Home Technical Talk

UV replication?

etsuja
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
etsuja polycounter lvl 17
I'm looking for a program that will set the UVs of every single tri in a mesh to the same value.
So, vertex 1 from all tris are in the same UV coord and so on. Anyone nkow of such a program, script, utility, or anything?

Replies

• kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    What 3D software package are you using? What do you need this for? Could you give us a scenario, preferably with screenshots.

I can think of a few ways in Maya, but none of them are solid enough to hold for all scenarios. Problem I see is which vertex you consider being "vertex 1". How would the 3D app know that? I suppose most 3D apps index their each vertex with a unique number, so there should only be one "vertex #1" on each of your models. Like the Unitize command for instance. It would probably do the trick if you have all quads, but orientation of each uv shell would be an issue.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    In 3d max you can save and load UV sets. The buttons are located in the parameters rollout of the Unwrap UVW modifier, under Edit. Thats assuming your object has the same number of vertices, so you can pose/rig a mesh before UVing, and then do the UVs on the relaxed unposed model and save the .uvw file and then load it onto the posed one.

But I dont know why you would want to do it in that order :p

Edit: I dont think I understand the question :(
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    possible soloution would maxscript,- if I understand it correctly though you need equal faces though otherwise you cant stack them.

uvLayout has a option to stack uv-islands of the same type - but you have to define a distribution corner for each island though.