Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Eyal Chameides

Hey Guys, I was told that this is a great environment to get some feedback about your work. I'm currently in the process of finding a job in the games industry.

My folio is far from perfect, in fact compared to some other stuff out there it's down right embarrassing, but it's a work in progress and it can't hurt to get some advice about what I should put my effort in.

www.chameides.com/eyal

Thanks for your time.
E.C.

Replies

• Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    i remember that game... rmit? (it's chris :P)

Flash site was loading pretty slow and while it looks nice it distracts from the actual work imo.
    Alot of sections too, i'd reccomend trimming it down to a 2d section (throw the more finished sketches and concepts in there), then do a game art section.
    Might be an idea to pick up some good next gen or handheld kinda skills as you've got a ut2k5 thing happening which seems to be kindof inbetween the two but not sure how much it'd help out at a games company now. The flash/2.5d game is looking good tho, could focus more on those games for your folio maybe.

Also there's a bunch of anatomy probs in the 2d stuff which i'd recommend trimming down too... I like the stylized stuff alot more ^_^

Anyways, hope i helped and keep on workin dude (let me know if you're doing anymore subjects this year)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Man, you have to ditch the flash on your website right away. Its particularly awful imo The images rotating through on the home page with no way of you to freeze it makes it really hard to look at your work. Also, you need to make clear what area you specialize in on your website. If your a 3d generalist say that, but I believe you should really think about specializing in one particular area (animation, or, concept art, or, environment art, or character art). It's also common practice to have your name and contact information at the top of the page so its easy to get a hold of you. Remember the goal of a portfolio site is to quickly and easily allow the user to navigate and see your artwork. The more simple you make your website the better. Some artists have been very successful just putting all there work on one simple page like so: http://www.taehoonoh.com/
    Art work wise, I think you have some promising stuff, you just need to pore a little more time into it, particularly with the textures.
    Here is what I would change about the website:
    -Get ride of the first page, if your looking to become a 3d game artist, show all related game art on the first page with either full size images, or thumbnails linking to full size images.
    -Get ride of the flash
    -Name and contact information at the top in some sort of banner or heading
    -A resume page and get ride of the contact
    -combine fine art, concept art, and comics into one page (you may also consider getting ride of comics all together)
    -Organize menu by relevance (about me last)
    -On your 3d art always include polycounts, wireframes, texture sheets and maybe even software and a little information on the piece.

That's it I think. It's really quite competitive in the games industry right now so you will have to really push yourself artistically if you want to get a job, however; as I said earlier, it looks like you have the bases for making it, you just need to really push yourself now. I think if you make the changes I mentioned though it will really go a long way.
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're Fine art section looks a bit like sketchbook pages, i'd just call it 2-d or traditional art. Also, i'd drop the low-poly knight, it looks like a quick sketch in photoshop.
  • Eyal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Guys it's all being taken on board. I'll try to implement all the suggestions ASAP.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    I like the site, it was smooth and simple to navigate. I think you need to make some more interesting work, I wasn't very captivated.