Home General Discussion

Heath Ledger wins Oscar.

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090223/ap_en_ot/oscars

Heath Ledger won the supporting-actor Academy Award on Sunday for his demented reinvention of Batman villain the Joker in "The Dark Knight," becoming only the second actor to win an Oscar posthumously.

Very awesome. Glad to see this happen. It was an amazing portrayal.

Replies

• Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    No surprises here :)
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    He earned it! That performance of the Joker made the movie.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    not surprised at all either. The oscars are so political I couldnt imagine him not winning. Thats not to say of course that he didnt deserve it, because he absolutely did.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    If he didn't win, there would be riots in the streets! RAWR!
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Yes, no surprise, but totally thrilled :D An amazing actor, who did an amazing job in that movie, and truly made the movie. I will miss him... I already do :(

But I'm also very excited that Slumdog Millionaire won Best Picture (Along with many other awards) because that movie is fucking AMAZING. Anyone else seen it? Truly deserved to win.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I think he would have won even if he were alive. They did a nice job with it though, and I liked that they brought his family up to accept his award.

Overall, I thought tonight's Oscars were great! They were much better this year than the past few. And while I love Jon Stewart, Hugh did a great job.

I loved how they presented the actor/actresses oscars, bringing out 5 previous winners, each talking about an individual nominee and WHY s/he was nominated. I thought that was very classy, and very cool, and much better than the usual "and the nominees are."

I also really like how they handled the musical numbers tonight. Usually they're the time when everyone gets up and goes to the bathroom. Tonight, though 2 were from the same movie, the way they blended the 3 nominees together, as well as having a more lively stage show for them, made the whole presentation much more bearable.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Penn was great in Milk, and Slumdog was fantastic.

I had kinda expected The Wrestler to pick something up.
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    I feel like Mickey got the shaft. I don't know of any other actor that could have played his character and pulled it off the way he did. I need to see milk, and from what I hear, Penn did a great job. I am happy for Penn and the rest of the noms, but I looked at it like this, everyone of the the other actors who were nominated, including Penn...could have been played by another actor...Rourke is the wrestler, and no one else could have done it the way he did. I am happy for Heath as well...sad to think that he could only achieve this in death...but that is the name of the game I guess. Grats to them all.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slumdog was amazing!

And Heath Ledger did a great job in Dark Knight!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I felt he should have been nominated for it, but not won it. He won because they haven't given out a post-humous oscar for decades, and because of the mass hysteria surrounding his performance in the film. He was good in the film, but not better than Jack Nicholson in the original movie.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    he deserved it, but mark hamill IS joker
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    LOL @ Mar

he did the best joker ever.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Props to Ben Stiller for his Joaquin Pheonix impression :)

Heath winning was no big surprise, but well deserved.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I have a friend who hasn't seen DK yet (huge comic buff too believe it or not), who didn't think Heath deserved it only because he felt the hoopla was completely based on his DEATH and not his performance.

I told him fuck death, fuck the role of the joker, That performance might just be the best performance by an actor EVER, in the history of cinema.

If he didn't win, I'm sure everyone would smell something fishy.

Good for Slumdog on sweeping pretty much every other category. Fantastic film.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    I think Heath would have won that either way. He was absolutely amazing. Truly haunting.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome that he won! :D

His Joker was the first time I've been to a cinema and felt scared/nervous of/by a character...
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    To bad he is dead. He deserved to win because of his acting and not his tragic death. You can't really compare Nicholson's Joker to Ledger's Joker. For one the Joker in the original movie was very one dimensional, but not because of Jack's acting, but how that character was written. In this version the Joker was a lot more interesting. If only Batman didn't talk like a btch the movie would have been way better, Every time he opened his damn mouth I wanted to scream bring Micheal Keaton in this film he doesn't talk like a btch. LOL
  • [Deleted User]
    He was good in the film, but not better than Jack Nicholson in the original movie.
    I know this is all subjective, but I mean, come on. I don't think there was ever a moment of the Nicholson one where I forgot it was really Nicholson. Ledger disappeared into it completely. He totally deserved it, and not for popping too many pills.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I felt he should have been nominated for it, but not won it. He won because they haven't given out a post-humous oscar for decades, and because of the mass hysteria surrounding his performance in the film. He was good in the film, but not better than Jack Nicholson in the original movie.

The Burtman movies are both really freakin' bad. Nicholson did a good job in that movie but he was nowhere near Ledger's performance. He certainly didn't have the quality of script to work with, and Nicholson has become a much better actor in his later years than he was then, and I think you may be viewing it through rose-colored glasses a bit. Nicholson's Joker is good, but never really captured the mentally damaged feeling that Ledger did.