.

is there a list of changes in this? hopefully saving psbs is faster now!
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Please tell me "Save As" doesn't add "copy" to the end of every file name. . . I'll be pissed at Adobe until they fix that.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Please please Hadobee, make the opening of 128*128 jpgs faster than 15 seconds.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    please add old win95 GUI performance to improve GUI speed by +1.000%

I had earlier this morning a unuseable GUI because of frequent alt+tab switches and multiple image windows. The GUI is disaster performance and bug wise
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I have huge incredible performance issues at home. Moving a layer 1024x1024 takes a few seconds. Do a swipe with your wacom pen and enjoy your 2-3 second later stroke.

As a whole i really dislike this update. For example the tabs thing, sheesh. Works great in firefox. NOT PHOTOSHOP! ;O (i know you can make them open differently but it doesnt always do that for me.)
  • Polyjunky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polyjunky greentooth
    Remember when CTRL + double click opened a new document? Where the hell did that go in CS4
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    This may sound really stupid, but I can't load the nvidia normal map filter in cs4. Anyone has any idea what the hell I'm doing wrong?
  • TSM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TSM
    Well that depends what you did ...
  • [Deleted User]
    t4paN wrote: »
    This may sound really stupid, but I can't load the nvidia normal map filter in cs4. Anyone has any idea what the hell I'm doing wrong?
    Are you using 64bit? Apparently it doesn't work for that or something
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    i'm 64 bit vista, nvidia filter is functional
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah but only in the 32bit version. Atleast for me :/
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Kaskad wrote: »
    Are you using 64bit? Apparently it doesn't work for that or something

win xp x64, think it might have something to do with that? pwnt. :( I was hoping it was something simple I messed up in the installation or something, so I could fix it.

Well, it's back to cs3 for me I guess...
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    pior wrote: »
    Please please Hadobee, make the opening of 128*128 jpgs faster than 15 seconds.

i can open files quickly, it just takes them 21309120938120938210912098123091329013209132809 hours to save :(

seems like an ok update so far!
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Photoshop cs3 loads images in a fraction of a second, instantly, and i can save large psd files in seconds. Png files takes a bit, and that's all.

I downloaded painter 11 trial and i enjoyed the "2-3 seconds later stroke" but worse hehe.

It seems like the problem is not photoshop only, all new programs become slower or with new bugs with each version.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer : maybe on your computer, not on my work rig, thank you for being so cool.

I even timed it at some point, iirc I tested this with a 256*256 jpg and it could take up to more than 10 seconds. Apparently this is linked to some network and printer connection bug/feature and to the recent documents list (!!!) having, well, documents in it. So far there was no fix (except from installing a bogus printer, clearing the recent docs list, and restarting photoshop), maybe that one patch will fix it.

Could we agree on not using that kind of BS answer in the future guys? Person A can have a problem, person B not experiencing it > that does not mean that the person A's problem magically disappear ;)

What OS are you using ? Here its winVista64.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    heh, i was simplily commenting my experience with my computers, i should have expressed it better, sorry. It's something weird. I'm running 2 workstations and one pc for gaming, and with all, photoshop cs3 works very well, flawless for me.

I'm also with Win Vista 64 (since its apparition on market hehe), ultimate version. Bad perfomance in programs like phothoshop could be related to numerous factors, bugs, hardware, etc.

something that could help in some way:

All my systems have one drive for SO and apps (very fast), and another one or two for data (slower but fast too). I keep desfragmented the drives daily (I scheduled it on Vista).

Try checking your HDs with a tool like HDtach, The average perfomance i got in all my drives are more than 100mb. You may be experiencing a bad perfomance with your hard drive due to excesive fragmentation or because your drives have bad perfomance. furthermore, Vista is specially slow copying files. It's very probable your work gig with Vista does not offer enough perfomance, but forget it because is a supposition.

Anyways, i would check that with my drives, when you write so slow a file... it could be something about HD perfomance.

And well, we should not be so grumpy... so irritable.

Person A complains about a problem with a software and blame it...
    Person B says he doesn't have the problem, so software could not be the real problem..

it's something inevitable, Person B will say the same if A blames the software, and it's not a reason to get angry with others because they comment they don't have the same problem, it's irrational. Susceptible and grumpy people ends without help.

I don't see anything bad contrasting experiences, because if we don't do it, we could not help.

If CS3 does not work well, you always can try with CS2, CS or 7.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well yeah if you put it that way it's fine. But you said
    Photoshop cs3 loads images in a fraction of a second, instantly, and i can save large psd files in seconds. Png files takes a bit, and that's all.
    like an absolute statement, not like a personal experience. This is the kind of things that pisses me off.

I will point out the HD stuff to my IT guy but I doubt it will make a difference as all the files are on a network, not on disk. As I said, there is a bug in CS3 related to network printers and the recent documents list. If I get rid of those, CS3 loads stuff fine, but obvously I need the printer, and the recent docs list fills up by itself. File writing is fine on that machine, only file opening is driving me crazy.

I stick to CS2 at home because CS3 is not as nicely optimized. Unfortunately adobe wont let registered users use an older version of the program. A friend of mine just got an uber computer along with a CS4 license, but has to use a warez CS2 since CS4 is unstable and close to unuseable. (maybe just on his machine - but a good program shoud behave well on most machines, especially the most up to date ones!)

And yeah I'm grumpy, I am extremely fed up of programs behaving less and less properly over time. It really makes no sense, that's why I now only buy smaller programs with more limited feature sets but better stability.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    And yeah I'm grumpy, I am extremely fed up of programs behaving less and less properly over time.
    not just you,- I think the majority of people that seriously work with those applications are the first ones that complain about performance and stability first because thats what matters to them.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    what do you have the memory settings set to in performance pior?

In previous versions of PS I would never crank it too high, but i read some stuff saying that CS4 will work a lot better when it is set between 85 and 90% memory usage. I havent quite figured out the scratch disc stuff, but if you try setting it to something other than your startup drive, that could be another possible way. The network files could also be an issue, like you described... have you tried working them locally?

its frustrating, i agree (like how they changed the channel selection hotkeys w/ no where that i can find to alter them back to the original settings??!?? wth!)

and @ nvidia filter; i couldnt ever get it working in 64 bit, only 32. Up side however, is that Xnormal's newest version has functioning filters :D
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    side note & question (this probably is better off in Tech discussion me thinks):

Has anyone encountered problems with Variations in CS4? It seems to crash me every time i use it...
  • Ajax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajax polycounter lvl 18
    Updated CS4 last night and this seems to have greatly increased my performance when scrolling/zooming the canvas and moving layers. My performance in those areas dropped a ton from CS3 to CS4. I never really experienced the loading file slowness people mentioned luckily (I'd of gone crazy). Flash CS4 and Illustrator CS4 feel a lot more solid/faster to me than their previous versions, but Photoshop definitely got a bit slower/buggier.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Juju wrote: »
    Remember when CTRL + double click opened a new document? Where the hell did that go in CS4
    I didnt knew you could do that in cs3, I also tried ALT+ double click and it got me the open file browser
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    You don't need to press "alt" :D, just doing a double click on the work space (grey) and you got the open file browser. All those shortcuts can be seen in edit>shortcuts