Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Ryan Rude

Been a long time since I've been on polycount, but I'm back. I am one of the many that is part of the layoff family :(. I worked at Mythic Entertainment as a World Artist on Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning. Please take a look at my newly updated website and tell me what you think, crits and job openings much appreciated.
http://artbyrude.net/

Thanks,
-Rude

Replies

• killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Great to see you're alive Ryan. Sorry to hear the lame news, but best of luck finding a new job!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    you have some very solid stuff. I hope you are able to find something soon.
  • Slybones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Ryan. I was checking out your site and I noticed when I click the < > arrows that it shows me wireframe shots and different angles of shots. This wasn't clear to me on the main page, so displaying them as seperate choices on the front page might help?

I also felt like some of the ones that were hidden in this way were actually stronger compositionally than your frontpage images. Like, the first shot. I prefer the lit shot of it because you can see a little more detail.

I think the work itself looks good, but I can't help but feel that the composition of the screenshots themselves could be better and produce some more stunning results. I hope that is helpful and good luck with the job search!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I agree with Slybones, I actually totally missed the arrows until I read his posted and looked at your site again.

The only other crit I have is I don't like really small/thin thumbnails like you have there. I know there are many great artists that do this sort of thing with the thumbnails, but honestly, I feel like it might as well be a blank box because before I click on it I have very little idea of what the link contains. I have large monitors, so it might just be that on my screen resolution they appear tiny, but possibly others would agree with me.

Anyways, your work looks nice, and I wish you the best of luck in the job hunt.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I'd like to see more angles of the large pieces you made and have it more clearly state what you made in the screenshots. Did you make everything in the city that I see, or just the Bright Tower?

Your art looks good. Refreshing to see a portfolio that isn't all mudbox.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I think everyone pretty much covered everything. From one laid-off person to another, best of luck!
  • MDSchee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDSchee polycounter lvl 8
    hey ryan, those sketches are awesome. forgot about your characters stuff. ran around a lot of the places you created, played it for a little. fun game. good luck dude. gimme a call when you r around the way. get fawk up
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    RYAN. MAN.

Sorry about the bad news dude, I heard about it a couple weeks ago. Good luck with the search.

Tonight... we drink.

- ben
  • oldmanrude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits guys, awesome advice. Ill get on these as soon as I can. Actually from all the views of my site and troubles some have I might just redo the entire site. Thanks again guys!!!

-Rude