Home General Discussion

Project Aftershock - Indie Multiplayer Co op Sci Fi Racing Game

Hi guys,

Just wanted to post a project I'm working on with a friend of mine called Project Aftershock which is multiplayer co op racing game. Still in its early stages as we have yet to include gameplay elements to it. However we posted some screenshots here at Flickr:

3287072697_87bb723715_m.jpg

And a roundabout video tour of the first track work in progress:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMgrHXgCU2E&fmt=22"]vidthumb2hn2.jpg[/ame]

Blender3D was used to create art content and Ogre3d as our rendering engine.

Check out our dev blog here at:
http://liquidrockgames.blogspot.com

and forums :
http://liquidrockgames.xullum.net/forums/

Replies

• vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    that looks pretty good !

on thing that bugs is that the camera is way too static, I think that more feedback from the onscreen action should be drawn by the camera, maybe play with the focal length, secondary movements, etc when the ship brakes, accelerates, hits something ?

cool stuff nonetheless !! :)
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Along with what vahl said, I would like to see some sparks flying when bouncing off the ground, flames or some sort of visual indicator when shifting/reaching speeds and braking. The vertical track needs some indicator of how the vehicle is being held, maybe have the lines between the hexes glow when the vehicle goes over them.

Seems like you need to work on pacing a little bit. It all felt very similar, very evenly paced. Not a lot of color variation as I scrub the video back and forth.
  • yapdakilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks for looking at our work. We are still not done with our current level yet at the moment and have yet to touch on the player craft and gameplay features.
    vahl wrote:
    on thing that bugs is that the camera is way too static, I think that more feedback from the onscreen action should be drawn by the camera, maybe play with the focal length, secondary movements, etc when the ship brakes, accelerates, hits something ?

Hrmm interesting idea. We were planning some camera movements like shaking it when the player turns on his boosters and stuff. But your ideas are good nontheless. Will look into it. :)
    snemmy wrote:
    Along with what vahl said, I would like to see some sparks flying when bouncing off the ground, flames or some sort of visual indicator when shifting/reaching speeds and braking. The vertical track needs some indicator of how the vehicle is being held, maybe have the lines between the hexes glow when the vehicle goes over them.

Seems like you need to work on pacing a little bit. It all felt very similar, very evenly paced. Not a lot of color variation as I scrub the video back and forth.

I agree all those effects will be added in once we complete the final touch ups to the level as we're still missing details like wild grass, debris, water reflection.

I'm not entirely clear as to pacing and color variation though. :icon_question:

and forums :
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great so far for being an early build. One of the best game examples I've seen come from Blender.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Multiplayer.. coop.. racing!? Bwaaaaaaaaaaa? *headexplodes*
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    This looks really nice. You've done a great job with it.
    Once you start getting some post effects in there (some motion blur, afterburner/fire trails on the ships, secondary camera animation, particle effects), it will really make the game pop and feel a little nicer.
    Keep us posted on updates and post some of the assets in P&P section.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    sweet! looks good so far.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    That's looking nice.

To add to what Vahl said, if you increase the focal length of the camera as the vehicle accelerates you'll get more of an illusion of speed.

How does a co-op racing game work?
  • yapdakilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys just to let you know we've just created our own forums. Please drop by and leave a post guys ! biggrin.gif

Liquid Rock Games Forums
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Great stuff! Inspiring. Can't wait to buy this puppy. I love racing games.

Are you going to have power ups and weapons and such? That would be sweet. And maybe a boost system like in Motorstorm, only slower recharge, their's recovers too fast I think.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    My thoughts:

Too bland - There is nothing, no effects, no impacts, nothing to give you a sense of speed. Try having some DOF, or try bluring around the edges of the screen more the faster you go. Try adding some kind of effect to the bottom or at the very least, the back, that changes depending on your speed. When you hit something, produce effects, like rubble and smoke, sparks.

Gravity is odd - I noticed when you went over the track the ship went up and down constantly... Thats really bad. What you want to do is lower your gravity so the "gliding" ship "Glides" around the track. ATM, it looks like its stuck to the track, pixel perfect, but a few feet up in the air.

Surface effects - You went over a dirt track? Well kick up some dirt. ATM it may as well be a concrete slab, its all the same. You even went over water at one stage, shouldn't it create a ripple, a wake or something?

HUD - Keep it clean, but give us a sense of speed, a sense of what your doing. Maybe try and re-invent the HUD, y making it smaller and out of the way. You don't want a huge HUD but for a racing game, you realy need it.

Other than that, the graphics are impressive. Not a fan of the Ogre engine myself, feels "Cheap", but this looks nice and hopefully will play nice. Good luck :p
  • yapdakilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi odium,

The shots and video itself is just a roundabout tour on the level we're currently working on and have yet to include gameplay or fx in it. Also there is no HUD yet.

Well the Ogre engine itself doesnt really do much. It is just a rendering engine. But it is a good enough base for us to build our game engine around it and enhance certain features like HDR lighting which is seen in the screenshots.

But we will try to include everything that you have suggested :thumbup:

and forums :
  • Elhrrah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elhrrah polycounter lvl 8
    Mandatory writer's question: what's the context?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    That's looking mighty snazzy :) I really love superfast sci fi racers.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    First off I gotta say I DESPISE racing games. The only ones that I've played and liked are the wipeout series. After checking your track tour vid, I'd love to play this one. Haven't read through everything yet, but I did read some of the suggestions, and your replies, so I won't comment on those. But adding multiplayer to this... WOW, is that gonna be bad ass.

Off to check the blogs...
  • Elhrrah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Watched the video again, and a question came to mind. A question that may come off as extremely strange, but a valid reason it does have.

Have you, or anyone else developing the game, ever ridden a motorcycle? Either dirt or street.

The reason that I ask, is that the cornering feels off in some manner, and I think that it because there is a lack of the gyroscopic feeling that you get when cornering on a motorcycle. It is sort of hard to describe, without a coaster and five pencils.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Ah cool, i was following your guys work on the orgre forums. Even if im not signed up there.

I was going to comment on your blog but the commenting seems broken.

Freaking awesome job so far dudes, im following this with anticipation!
  • Codeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The sets look cool, but the driving is sooooo boring. I agree it needs more oomph.
  • yapdakilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S wrote:
    First off I gotta say I DESPISE racing games. The only ones that I've played and liked are the wipeout series. After checking your track tour vid, I'd love to play this one. Haven't read through everything yet, but I did read some of the suggestions, and your replies, so I won't comment on those. But adding multiplayer to this... WOW, is that gonna be bad ass.

Off to check the blogs...

I couldn't agree with you more Jeremy-S, the only ones I'd had the most fun are the ones I've played with multiplayer modes.
    Elhrrah wrote:
    Have you, or anyone else developing the game, ever ridden a motorcycle? Either dirt or street.

The reason that I ask, is that the cornering feels off in some manner, and I think that it because there is a lack of the gyroscopic feeling that you get when cornering on a motorcycle. It is sort of hard to describe, without a coaster and five pencils.

Hrmm you mean tweak the cornering to follow how a motorcycle corners?
    IMG_1005_Heerlijk_scheuren_vanaf_Port_Bou_Spanje_In_.jpg
    Muzz wrote:
    I was going to comment on your blog but the commenting seems broken.

Thanks Muzz for pointing out the comment function being broken on our blog. Will look into it.
    Codeman wrote:
    The sets look cool, but the driving is sooooo boring. I agree it needs more oomph.

We will definitely tweak the gameplay as we go along. At this point of time its pretty much oooomph-less.

and forums :
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Aside from what's been said I just have to point out that this looks slow as hell. Some of it is the lack of appropriate effects of course, but I get much greater impression of speed from f-zero and that had basically NO effects. This looks like you're driving a heavy clunker around, bouncing over terrain with broken grav suspension and lazily drifting around corners. Maybe you don't want breakneck speed, but as is it hardly looks challenging even. I'd up the speed by 3/4ths, reduce bobbing, and tighten the cornering up so it looks like you're really going in with speed and sticking to a curve rather than drifting around a corner with the butt of your craft yawing behind you.

Looks really cool nonetheless and I hope you get the feel of speed in there.
  • Elhrrah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, cornering more like a motorcycle would definitely help. The way it is now, it feels like you're about to high-side.

The main thing is being able to maintain an arc. In most racing games, you cannot really apply true cornering logic to what you are doing, and you must murder your breaks just to make a turn.
    One example of this, is powered speed versus coasting speed. Cutting power just before a corner might not result in a large speed decrease, but it effects your available traction, allowing you to then roll back onto the throttle and maintain constant acceleration through the turn.

The best way to learn is to take an MSF class, and feel the mojo.