Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Stephen Schulze

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
Old link removed and replaced with new, sexier one.

http://www.behance.net/SSchulze
A portfolio of my personal and professional artwork.

I'm looking for work. Almost 5 years experience. 8 shipped titles.
Currently situated in Melbourne, Australia. Happy to relocate.

C&C welcome.

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I think this link
    http://flickr.com/photos/stephenschulze/
    might be more browsing-friendly since it shows many things at once.

Good luck!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's nice because you can see everything at once, but it's a bunch of uncategorised links with appended descriptions. It's pretty confusing to look at.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I agree with Pior about the setup.

Jackablade: I think you might be biased in your belief setup wise because you already know your own work inside and out. By this I mean, those tiny thumbnails don't give me a good idea what I am going to be looking at if I click on them (but you of course know what they are already). So I really don't know until a few clicks on each, and it becomes annoying quickly.
    For your professional work, I would do something like split your stuff up by the game. I'm not sure if you have worked on multiple titles or not, but this would tell a lot about what one will see right off the bat. Then just all mid size images like pior showed, with the ability to click on each and see a high res image. You could always photoshop the images and write in polycounts, texture sizes etc right on the image itself.
    Good luck with the job hunt.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    seriously, host the images somewhere else. An adobe Photoshop contact sheet would be more useful than flickr. I cannot stand how it doesn't show you full sized images unless you click the full sized image button on each image.

you should watermark each image with name/contact info, because looking at the images I have no idea who you are.

Flickr is nice for casual photo sharing but it really doesn't make for nice galleries.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    very cool DS stuff man :)

Regarding the presentation, i agree that flickr is not the best place to post images.
    If u want some free site for that try myfolio.com - at least it is suited for portfolios even though it is not ideal and won't be better than your own website.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, point well taken.
    I've had a bit of a look around and thing maybe Behance might be a decent option.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right then gentlemen, let's try this once more. With style.
    http://www.behance.net/SSchulze
    I think that pretty much improves on all of the problem areas of the previous version.

Now, I've done my bit. Now it's your turn: give me a job. You know you want to.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    its a bit better but I dont know wether people would really think of using behance as a professional approach to displaying a portfolio, the guys here on polycount seem to have made some pretty cool pages using wordpress. I mean on behance theres a whole lot of buttons and information on the page(myhome, circles, page visits etc) which are nothing to do with you or your work. Also I dont think the the colour scheme you have chosen(the light brown etc) works with the scheme behance has used on the main bars at the top(bright blue and white) which almost forces you to adhere to a colour scheme which would work with theirs.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You may be right on the colour scheme front. It's a pity about the horrible garish blue colour. I might have a bit more of a look at it.

The other aspect though I don't think I agree with. While there are some buttons that don't need to be there, there are on a blog page too. This also has the advantage of already being set up for portfolios and has a number of nice features for displaying such.

Could I get some other perspectives? I really rather like Behance.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Sorry man, I'm really not too fond of the new approach. I agree with Ged, its just too busy and I'm not sure you can really fix this. I'd like to see a really clean and simple approach over anything else. Why not just bite the bullet and make your own site? It would cost like $100.00 or less for a year; and take a day to setup. I mean, if your making a carreer out of this portfolio, isn't it worth the investment? You have some really nice work, its a shame that its kinda of being lost with something as dumb as poor web design.